šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CattleCait

We raise pastured hogs and have some leftover cubes of fat from making lard. Is there anything wrong with using these as dog treats?

#26571 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Unless your dog is on a low fat diet, that may be too much fat. It can also cause digestive upset and in some dogs would be enough to cause pancreatitis.

#26640 Report Abuse
    CattleCait

My dog is on 50% home-raised raw, could I just mix them in with the food then? I’d hate to throw them out, it seems like such a waste.

#26645 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You could probably get away with feeding some of it, but you will have to be careful not to overdo it. I feed a high fat diet, but I don’t feed more fat than protein. I’m not sure how you can know how much fat you are feeding every day on completely homemade raw. You can make sure that you are only adding some of the pork fat on days that you are feeding lean meats like chicken and turkey, or wild game, but I would probably not add it on days that you feed pork or beef.

#26649 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

When I clicked on this thread, I thought there were actually dog treats named “Pig Fat Dog Treats”. LOL! Glad to know there isn’t! Lol!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.