šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sandy_baby
    Participant

I need help. I did not get any proper advice on how to manage my baby’s glucose levels after she was diagnosed in early Jan 2024. Now I’m just relying on YT for home-cooked food for diabetic dogs. It all started oct 2023 when her belly grew with excessive drinking and urinating. Without consulting her vet, I thought she had Cushing’s so I bought an adrenal supplement from Barks and Whiskers. Then to my surprise, she started losing weight. From 16kg she’s now 13 and I could feel her spine and ribs under her coat. Her vet did not suggest any insulin, just told me to buy RC diabetic dry food. He did not even ask us to come back for a follow-up. I was wondering, is he supposed to give my baby an emergency treatment like an insulin shot right there and then advise admission? A glucose of 600 is severely high! I was wondering what I could have done wrong with her diet cause we never fed her kibbles or grains. She was even on a raw diet for several years. We only stopped because her vet advised us to treat her diarrhea first and to go back on home-cooked or dry dog food. I chose home-cooked. Lately, I keep blaming myself for not looking after her diet well enough. I thought I must have had it all wrong. I realized that even if the food is right and healthy, the FREQUENCY OF FEEDING AND THE AMOUNT OF FOOD is what sets it apart. I just learned today that a senior dog must only be fed once a day. We feed her 3x a day. I love my baby so much and it pains me terribly that I am the cause of her sickness. Please tell me what to do. Any help will be lovingly appreciated.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by sandy_baby.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by sandy_baby.
    #191124 Report Abuse
    sandy_baby
    Participant

Btw, I stopped the adrenal supplement and continued on hoki fish oil omega 3. I also noticed her eyes are a bit cloudy, I’m praying it’s not developing a cataract. I will also be buying eye supplements. We also scheduled her food for 6 am and 6 pm with a light lunch at noon of a soft-boiled egg with slices of celery and green apple.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.