Safe Dog Treats

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Treats Safe Dog Treats

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    SuZee
    Participant

I am getting a Golden Doodle puppy in five weeks, haven’t had a puppy for many years. I really want to do everything right with this dog; I have read that some commercial treats are treated with arsenic, others cannot be digested and cause blockages, etc. There are so many stories and I can’t separate fact from fiction. While I appreciate the various beliefs set forth on this forum, I am not averse to using commercially prepared treats if they are ok for my pup. That being said, how can I know what treats I can give her? Chew sticks? Any help would be appreciated!

#12158 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi SuZee –

For chew treats I give my dogs dried tracheas, bully sticks and pig ears. I have never had an issue with any of these – they’re natural treats and species-appropriate, unlike a lot of those “dental chew” type treats you get at the store loaded with carbs, colorings and preservatives. I order from bestbullysticks.com and happydogplace.com – both these sites carry high quality, trustworthy products.

#12164 Report Abuse
    SuZee
    Participant

Thanks, HDM – I’ll check out the websites!

#14738 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

You shouldn’t give your dog any type of rawhide, bully sticks, pig ears, etc because they could choke on them.

#14741 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

A dog can choke on anything. A toy, a stick in the yard, etc. They need to be supervised when eating chews, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have them. I don’t feed rawhide, but I feed bully sticks, dried trachea chews, pig ears, etc. on a regular basis and I have never had a dog choke.

#14742 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I’ve found a great chew that my dogs love! They are small dogs so I buy the smaller size but the treats are made in a larger size, as well. These treats are The Honest Kitchen Beams….dried catfish skins! Even Lucy, who generally hates all chews and most treats, loves these!

#14743 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Nylabones are a safe treat for dogs that are heavy chewers.

#14755 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Funny that you mention Nylabones. That is the only thing my dogs have ever choked on. One of my GSDs bit off a chunk and before I could get it away, he swallowed it and began to choke. He couldn’t get it back up and he passed out. At that time, I literally reached down his throat and dislodged it. He couldn’t eat for a couple days after that due to a raw throat, but after that he was fine. He was never allowed another nylabone.

#14760 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry to hear about that Pattyvaughn. I feed mine the tiniest ones they offer.

#14768 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I gave my GSDs the biggest ones because they can chew apart anything, but the one he choked on was probably defective because he used to have a thing about throwing it in the air and dropping it. I think it cracked and that was the only reason he could get a big enough piece off. It was a pretty frightning experience, fortunately by the time that happenedI had already been working emergencies at my vet hosp. for years, so I didn’t panic, I just did what I had to do.

#14807 Report Abuse
    DieselJunki

My brothers dog chipped her tooth on a nylabone. I wouldn’t give them to my dog ever. But like HDM says they can choke on anything.

I give bully sticks, pigs ears, and the Mercola dental sticks for puppies and senior dogs (makes his breath smell good and it isn’t made of plastic like those nylabones are or whatever junk material they are made of, sorry but I really do dislike them). However my dog is a gulper and hardly chews anything once it’s small enough to fit in his mouth so he must be supervised at all times with his chews. When they get to small I take them and toss them away.

My puppy gets bored with his chews so I try to change it up and find new things to feed. When I first gave him the Mercola dental sticks he chewed until it was time to take it away. But his interest in them faded as time went on. Same with the bully stick, he chewed on the ends of it for awhile then got bored with it. Pigs ears got boring too because he’ll chew for a bit then leave it be.

#18522 Report Abuse
    beagleowner

I don’t have a solution only a question. . I have 14 year old Henry Besgle. He is on herbs for his lipomas and the herbs have liquified them and we are hopeful that they will dissolve. However the main instruction is fresh food only. The food is going great BUT he is a beagle. I need to keep him busy at night. He barks for treats, and more treats. Are there any suggestions for treats to keep him busy at night that will fit in with fresh.

#18525 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Raw meaty bones (turkey necks, chicken leg quarters, etc.) or, if he’s not a heavy chewer, recreational bones (knuckle bones, marrow bones, etc.).

#18526 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Another idea – you can make kongsicles by filling a kong with fresh foods and freezing it. Some good items to use might be: fresh minced or pureed cooked or raw meat, diced hard boiled eggs, pureed fruits, pureed veggies, plain yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

#18534 Report Abuse
    beagleowner

Thanks HDM. He is a heavy chewer with those strong beagle jaws. The kongsickles sound like something that would keep him busy after dinner and stop ‘bugging” me. I have him sooooo spoiled! The raw meaty bones sound good. Don’t I have to be afraid of splintering since he has strong jaws and a ripping method with bones. We got knuckle bones and par boiled them at the advice if our vet. No luck. He pulled at them and knawed. When the meat was cleaned off, he wasn’t interested. Didn’t take long. He doesn’t seem to like raw meat. We tried the bones before par boiling and just got one of those beagle disgusted looks.

