šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Reese B

Hi,
    I was looking for a lower fat raw food for my dog and noticed the primal raw rabbit recipe had 17% protein and only 5% fat. This looked like a good option. Since I don’t feed raw regularly, I thought I’d start with the freeze dried version but noticed that the protein listed was 53% and the fat was 28%. The ingredients were the same, the only difference is supposed to be that one is freeze dried.
    I know that because the freeze dried product has no moisture that the values would be higher, but his seemed too high.
    I calculated the raw version to a dry matter content as shown in this article: /choosing-dog-food/dry-matter-basis/

and I got that the freeze dried version should have 58% protein and 17% fat. Big difference from what’s listed on the freeze dried rabbit.

I email primal in a very detailed email explaining my question and asking how they determined the dry value as it didn’t match up to what I calculated. I got a very disappointing response back saying that “because the moister is removed, the value is higher in the freeze dried but both product were exactly the same.” It was very condescending and it seemed like they didn’t even read my e-mail as I had explained that I was aware of that.

Anyway, my question is, does the values that primal lists on their raw and freeze dried product make sense? Did I do the math wrong? Links for both products below.

Canine Raw Frozen Nuggets <br> Rabbit

Canine Freeze-Dried Nuggets <br> Rabbit

#119678 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

I also have the same question with the fat in raw primal vs. the freeze dried of the same protein. I love the freeze dried but have a chubby Chi that needs less fat. Although I keep reading that it’s not the fat but the carbs which cause weight gain. Pancreatitis is a problem though for some dogs with high fat.
    Written on Primal’s website it states that once rehydrated Nutritionally, a raw nugget is the same as a freeze-dried nugget when rehydrated or consumed with water! Does that mean the fat is the same as the raw?
    Hope someone can explain about raw vs freeze dried with the same recipe.
    I was under the impression that once hydrated the fat in the freeze dried would be the SAME as the raw?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Patricia A.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Patricia A.
    #119681 Report Abuse
    Reese B

I thought so too, Patricia, but according to my math the fat is higher in the freeze dried.
    I have e-mailed Primal again to re-clarify my question and see if I can get a better response. I’ll let you know what I hear back.

In the mean time, can anyone clarify if my math is right?

If I converted it from wet to dry matter correctly, the protein should be 58% and the fat should be 17%, right??

#119693 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Reese maybe we should copy n paste our posts on the dog food nutrition forum, diet and health or dog food ingredients. Think it would fit under those forums better and maybe get some help with this. I’m also trying to figure out if the Stella chewys Rabbit is less fat then Primal. My brain is fried from trying to figure out these labels. Why do WE have to do it. All I know is that when I look under the reviews of advisor he puts under the raw lets say high protein/average fat/low carbs and when I look under same brand with same protein but freeze dried he has a different review of maybe high protein/HIGH fat/low carbs. Maybe that’s why my chubby is not losing weight since switching to freeze dried. Maybe I’m giving her MORE fat then when I was giving some Fromm kibble and canned? Will call Primal tomorrow and Stella’s also and pin them down about this.

#119966 Report Abuse
    Reese B

Hi Patricia,
    I’ve posted my email exchange with primal in the dog nutrition section to see if anyone can make sense of what they’re saying. Did you hear anything back from Primal?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.