šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Zach D

My dog is a 3 year old rescue presumably a border collie, Australian cattle dog mix? He has seizures almost once a month or even sometimes between that. They are generally cluster seizures and full body. Sometimes large changes can cause seizures for him or if he would get ahold of different food it can cause them including (I think) treats or getting ahold of people food. He currently takes phenobarbital and potassium bromide I worry about his liver with his phenobarbital levels. He usually looks like he carries a little more weight sometimes never at an unhealthy level but a little thicker. I was wondering if there were maybe any diets he could be placed on that may help him with controlling the seizures more or if any of this information is common checkmarks for any type of cause. He currently eats a purina neurological food with a little kirklands healthy weight mixed in because he neglects the purina otherwise, because the other dog we have gets it. If I forgot to include anything that may give you more insight please ask. (this is my first post so I may have missed something)

#130130 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Per the search engine. Hope this helps: /forums/search/idiopathic+seizures/
    Seizures in canines are often idiopathic (unknown cause) and genetic. Itā€™s neurological. Like a brainstorm that will occur at certain intervals, of course sensitivities could trigger, things like thunderstorms can lower the seizure threshold.
    Probably best to avoid unnecessary additives and chemicals and make sure the dog is getting adequate exercise.
    If he has more than 1 seizure a month the vet will advise medication, this is necessary and will help him.
    Uncontrolled seizures can lead to brain damage, not to mention the suffering and confusion the dog experiences.
    I had a dog with seizures that lived to old age on a daily low dose of phenobarbital. Listen to your vet regarding diet recommendations, I didnā€™t avoid any particular foods. However, a simple ingredient food might make sense. I like Nutrisca Salmon and Chickpea
    Also, ask your vet about a rabies vaccine waiver, he may qualify, if he is diagnosed with a neurological disorder.

#130131 Report Abuse
    Lori H
    Participant

Hi Zach,

I highly recommend checking out the below website. I have worked with Rick surrounding the health of my dog Buddy (my testimonial is on his website) as a result of bladder stone issues among many other things. I can say that after two years of Buddy being on Rick’s program, he is healthy. Rick does free consultations and is a wealth of knowledge. I was at my whits end with Buddy’s health issues, besides the bladder stones, my vet was preparing me for the fact that my dog was going to die of liver failure. I was not willing to give up and wait for this horrible outcome. I did a Google search and found Rick and he changed our lives.
    Reach out, listen to what he has to say. He is not a vet, but has spent years coming up with this program and has a passion for dogs as well as health and wellness. He changed the way I view nutrition for my pets and he saved Buddy’s life in the process. It took a while to make the change in thought process, but now, I will never go back.

https://www.doglivershunt.com/dog-seizures.html

Good luck and you can always reach out to me as well should you want further details as well.

Lori

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.