🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rudy g

My boy bear is 8 weeks old. He is a timber wolf shepherd. He breeder had him on diamond and I made the transition to simply nourish for large breed puppies. There has been no problems up to now. My one year old gsd was on blue wilderness until about 8 months. She did good on it. I read about the lawsuit by purina against blue. Blue just countered it.

Opinions on which food I should put him on:

Simply nourish large breed puppies.
    Blue wilderness lbp.
    Simply nourish lbp.
    Core lbp.

Thx in advance.

#41619 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Is this your first WD (wolf dog)? Wolves have different dietary needs that dogs, and kibble is usually a bad idea for them. I know some WD breeders personally, and they say that kibble containing grains can be disasterous.

I’d definitely suggest looking into a raw food. If you don’t want to take the time for that, then definitely make sure the food is grain free and has a large amount of meat…

#41620 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Out of those options though, I’d probably go with Blue Wilderness or Core (I’m guessing it’s Wellness Core, right?). But you really should, at the very least, top with a minimum of 20-50% raw meats. Or even canned food. I still am leaning very very strongly on raw for a wolf’s diet…

#41621 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I would agree with Shasta220 about considering a raw diet. The book “Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet” by Steve Brown would be a great starting point. If not – the only food on your list that is appropriate for large breed puppies (to my knowledge) is Wellness CORE Puppy.

#41624 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Simply Nourish LB is a 1.2% calcium max-I think that’s close to ok, HDM?

I personally have simply nourish in my rotation (though I only use source-and I think that line only has large breed adult, not puppy) It’s really the only thing I use from Petsmart. I have used Nulo’s Freestyle line, so would probably use the medal series which is a petsmart exclusive as well. I don’t use anything blue, and wellness-just haven’t, but some people swear by it.

Of the three as long as SN is acceptable, I like that-but if its a wolf dog I think you for sure want to avoid any possible grain?

#41631 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Yes! definitely avoid any grains…. Where did you get this pup? Was it a breeder?! If so, that person has ZERO right to be breeding wolf dogs without knowing about the wolf’s nutritional needs! Any proper WD breeder would encourage a raw diet, or at least stress the GF and high-protein needs. DN is not a super protein-rich (animal based, not grain/plant based) and is a lousy choice for a wolf.

Sorry about the rant on wolves…. But if you have a Facebook, then try finding the group “For Sale Wolf Puppies.” I have a friend (wolf dog breeder…she breeds between about 60 and 90% WDs) who is the main admin for that page (she calls herself “Obie Wolf” on there)… I’d suggest trying to get into that group, then shoot Obie Wolf a message. She will give amazing tips on where to get meat and how much to feed.

I also agree with Hounddogmom’s suggestion about that book. It’s a very good read 🙂

#41680 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Can’t contribute much to this conversation except that one of my friends and I would love to some day own a fox-dog hybrid. And if I ever do, that baby will be eating raw, MAYBE with some base premixes (THK, Grandma Lucy’s, etc.).

#41731 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Ah, I see you posted in the FB group 😉 that page sometimes is full of drama (which is why I never post anymore), but if you can find the nice members, you’ll be fine. Best wishes with Bear! 🙂

#41757 Report Abuse
    rudy g

Thx Shasta.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.