🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 364 total)
  • Author
    theBCnut

Hey everybody, this is entirely unrelated to dog food. As many of you know, I have an about 28 year old miniature horse. He is starting to show his age and has a few minor health problems that have cropped up, but this morning he seems to be doing particularly bad. You’ll laugh, but particularly bad for him is leaving part of his breakfast and wandering over to stare off into the woods. It may or may not be bad at all, but the last horse I had to have put down had kidney failure and that was exactly what he did when it was time to go. So, I’m a bit freaked out and would really appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers on my little old man’s behalf. It really may be nothing, but this just isn’t right for a little guy whose routine varies very little, day to day.

#65807 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

It freaks me out a little bit when a foster pug won’t eat, especially since it just had heartworm treatment. The first several days are worrisome. We”ll be sending positive thoughts your way. Hope it’s nothing major and he gets back to his old self.

#65810 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I’m so sorry to hear about Smokey! I hope he just was distracted by something interesting out there in the woods and is feeling perky again soon. Prayers for your little man.

#65811 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I’ve got an older fellow too so I know your concern. Sending positive thoughts your way & hoping he just filled up on hay and didn’t have room for all of his breakfast.

#65812 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

There were some unusual song birds going on this morning right where he was standing and I have been trying hydration hay for him the last 3 days, so maybe that’s the case. He’s wandering around grazing now and acting like his normal self. Maybe he just wanted extra attention this morning, but he is definitely starting to have age issues, so every little thing is making me examine him closely. I’m waiting to see when the vet can come out for a regular appointment. I decided that at the very least, it would be prudent to do blood work. I can still have them out for an emergency, if he starts acting strange again, but I sure hope I don’t have to.

#65814 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I hope it is nothing serious. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers today.

#65815 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Patty, he’s lucky to have such a knowledgeable Mom! I’ll be thinking of you and praying that it’s nothing to worry about. He’s a cute little guy.

#65817 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi BC. Just saw your post. Of course I’ll keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers. I admit that I know nothing about horses other than to ride them but I was wondering if it’s just a little dementia and nothing more. Hopefully he was just taking a moment to listen to the song birds. Try not to freak out around him. As you’ve told me, animals can feel our stress.

#65819 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I bet that’s it, water soaked hay does fill them up.

Definitely good to do some routine blood work too.

What brand of hydration hay do you feed? I might have to start feeding my guy chopped hay due to no lower front teeth, loose molars, & most just worn down too, he’s in his mid thirties. Picked up a bag of chopped hay last night, but also thought maybe I should also keep a stash of hydration hay in the tack room.

#65823 Report Abuse
    Dori

OMG! I’m so excited. I just got off the phone with Animal Control/Health Department in the county that I live and they told me they will accept titers for rabies. Have I got a smile on my face or what? TITERS ACCEPTED FOR RABIES!!!!!!!!! Hip Hip Hooray and Hallelujah. No more rabies vaccines in this household which means no more vaccines period. Anybody else that lives in Cobb County, Georgia listen up…you now have a choice on the rabies vaccine and still be compliant with the county.

#65825 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m feeding the PMI Hydration Hay. It’s the only one we have anywhere around here. Smokey hasn’t been able to chew regular hay for a few years now. He’s also about 75% deaf and blind, but those birds were very loud this morning. That may be what attracted him to them, something that he could actually hear. He’s demanding to be let in and fed now, even though it’s a couple hours until feeding time. I think today, I’ll let him have his way.

#65827 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey, they have lived this long I figure at this point whatever they want why not give it to them, lol. If it’s an early dinner, so be it. I hope somebody will cater to my every whim at their ages. Sounds like he’s okay!

#65828 Report Abuse
    Dori

BC and Bobby dog. How long do horses typically live? I have no idea. I definitely agree with you Bobby dog about hoping that someone caters to all my whims when I get old.

I’m praying that it really was the lovely song birds that he was suddenly able to hear and stopped to listen. How lovely. But it did also make me sad to think of it that way also. I hope you understand what I mean. So lovely that he could hear them but how sad that he can’t hear all the sounds of nature.

Please keep us posted on Smokey.