#18829 Report Abuse
    beagleowner

Henry is doing better. Eating chicken breast and vegetables and loves it. He has lost a little weight. For a treat we got a soup marrow bone and gave it to him raw. He has been busy all evening. Hopefully this will all agree with him. Also bought chicken hearts and livers. Don’t know how I will feed them–raw or cooked or use as treats. Welcome comments and suggestions. We take walks each evening and he is doing great on them. Thanks for your suggestions and support.

#18830 Report Abuse
    beagleowner

Incidentally how do you post a picture on the forum. Would like to post one of Henry

#18832 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I had to upload photos to photobucket. Could not post photos from shutterfly in the forum (this was a few months ago, so I’m not sure if shutterfly has changed or not).

You can thinly slice the hearts and livers and place in the lowest setting in the oven for a few hours like making chicken jerky.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #19229 Report Abuse
    beagleowner

I feel so smug. Got a soup marrow bone for Henry. He loved it and it was gone in one long evening of gnawing. Then a light dawned. I filled each end of the bone where he had eaten out the marrow, filled the holes at each end with ground chicken hearts and gizzards. Then the next night did some peanut butter. Didn’t need much cause the smell stayed on and on. Made my own homemade kong and outsmarted that old Beagle. I am going to stuff the bone again and freeze it. Sure keeps him busy. He is happy. When Henry is happy, I am happy!

#19232 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The possibilities for stuffing a marrow bone are endless.

#20388 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share these treats that I just picked up from Costco. I bought mine online at Costco.com: http://www.costco.com/Wildsky%E2%84%A2-Salmon-Jerky-Treats-for-Dogs-Two-24-ounce-Bags.product.11616688.html.

For $39.99 you get two 24 ounce bags (shipping is included). Each bag has four individually packaged bags of treats inside. Only the big bag is resealable ~ I put the opened package in a Ziploc bag and stuck it back down in the big bag. These salmon treats contain wild caught Alaskan salmon and are 100% human grade and produced in a USDA inspected facility in Alaska and are certified sustainable by the Marine Stewardship Council. I also like that the company that produces them, works in partnership with small local fishing communities.

One thing I couldn’t believe was how good they smelled! I was so tempted to try one! They also are nice consistently sized meaty pieces. As I’m sitting here typing and looking at the bag, I’ve got both dogs practically climbing all over me because they think they’re getting one!

Here are the ingredients: Ingredients:
    Alaska Wild Salmon, Brown Rice Flour (Organic), Cultured Dextrose, Sea Salt, Sodium Lactate (From Beets) Mixed Tocopherols, Ascorbic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Natural Hardwood Smoke.

The only thing that didn’t thrill me was the liquid smoke ~ ’cause if I’m not mistaken, that could be MSG, right? OK, so I’m pretty excited about these and so far, both pups are crazy about them.

Just wanted to share!

#20778 Report Abuse
    Ronald
    Participant

I use to give my eddie and heart shape treat called Guilt Free http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/guilt-free-treats-bacon-amp%3B-cheese-8-oz

#20936 Report Abuse
    Anton Quinn
    Participant

I give my dogs some sweet potato/carrot treats and they love them. I came across these at a dog event and now order them online for my golden (and peanut butter banana for my boxer).
    http://www.alphabone.com/product/sweet-potato-carrot

#23855 Report Abuse
    newmom

I wish I had read all of these posts before sending mine in. Oh Well, live and learn. I am concerned about letting a dog have a marrow bone. This would be a wonderful treat for Sgt. Charlie but I’m concerned about the open “doughnut hole” once the marrow is gone. Isn’t it possible for the dog to somehow such this bone into the esophagus and choke? Many years ago, my vet told me not to give our then dog a marrow bone for this reason. If there is little likelyhood of this, I will give Sarge one immediately. I think he would love it! Those of you who give their buddies/kids(4 legged)/babies the butchers bone do not seem to be concerned about the ends splintering as I am. Am I worrying too much? The Sgt. would love to have another big bone!
    I do not see positive responses regarding dental sticks, does this mean they are best left out of the picture? I’ve already learned a lot from all of you. Thanks a bunch.

#23857 Report Abuse
    beagleowner

I get soup bones at the grocery store. They do not splinter but are hard as a rock. After our beagle removes the little bit of meat on the face of the bone and any inside meat residue, I spoon out all marrow and fill it with pumpkin, freeze it and give to him as a nightly treat. He cleans them out and knows on the bone itself. We have about 5 of them and when they have been filled 4 times I toss them and then get a new bone at the store to replace it. No problems at all.

