šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    muggle11
    Participant

I have a 13 year old Jack Russell Terrier with some skin allergies. Several years ago we switched her to a lamb and rice food and that seemed to help with the itching. She has put on a few pounds and is getting older, so I would like to switch her to a senior food. I have not been able to find one that contains lamb and rice. The pet store recommended Blue Buffalo, which does not seem to be a favorite from the comments I see on the site. Thanks.

#24776 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Most senior foods really aren’t a good match for senior dogs. They almost always decrease the protein in senior foods, but seniors have less ability to digest protein so they actually need more high quality protein. My 11 1/2 year old JRT has skin issues too. She is intolerant of grains and chicken. She does really well on Earthborn Holistic, Nature’s Variety Insticnt, and Brothers Complete. You probably don’t have to stick with lamb and rice, just avoid chicken, if that’s what the last dog food was. Feed a little less and/or exercise a little more. My girl is still going 110%.

#25039 Report Abuse
    muggle11
    Participant

Thank you so much for the tip. I will try to find those brands.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.