#65837 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Dori this is GREAT! I live in Vidalia,Ga. and my vet had mentioned something about working on accepting rabies titers. I gave Bailey his Rabies titer a few months ago and I had him tittered before the shot and it came back very high and that was without having one for 3 years. His other titers said very good. I will never give him another shot because I feel the titers will be high.I am super excited. Can’t wait to talk to my vet, Infact I think I will text him now.

#65838 Report Abuse
    Dori

Huh? I didn’t realize that Visalia, Ga. was in Cobb County. Truthfully I can’t relate Vidalia to Vinings (Atlanta) where I live. But anyway, it’s such good news for all of us in Cobb County and I got that info directly from Animal Control and they should definitely know.

#65839 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Dori Vidalia is in Toombs County but I feel like they will okay them for the whole state. My vet had mentioned this when he came back from a meeting at UGA. Oh well if they don’t I’ll just tell them I thought I lived in Cobb county!!

#65841 Report Abuse
    Dori

You’re funny. But yeah, play dumb. Good idea. I know Fulton County where we moved to Cobb Cty. from will not accept titers and will also not accept 3 year rabies vaccines. They still adhere to the one year rabies vaccine. Cobb County is a very lax county (for which I am eternally grateful after living in Fulton Cty. which is so strict about every little thing) they don’t even license dogs in this county. It’s crazy that the different counties have such different regulations. Fulton Cty. is literally one block over from Cobb Cty. where I live. Two block difference from my actual house.

#65842 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Well, I think I’ve decided Smokey was messing with me. He ate all of his dinner and licked the bowl clean. I’m still going to have blood work done, but if he doesn’t give me another scare, I’ll wait for his regular appointment in late March/early April.

#65844 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Dori my nephew lives in Decatur and has 2 goldens so I’ll have to ask him about it.

#65845 Report Abuse
    Dori

Lord. Isn’t it scary when they act the least bit different than their norm. It just goes to show you how attuned we are to our animal companions. As soon as they act the least bit different we think the worst. Glad he’s been acting normal again but, as I said earlier, please continue to keep us posted. I’ll continue to keep Smokey and you in my prayers. What is the typical lifespan of a horse such as Smokey. As I said earlier, I ride horses but do really know anything about them other than brushes them down after the ride, that’s the extent of my knowledge. Not much. I’ve always pretty much lived in cities.

#65847 Report Abuse
    Dori

Good Weezerweeks. It would be good info for him to know before he has to have his dogs vaccinated. Just so he knows, the department I spoke to this morning was Animal Control for Cobb Cty. and he also confirmed it with other officers and staff while I was on the phone. He actually thanked me for asking the question. He said he wished more people would ask questions.

#65848 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Dori
    Lifespan varies a great deal, from about 17 years to around 35 years. Smaller horses live longer than larger horses, just like with dogs. If Smokey hadn’t had a very hard start in life, I would expect him to live to about 35, and he may yet, but because he came from neglect and abuse, he has aged a bit prematurely.

I know someone who had a regular horse live to be very close to 50. We don’t know exactly how old he was, we just know what year his old drunk owner used to ride him to the bar and when he was done drinking, he poured himself back on his horse and let the horse take him home. That was 23 years before my friend got him and she had him for another 25 years after that.

#65867 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

@BCnut I’m glad he seems back to his normal self! I hope it was just him being a little distracted.

@Dori Yay! Great news! I’m not against vaccination, but I am against unnecessary vaccination, and IMO, if titers work, use them!

#65869 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Test

#65870 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I’m back!!! Dr. Sagman is a miracle worker! I don’t know what miracle he did, but he made it so that I can access the forums from my home network and computer again! I am ecstatic! But it took a lot of work! So props to him! πŸ™‚

And BCnut, I am happy the horsy is feeling better! πŸ™‚

#65871 Report Abuse
    Dori

Glad Dr Mike got the problem solved for you and that you can now access from your wifi. This whole site is a miracle to me so it doesn’t surprise me that he can get anything fixed.