#24041 Report Abuse
    puppylove
    Participant

We always gave our little maltese bully sticks and never had any choking issues. It was either that or my $200 shoes. lol

#24683 Report Abuse
    Triplets Mom
    Participant

Hello all — brand new to this forum, and I don’t get to post very often, but my dogs’ diet is one of the all-consuming concerns of my life right now due to their health needs, so I’m surely happy to find you all!

To “beagleowner” – if you’re still following this group, I’m very interested in the comment you made about giving your Henry herbs to liquify his lipomas. What herbs? How much/how often/how long (quantity/dose/duration)? Did the lipomas go away yet? How did you know they had liquified?

And to anyone giving their dog soup/marrow bones, what animal do the bones come from? I’ve spent a total of around $6,000 on two separate dental incidents from two of my three dogs chewing beef bones (usually steak bones like a T-bone, sometimes beef rib bones). But poultry bones which are soft enough to not break teeth cause me concerns re salmonella since cooking bones to kill bacteria causes them to become splintery/dangerous. Is there anyone here with these concerns who has found a good solution? Is there a way to kill the bacteria on poultry carcasses OTHER than cooking them?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to doing a lot more reading as I am able to get online!

#24689 Report Abuse
    beagleowner

I got the herbs for Henry’s lipomas from Pawhealer. Holly is the herbalist that made the Dissolve and even a Custom Dissolve for Henry. His lipomas are extremely large and the Custom Dissolve did liquefy them but they did not go away. I felt that continuing that route was senseless so did more research. Found a company by the name of NuVet that has a chewable tablet with a money back guarantee if not satisfied. My Vet had heard of the company, looked at the ingredients and suggested to try it and she also researched further and suggested on two week intervals to add tumeric, milk thistle and Sam-e every 12 hours.

I started the NuVet Sept 1st and have seen the lipomas getting smaller and in fact one has disappeared. I feed home made dog food to Henry of 85/15 beef or lean turkey plus vegetables. He is improving. Since he also has weakness in his hind legs, I am considering getting he joint formula from NuVet as well. I like the NeVet better than Pawhealer because they explain and list each ingredient and Pawhealer would not do that.

Feel free to check in with me. Henry is 14 and is doing well. I do give him marrow bones and then refill them with his food or pumpkin forva nightly treat. Keep in touch.

#24692 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Triplets Mom

A lot of us here feed raw so feeding bones is normal for us. I don’t worry about salmonella in my dog at all, I just take precautions for us humans. I also feed raw rib bones, they are softer than marrow bones, but still take some chewing. Mine really like turkey necks and they have a lot of cartilage, so act as a joint supplement too.

#24700 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Tripletsmom,

What size is your dog? Mine are small, but they still eat turkey necks, duck necks, chicken feet, chicken legs, beef or bison marrow bones from Primal and baby back pork ribs. The pork ribs are much softer. My dogs can eat those but they can’t eat beef ribs. You might also try oxtail. Being a tail, it won’t have a dense bone. As far as salmonella, I don’t worry about it for my dogs either. I just wash my hands and the fork. I don’t even wash their bowls every meal anymore. They get washed once a week. I don’t think there is a way to get rid of the salmonella without cooking it. I give them bones outside in the yard. When the meat is gone, then they can chew them inside.

#26047 Report Abuse
    beagleowner

Ok more about Henry Beagle. Filling the marrow bones was a good idea for awhile but he gets the fillers out so fast it is a quick fix. We buy the marrow bones and he goes thru them in a shirt time. His jaws are strong. I need a treat that I can feed him and keep him busy for awhile. I did buy treats at Tractor Supply that was turkey chew that kept him busy for longer. It listed ingredients as turkey and blueberries and other fruit. I will look them up again and see what you think. They were listed as made in USA and all natural.. He follows me constantly barking. The only salvation is his bedtime is 10 pm and he quiets down and goes to sleep around that time. He is like a little baby. Any good chews out there that are safe.

#26691 Report Abuse
    koti
    Participant

homemade dog treats

#26767 Report Abuse
    newmom

I’m learning a lot here. Charlie is loving marrow bones. I fill a 4-5″ bone with crunchy peanut butter or liverwurst once a week or so, he loves both. Oxtails are great but really expensive at my chain. While lying aroung and coping with an infection on his neck, he gained weight. Friends told me to add green beans to his diet reducing the dry food each day. WOW! He looks forward to the beans and is eating less and becoming sleek in body. I put his antibiotic capsule in the food and he gobbles all down without hestiation. The empty marrow bones are great for gnawing when empty. His look like intricate scrimshaw. Is it safe to give the neckbones from poultry and not have choking issues. The bones seem so tiny. Charlie is a med. to large dog but I worry about choking. All of you are so helpful and I thank you for sharing.

