šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Marcela V

Hi everyone,

Our 22 lb puppy (4 months, thinking she’s a hound mix) has recently developed a sensitive stomach. No matter what we try (pumpkin, probiotics, fiber), her stool never seems to be firm. She is acting 100% normal, however, it seems that as soon as she eats (scarfs it down, we had to buy a slow feeder) it’s maybe about 15 minutes before she has to go to the bathroom. The vet hasn’t found anything wrong but he suggested trying another food but didn’t give us any options. She’s current on Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Food. Our other dog is on Merrick’s limited ingredient formula and does great, but we’re just concerned about giving our puppy adult food since it doesn’t contain the same nutrients for growth.

Any advice?

#92328 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Go by the Bristol Stool Chart. Buy a small bag of Orijens puppy. If that doesn’t work, Zignature kibble is #1 for food intolerances. Stop the Hill’s asap. And no slow feeder, it’s frustrating for the dog, eating should be a relaxed and fun time. Try hand feeding for awhile.

#92329 Report Abuse
    Marcela V

Thank you!

Is it really that bad for her to have the slow eater bowl? She always seems so happy when she sees it out and has figured out to just walk around to get all of the kibble. That being said, when we’ve tried either hand feeding for slower eating or just using her regular bowl, she just swallows the kibble without even biting it :/ At least with this bowl we actually hear her chomp.

#92330 Report Abuse
    Marcela V

Also, on the Bristol chart, her poop is between a 4 and 5. Sometimes in the mornings it’ll be more of a 3, but definitely never any higher than that.

#92342 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Marcela-
    I think the slow bowl eater is a great idea! Eating too fast is not good for your puppy. Sometimes puppies eat too fast because they got used to competing with their siblings for food. She may eventually slow it down. But, yes, keep using the special bowl. Especially, if she is enjoying it.

You definitely want to keep her on a puppy food and it sounds like she may be a large breed puppy (?) in which case you will want to make sure it is an appropriate large breed puppy food.

My dogs’ do great on Whole Earth Farms. It is Merrick’s budget brand. Their puppy formula is appropriate for large breeds. Also, NutriSource is a brand that many seem happy with on this site that you could look in to. Good luck! Please give a report on how she is doing.

#92480 Report Abuse
    NovaChaser

I totally agree with crazy4cats. But, for a very sensitive stomach, I would like to add onto zcRiley suggestion.

Where I work, Zignature is one of the main options we would recommend when dogs have:
    (a) unknown allergens but consistent allergic reactions to other brands (even the best such as Orijen Single-Protein diet), and
    (b) stomach problems that aren’t clearing up with other single-protein/limited ingredient diets (possibly unrelated to allergies, just sensitive).
    They specialize in limited ingredient diets that try to eliminate as many possible allergens and sensitives from their product while still being as nutritious as possible (note: probably because of this it is not a meat-based kibble like Orijen, unfortunately). I always recommend starting with Turkey or Duck (lean meats are easiest to digest) because it is the most economical and easy to find treats for if your dog has great success with it. I would recommend waiting on anything with Venison or Kangaroo as these are not only more expensive but useful if your dog has problems with everything else (i.e. last resort). You can also try pairing any new food with unpasteurized goats milk for the added digestive track probiotics (especially since its a puppy).

Note that any changes in diet will take a few weeks before noticeable effects may be seen with more time needed the bigger the dog (although your dog will probably see improvement after a week or so if its helping). Once you find what the problem is, you can transition them to a product that closely matches your dogs needs or stay on it.

Hope this helps! Wish you and your puppy much luck!

#93093 Report Abuse
    Kristin R

My 9 month old puppy (mini aussie shepherd/30lbs) also has a sensitive tummy, since we got him at 8 weeks old. I have tried four different puppy food brands, Fromme, Wellness, Go Fit + Grain Free Chicken and now Holistic Select. With the first 3, his poo was between a Type 3 to 5…..I gave the Holistic Select last night and I added a bit of organic pumpkin and white rice to help him digest the new food, but at 4am he pooped a Type 7!! My husband gave him a bit of ham bone as a treat against my advice! Could that have upset his tummy? He has been checked for parasites and nothing, no problems. He also is fine, lots of energy, can’t wait to eat. Should I stick with the Holistic and see if it was just an adjustment to the new food or scrap it and try something else? Chicken & Rice for a few days??

#93102 Report Abuse
    elaine c

Kibble even good kibble is limited as to quality because it is processed.. I swear by Answers Pet food. it is amazing and developed by a biochemist who understands about guts. If you look it up you will see NO red words ( meaning no ingredients that are controversial) When you change foods you are changing the bacteria in the gut and you may have diarrhea. But in processed foods the “natural” working of the gut can only work so well. About eatting too fast, it really isn’t good if they eat WAY too fast. I have used a BIG granite rock that I cleaned. ( something like granite doesn’t peel) and he will push it around and this will slow him down enough.

#93103 Report Abuse
    elaine c

Yes Novachaser raw goats milk is great and can be part of the Answers dog food. They sell it under their name. If you are interested go to Answerspetfood.com and read why their food is so good for your dog.

#93106 Report Abuse
    Lewis F
    Participant

Diamond Natural puppy formula worked for my pup

#93133 Report Abuse
    Kristin R

Thanks so much for suggesting Answers Pet Food. I just had a great conversation with them and I believe this diet may be the best!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.