#65872 Report Abuse
    Dori

BC. I had no idea that horses had such a long life span. I suspect your friend with the 50 year old horse should have been in the Guinness Book of world records. That has to be extraordinary to have a horse live that long. I wish our dogs could be with us that long as long as they could have a quality to their lives. I’ve never gotten over losing any of them. They’re with me always.

#65873 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Ahh, I am truly grateful and humbled for all the time and efforts he spent… It is such a blessing to me to just be able to be on my computer, open my email, and click on a link that I want to respond to… And that it actually loads and opens up. So yeah. Dr. Sagman rocks! πŸ™‚ I mean it, Dr. Sagman, please don’t delete this post if you see this! πŸ™‚

Ok, done, don’t want to make him uncomfortable.

Bottom line – I am a happy Naturella with a birthday husband whom I now need to tend to. (Big 3-0! Woot Woot!) πŸ™‚

#65876 Report Abuse
    Dori

Happy Birthday Brian. πŸ™‚

#65877 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Happy Birthday Brian!

It wasn’t very many years ago that the expected lifespan of pretty much any horse was only 17 years old. After that their teeth age out and aren’t much good for chewing. They have learned a lot about nutrition for horses and about feeding senior horses in the last several years, so they live longer now.

My friend couldn’t prove how old her horse was. It was mostly stories from people who knew the original owner, not directly from the original owner and once horses get past a certain age teeth don’t even help you guess at their age anymore.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by theBCnut.
    #65879 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Dori and BCnut – thank you from him and I! We just had barbecue lunch (Dori, if you and Jim like barbecue, we recommend Big Shanty Smokehouse on Cherokee Str. in Kennesaw) and now he’s off to class and me – off to work, but tonight it’s drinks and billiards or drinks and bowling – we will see. πŸ™‚

#65887 Report Abuse

Hi everyone,
    Well my Millie who turned 7 months yesterday is now a YOUNG LADY-if everyone gets my meaning,poor thing doesn’t know why she is wearing a diaper, trying to tear it off!!

I thought they go in to heat in the spring, but the breeder said and from what I have read 7-8 months they can go into heat. Now I guess I have to start looking for a proper husband!!

Happy Birthday Brian I have shoes older than you!!! Enjoy!!!

BC-Smokey may be almost totally blind & deaf-but he has you and a quality of Life-that’s all that matters.
    I know what you mean about him feeling a little better you want to scream with joy and do and give them whatever they want.When Pepper has a good day she rules-but honestly she RULES everyday -I love her so very much

#65888 Report Abuse
    Barbara

hi BCnut… i haven’t been on dogfood advisor for a while but when i am i always learn something new from you and all the knowledgeable people out there. my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your very loved miniature horse. i can relate to your horse’s bird song distraction…no matter how deaf an animal is they can still hear some range of tone with the high pitch of the birds and thankfully he can still enjoy their song! at almost 70 years young i enjoy them also.

sorry for the non-caps of my message but i went and tripped over one of my large dogs a couple of weeks ago and fractured my right humerus at the shoulder and my entire right arm is immobile for a time…and i am typing with 2 fingers of my left hand! i am sure your mini horse has the best of care any us oldies always enjoy the extra attention. i just wanted to say that my prayers are with you and your pony…

#65889 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi BC. How’s Smokey doing today?

#65892 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Smokey is completely his old reliable self today. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers!!

Barbara, you take care of yourself and I don’t care how many caps you leave out, it’s nice to hear from you.

#65893 Report Abuse
    Dori

So glad Smokey is back to his old self. YAY!

#65894 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I’m glad Smokey is acting like his old self today! πŸ˜€

Also, happy birthday Brian! I hope you both had a great day! πŸ˜€

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #65965 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Yay for Smokey! πŸ™‚ And thank you, D_O, we did – had birthday BBQ lunch, then I had work, and he had class, then we went for billiards and drinks with out roommate and another friend. Sunday we will be going to dinner to his parents’ house. πŸ™‚

So… My little baby (Bruno) fell off the couch today and landed onto (kind of) the coffee table. He did not make a sound as he fell. 5 min later we see him and he’s limping and refusing to use his rear left leg. He did not make a sound nor did he exhibit any other signs of pain during the exam we performed on his leg, other than the fact that he was refusing to use it. We can still move his leg through its full range of motion and there is no resistance from the leg or Bruno. He took a treat from me (wasn’t refusing food) and is now sleeping. We immediately called the emergency vet who suggested that we watch him overnight and take him in to our regular vet tomorrow if the limping is still the same, or if he begins to refuse food and water, or starts vomiting/diarrhea-ing. So we will. I just hope my little guy will be okay. Please keep your fingers crossed and I will keep you all posted!

