🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Susie

Hi. I took my angel to a dermatologist last week to have her benign adenoma looked at. It began bleeding and wouldn’t heal. THe Dr swabbed it and found cocci. She’s taking oral simplicef daily. Ow and we go back in two weeks to have it surgically removed. The vet can give her a local injection for pain and cut it out. Normally I wouldn’t consider removing it but the skin surrounding the adenoma was dark red and inflamed. And infected. I am going to call the vet and ask him all the questions I forgot to ask but hope I can get insight from you all too. He vet said she would need to be on simplicef 30 days. Two weeks prior and two weeks after. She’s only10 lbs and she’s on 25mg a day. But what is weird is he told me 50mg in the office and the paper work said 25mg. So I called and was told to give just 25. My real concern is her recovery. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with removing these? He’s is fairly small and on her flank. Will they need pain meds after? Pain meds worry me so I am hoping dogs don’t hurt after these are removed. Her vet also said she would not need a cone and that dogs don’t typically try to lick these. Also what’s recovery like and has anyone seen any bad outcomes from these being removed? Thanks. I know my post is all over the place. Thanks.

#104845 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Speak directly with the vet to clarify the dose of antibiotic, not the vet tech.. Did he mean 25 mg bid (twice a day), or 50 mg once a day, or 25 mg once a day?

The thing has to be removed as it is causing discomfort and infection. It will only become infected again when the antibiotics are stopped. No other way to get rid of it.

I don’t use cones unless absolutely necessary. Pain meds are good, and will help with any post-op discomfort the first 72 hours after surgery.

Trust your vet

#104846 Report Abuse
    Susie

Thanks! It’s once a day because simplicef is daily. She is taking the lowest dose. I think he lowered it because I told him I wanted her dosed according to weight and not some broad dose for dogs up to 40lbs. So the discharge notes said 25. He said “half” at the appointment.hen the bottle said 50 msg. I called and her receptionist must have lied and said it was a typo and said 50. That wasn’t good enough for me so Iasked to have Vet call me. He never called and went home for he day so I called back at 4pm and they contacted the Dr and things changed to 25. It was so messed up and I didn’t appreciate it. I will speak with the vet about what happened and calmly tell him that was bad for his clients and patients. I agree it needs to be removed. I just don’t know what to expect. We didn’t go over the bad things that could happen. As far as pain meds do you know which ones they prefer to prescribe for things like his? I want to educate myself before I accept the medication.

#104847 Report Abuse
    anonymous

They usually prescribe tramadol, however, a couple of years ago research determined that tramadol does not convert to an opiate in dogs, as it does with humans, so it is not as effective as a pain med as previously thought, but it does have sedative qualities, and that helps reduce pain. It has minimal side effects.
    Often vets prescribe a low dose of rimadyl for 2 or 3 days, probably more effective for pain. There are potential side effects (gastrointestinal distress) but only if the dog is on it long term, more than a couple of weeks.

PS: keep an eye out for gastrointestinal upset (loose stools, vomiting , poor appetite)
    caused by the antibiotic.
    Sometimes the vet can prescribe a different antibiotic if side effects occur.

#104848 Report Abuse
    Susie

No way will I use Rimadyl. Not even a dose. I’ve read so many stories on how one dose harmed dogs.

#104849 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Well, discuss with your vet..

Example:

Safety and Efficacy of NSAIDs for Canine Arthritis

excerpt below

Owners can only evaluate the risks and benefits of treatment options if they have accurate information about these. It is a disservice to our clients and our patients to guide them towards unproven therapies, at the risk of unexpected side effects or continuing, unrelieved pain, on the basis of inaccurate or exaggerated assessments of the risk of established therapies such as NSAIDs. These are very effective and very safe medications which literally save the lives of thousands of animals who would be euthanized due to pain and unacceptable quality of life without this treatment.

#104850 Report Abuse
    Susie

Right but she’s not in a life or death situation. I would give her pain meds of course, if it were really necessary. Not sure this will be warranted. Our dentist did not want us to give Metacam more than 3 days after major oral surgery on one of ours. He is healthy and was at the time and she still was very cautious. I get what you are saying. But that’s not really what my list is about. I’m here to ask others their experience. I have a vet and I work with him. I base decisions for my dogs after gaining as much knowledge as I can and discussing concerns with my vet. NSAIDs are somdangerous for humans and animals.

#104851 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I have given rimadyl to 3 or 4 or 5 dogs (maybe more) over the years for short term pain relief with excellent results
    No side effects observed. However, one senior small breed (spinal degeneration) did have diarrhea after 3 good months on the medication, symptoms cleared up within a week of the med being stopped.
    I have also given tramadol with okay results, no observed side effects.

All effective medications have potential side effects.

#104859 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Susie,
    Some surgery cases do not need any pain relief, pain medication isn’t really needed, Patches vet said pain medication slows down healing time & slows down their digestion can cause more problems like constipation, diarrhea, stomach problems, also the dog can injure himself cause he feels no pain, so he runs & plays like he normally does, if pain relief is a NSAID like Rimadyl/Carprofen this can cause vomiting, ulcers, bleeding, liver problems best to avoid any NSAID medications….
    Depending on what procedure the dog has had done, sometimes it’s best not give any pain meds, healing time is quicker, if pain meds are really needed then yes of cause give pain relief……

#104860 Report Abuse
    Susie

Thanks you guys! I hope this goes over well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.