šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Suraj D

My puppy is 7 weeks old and i am feeding a brand which recommend one formula of food for weaning puppies and small/medium breed puppies.
    They also have another formula specific for large breed puppies.
    I want your opinion that after 8weeks can I continue with small/medium puppy formula or should switch to large puppy formula?

Small/medium formula nutrition information:
    Crude Protein 31 %
    Crude Fat 19 %
    Crude Fibre 4.8 %
    Calcium 1.2 %
    Phosphorus 1.0 %
    Total Omega-3,6 3.8 %
    EPA 0.2 %
    DHA 0.3 %
    Energy (kcal/kg ME) 3615

Large puppy formula nutrition information:
    Crude Protein 29 %
    Crude Fat 17 %
    Crude Fibre 3.6 %
    Calcium 1.1 %
    Phosphorus 0.9 %
    Total Omega-3,6 3.4 %
    EPA 0.3 %
    DHA 0.4 %
    Energy (kcal/kg ME) 3680

#147190 Report Abuse
    Suraj D

Can any body help me out.

#147191 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I really don’t see a problem either way. If he is doing fine on what you are feeding than leave it alone. If you are really concerned than call the vet, but I don’t see any problems on what you are feeding now. I have a German shepherd and one before this one and I have feeding both. If you want to feed large breed puppy food than feed it when he gets a little older, maybe 6 months.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by joanne l.
    #147228 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Suraj,

I would feed any dog, large breed or otherwise, with a significant breed risk of hip or elbow dysplasia (and therefore DJD) a food with the following:

3.5g Calcium or Lower Per 1000 Calories
    Actual (Typical Analysis) Calcium-Phosphorous Ratio of 1.3 :1 to 1:1

The guaranteed analysis you have provided above, which refers ONLY to minimum for calcium and phosphorus, does not tell us this. You would need to call the brand for this, unless it is posted on their website.

I would feed any *large breed* puppy prone to orthopedic structure, growth issues, and injury a food that is additionally suitable for SLOW, controlled growth and I would keep the puppy lean.

I would feed a *puppy of any breed/mix* a formula that I could verify a FULL nutrient profile and ensure it met safe and optimal levels of all nutrients, from a good and trustworthy company, preferably a formula with some longevity of safely feeding puppies (my own breed included).

I cannot recommend ANY formula of dog food (for ANY reason) based on just a guaranteed analysis from the bag. No one can (or should). It doesn’t provide enough information, about anything.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by GSDsForever.
    #147230 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Suraj,

I am unfamiliar with the breed/mix you have, from being primarily familiar with AKC (& CKC) recognized breeds. I honestly don’t know what a “Pocket Size American Bully” is.

Is this an American Bulldog? An American Staffordshire Terrier? Is this a nickname for one of these — and then a variety of it? Or is it a mixed breed of some kind? I’m not aware of there being a recognized or established variety of either of the 2 breeds I listed that is a “Pocket Size.”

To the point, and the reason I raise the question, is that I am not familiar with what health concerns or predispositions affect the kind of dog you have. That makes it difficult to answer your question.

Despite there being “large breed dog foods” w/focus on safe orthopedic development in large breeds, some small breeds have the highest rates by breed of hip dysplasia, such as Pugs, French Bulldogs (or the less common Brussels Griffons, Tibetan Spaniels). On the other hand, there are tiny breeds like Italian Greyhounds and Chinese Crested that have virtually no risk of CHD, with no concern needed in choosing a puppy diet with regard to this issue.

Pugs are actually the #1 breed with over 75% dysplastic, of those tested . . . followed by Olde English Bulldogges and American Bulldogs. Meanwhile, larger dogs such Salukis, Belgian Tervurens, Belgian Sheepdogs, Beaucerons (French Shepherds), and Flat Coated Retrievers have very low to non existent rates of CHD. There are also breed health trends, and breeds that used to not have a particular problem, now in recent years do (and vice versa).

Please talk to a knowledgeable vet and experienced, knowledgeable experts in your breed/mix. I would not choose a puppy food without consulting both, for my own puppy.

#147264 Report Abuse
    Suraj D

Thanks GSDsForever and joanne l.
    This breed is recognised only bu American bully kennel club.
    Thanks GSDsForever for detailed information. I will check with the brand and vet too.

#147715 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Suraj,
    a pocket size Bully is small dog, is he active?? I would be feeding him a small breed PUPPY formula.
    I have an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Staffy) he has a body of a bully all muscle & he’s only 30cm high..

Normally small breeds are more active then large breed dogs & small breeds use up more energy..
    Large Breed adult formulas are normally lower in fat & lower fiber for a large breed bowel as they are more prone to Bloat then a small breed is, my boy has IBD & I feed Patch Large Breed formulas they seem to help with his IBD
    I rotate his kibbles & he eats “Wellness Core large Breed Adult” kibble, its lower in fat, DHA, Glucosamine & Chondroitin is higher for large breed joints & bones…
    also start adding 10% fresh ingredients to his diet or use a training treats & make sure you socialize your new pup.. also Goats milk is very healthy & good for keeping their stomach healthy

#147724 Report Abuse
    Suraj D

Hi Susan.
    Actually breeder told me that adult weight of my puppy will be around 30kgs. Thats why i am considering large breed food.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.