#65966 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I hope Bruno feels better soon! πŸ™‚

#65967 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Thank you, D_O! He’s a tough little cookie and he will pull through. I am sure of it. πŸ™‚ Of course, I had to cry my eyes out at first, right after I hung up with the emergency vet and when my pup limped into the dark bathroom to lay on one of his beds there, alone… He looked so pitiful! He still does, but at least he’s resting right beside us on his beanbag. Needless to say, he will be carried up and down the 3 flights of stairs of our building when it’s potty time.

#65970 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Ok, so he just got up from a nap and stretched his leg out, and was actually stepping on it (putting some weight on it). He’s still pretty ginger with it, but it is not tucked up like it was before! I am hoping that a good night’s sleep will get him to feel even better. We will still see how he is tomorrow and probably still take him in for a checkup, just to be on the safe side, but it seems like he will be okay!!! πŸ™‚

#65971 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Good! πŸ˜€

#65974 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Yep! And so… this dog has to be the biggest drama queen that ever lived! As soon as we were getting ready to go out, he was walking on all fours almost normally. As soon as he hit the grass, he was acting totally normally – he even peed while standing on his injured leg. He is now walking 95% normally, still has a bit of trouble sitting and laying down, but he stands on his rear legs (although I don’t want him to), and is acting overall just fine. I’m glad he seems to be feeling a lot better, but that drama queen of a pooch… Oh well, love him to bits! πŸ™‚

#65980 Report Abuse
    Naturella

So we went to the vet this morning. He walked, sat, stood up on his rear legs and laid down just fine. He again peed while standing on his “injured” leg. They felt up on him, moved his leg around, said they didn’t feel anything wrong. I didn’t want to do X-Rays – I didn’t think there was a need, I mean, he is now back to normal. Maybe when he hit the table his leg cramped up and he just needed to rest and us rubbing and moving it around for him helped, and a good night’s sleep must have helped too. He also ate just fine, and is now resting again. So I think we’re all good here again. πŸ™‚

#65981 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Great! πŸ˜€ Oh, dogs.

#65984 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

He probably pulled a muscle trying to right himself as he fell. It’s very sensible for him to rest it. He probably wonders what you are making a fuss about. The little man says “No drama here.”

#65986 Report Abuse
    Naturella

BCnut, you’re right, as much as I’d hate to admit it, I was the drama queen… Lol. He was just responding to what he felt, and I just freaked out a bit. Well, I’m glad he is ok now, and I guess I will just take it easy next time, if there is ever a next time… I just had never seen him do that before, so it was a learning process for me too.

#65990 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I am the ultimate drama queen when it comes to things like this. I can be completely calm in many situations, but when it comes to Lily’s safety I’m a total freak-out. I have gotten a little better, but I want to really be able to be calm and so she doesn’t feed off of my nervous energy.

#65996 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

HaHaHa!! It’s good to be queen. Actually, when I was younger, this would have freaked me out too, but with hindsight I can say that having dogs was good practice for children. I don’t freak out until there’s blood, lots of blood, but I do become ALL business.

#65998 Report Abuse
    Naturella

BCnut, I was thinking that too! Bruno is great practice for my future baby/child-rearing skills, lol!

I think that unless blood/bones/organs are coming out of him in any way; a bone is clearly broken, or he is obviously in a lot of pain or unresponsive, I shouldn’t actually “freak out”. I would be worried if he’s not feeling well, but I will just read up on it, watch him, let him rest, check if he takes food/water, and write here or call the vet to consult. If any of the above “freak out” conditions are present, I will take him straight to the emergency vet or our vet, depending on the time. And, of course, freak out. lol

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 364 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.