šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan L

I’m sure there are probably many brands of dog food out there that haven’t been reviewed. Here in the LA area we have a certain brand that I have seen in a number of different feed stores. I have personally used this food for our dog for many years and we recently had to put our dog down just shy of 4 years old. She stopped eating her food. We tried different foods but the only thing she would eat in the end were treats. She eventually even stopped eating those and stopped drinking. We finally had to put her down. We were told by the vet that her issues were not related to her food, but there’s something that keeps nagging me about the food. She never seemed to be fanatic about eating but after a period when our normal food was not available when we finally got it she started refusing to eat it. We now have another dog we rescued and are feeding her the same food. She too doesn’t seem very interested in the food unless we add a little bit of wet food. I’d be very interested in how our dry dog food compares to some of the other foods. We have been using Ace Hi Feeds – Dog Chunk Bite Size it is made by Star Milling Co. Would it be possible to review this sometime? They have information about their products at http://www.starmilling.com.

#46885 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Jonathan,

I hate to say this, but that’s a really horrible food. The protein is terriby low. Even the “super high protein” formula has only 26% protein and the fat is extremely low. The ingredients are exceptionally low quality and what little animal protein there is in the product is from unnamed sources, which could include 4D animals.

Please don’t feed this to your new pup.

If you need some suggestions, let us know. I imagine this food is dirt cheap, so let us know also if the food needs to be budget friendly.

#46886 Report Abuse
    Zach M

I agree with Betsy.

#46887 Report Abuse
    Jonathan L

Thanks Betsy and Zach for your responses. It does really disturb me and makes me wonder if we could have prevented having to have put our dear Velvet down with different food. Well, at this point we can’t obviously reverse what happened but I certainly don’t want to have something similar happen with Olive.
    Yes, the food is inexpensive and yes we do have financial limitations. I was thinking that based on what I have read here that we would go with Kirkland Signature Adult Chicken. We can purchase that locally and I think it will fit our budget. Is that a good option? Or is there a better option that would be similarly priced?

#46889 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

We live and learn. Maybe it was the food, maybe not. I’m so sorry for the loss of your pup. It’s very painful when we have to say good bye.

First, check this: http://victordogfood.com/

In the black bar near the top of the page, it says something like find a dealer. I put in Los Angeles and found several local retailers. Victor makes some great foods and locally for me, the grain inclusive varieties run about $40 for 40 pounds and the same for 30 pounds of grain free. Very quality products, reputable manufacturer, good customer service from the company.

If you can’t buy it locally, check out Dr. Tim’s, Eagle Pack, Horizon Legacy, Earthborn, Infinia and NutriSource. Pure Balance from Wal-Mart is also a good choice.

The only thing that bothers me about Kirkland and Natures Domain dry dog foods, is that they’re made by Diamond. However, on the West Coast, your food “should” come from the Diamond plant with a much better reputation than that in the Southern US.

#46935 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

Hi Jonathan , I agree with Betsy. I use Victor dog food, the grain free formulas. I get 30lbs for around 40 dollars. I need big bags because I have 3 dogs. Since you only have 1 dog, and are on a tight budget, you could go for the grain inclusive. Those are around $20 for 20lbs. If you follow the link Betsy left, you can email the company and ask for a free sample. Or call a store in your area, and ask if they have free samples. My 3 love Victor foods.

#46937 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

another point to keep in mind when comparing dog food prices for your budget is how much you feed. I took the food you linked (and I wholeheartedly agree with everyone else to get off that food) and for my dogs, it’s recommending up to 2 cups a day-that’s double what I feed them on pretty much anything that they are on at the time (I rotate brands-I also use toppers and do a fair amount of training so they don’t get quite as much as recommended) whereas the victor grain free has them on 1.5 cups-this adds up a lot over a year for food cost. Victor is certainly a good option it seems-I haven’t used it, can’t get it locally and online victor is a bit pricy for something that I can’t test-but a lot of people swear by it. Betsy linked some good options as well. Hard to say what would be best because your budget is your budget, but there are certainly options within every price range that would be sufficient

Good luck

#46938 Report Abuse
    Jonathan L

Thank you ALL for your responses! I really appreciate the input! This really has pointed me in the right direction. This will really help!

#46941 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Please keep us posted!

We’ll be eager to hear what foods might be available to you and how things are going for you and your new pup.

#46949 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I agree with a everyone else. If price is an issue, I’d look at Dr Tims, Victor & Hi Tek Naturals.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.