#26786 Report Abuse
    beagleowner

new mom, so glad to hear you are trying the marrow bones for treats. My beagle won’t eat green beans.. I even tried to hide them in his homemade food but he could distinguish them. I see your dog had a neck injury, well Henry fell and tore his ACL. Surgery is not an option because of his age. He is on pain pills and limps around. He does sleep a lot and I put his meds in very small pieces of braunschweiger and works like a charm. Wetting is a problem. I read that the meds he is taking can cause incontinence. So we got pads for hi,. Sometimes successful, sometimes not. I did find a chew at Tractor Supply called RedBarn Naturals Joint Firmula Bully Slices. Thry last a long time and Henry had strong jaws. My Vet looked and studied them and approved them for Henry. You may want to consider these if you can find them. They are made in the USA. Website is http://www.redbarninc.com

#27387 Report Abuse
    beagleowner

Has anyone heard of or tried Old MotherHubbard P-Nutteroven baked dog biscuits. They are stamped Made in Canada. Bought them at Tractor Supply. They are located in Tewksbury. MA and connected to the Wellpet Foundation. They sound good but wanted to make sure before feeding them to Henry Beagle.

#27393 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I used to use them all the time. They used to be one of the best biscuit type treats out there. But I haven’t really checked them out in many years, so I don’t know how they compare anymore.

#28570 Report Abuse
    kritterkuts
    Participant

Safe Pet Treats…..
    Look at this site:
    Kritter Kuts all natural pet jerky treats
    http://www.kritterkutswyo.com

#30848 Report Abuse
    Ptcbass

We tried the Honest Kitchen catfish chews. My dogs love them but I had to throw out the box after trying to give my dogs these treats twice. My dogs like to swallow them whole (when they get them down to a smaller size). I tried to pull it from my dogs throat when she acted like she was choking. I could feel it at the top of her throat but couldn’t get it. Now I get to watch them and worry for the next day or so hoping it doesn’t cause any problems. Too bad because they did love them. Oh and no one ever mentions the smell. They really do smell horrible!!

#30851 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Can I suggest you cut them to pieces with a good heavy pair of kitchen scissors instead of throwing them out? Make them treat sized so they won’t choke. You shouldn’t have any problems after they finally got them swallowed, they are completely digestable.

#30856 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

If you don’t want to cut them, some of us may have bought them from you.

#34395 Report Abuse

I’m looking for safe dog treats for my Sheltie. Been on the other forum for change of food.
    Here’s a list of what he gets, not everyday:

Wholelife FreezeDried Sweet Potato

Life Abundance Antioxidant Bars – 1/4 small piece nighttime.
    Sojo’s Blueberry cobbler small bone shaped treats – use for training.

Tried Snooks hard sweet potato, but seemed to increase stool. Stopped. I also want to get Jess chewing on a hard bone, etc for his teeth. Any suggestions on the above would be appreciated.

#34593 Report Abuse

-Pig ears, bully sticks are sourced from China. I would never touch them. The same with cat fish skins. hdm suggestion of traecheas and chicken RAW bones etc are as usual good advice.

Never parboil bones, cooked bones splinter. I would not feed marrow bones because some dogs get their mouths stuck in the center. But the marrow is awesome.

Vets are really no nutritionists and don’t know a lot about much beside what they sell.
    But, you can listen to the knowledgeable people here. You can also make treats if you don’t use sugar and use seseme seeds, chia seeds and fruits and green leafy veggies and cruiciferous veggies (pureed).

#34594 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

My dogs like raw beef ribs (or Merrick Ranger Ribs) and cow hooves, tracheas, and Merrick GI Bones.

#35486 Report Abuse
    stevebcny

What are thoughts about smoked bones?
    My understanding is they may be brined and smoked at a low temperature for safe shelf life.

#35514 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Steve, see my reply in the “Hard natural bones” thread

• This reply was modified 9 years, 12 months ago by Cyndi.
    #37705 Report Abuse
    Cesar M

Thanks for giving the website for dog treats. i think its really helpful for us.

Thank you

#37744 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Hamptonmeadow are u sure bully sticks are from China.? The ones I use are not. Merrick spiral chews are USA and good for teeth.

#37748 Report Abuse
    Naturella

2sheltieswluv, http://www.bestbullysticks.com have very healthy natural chews and treats that are not from China. Check them out. That’s what we use in our house.

#40719 Report Abuse
    Cesar M

Thanks for giving the knowledge regarding this. i will try this all recipes.

Thank you

#43579 Report Abuse
    Cesar M

Thanks for giving advices and reference links. Me check this, for future treats to my dogs.

Thank you

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.