šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hannah O

Hello all! My 7 year old red cocker spaniel developed struvite issues 3 years ago. He had them flushed twice and was placed into Hills CD diet which I was told was a life long preventative measure. He has since developed oxalate issues due to the long term acidic nature of his urine. He has also developed a bit of a leak (no infection present) which makes it hard to flush him with high volumes of water, though we go our best. Has anyone had a dog with both struvite and oxalate issues? I’m struggling to find info as treatment for one can exacerbate the other and finding balance is proving very challenging so far. Thank you, all constructive ideas gratefully received.

#137431 Report Abuse
    anonymous

/forums/search/struvite+oxalate/

I hope some of my posts help.

Ask questions after you review and I will do my best to answer.

#137675 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Hannah O-

I only have experience with struvite crystals. They can be dissolved, the oxalate ones cannot.

I feed my cat that has experienced a blockage an Royal Canin Rx Diet. It has an S/O index, which is supposed to help prevent both types of crystal/stones. I would imagine they would have a similar formula for dogs. Does your dog have a urinary tract infection? Often with dogs, they coincide with crystals.

Below is a link that may be helpful. I’m sure it is stressful. What is your vet recommending?

https://www.vetmed.umn.edu/centers-programs/minnesota-urolith-center/urolith-analysis/treatment-recommendations

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.