new puppy, looking into feeding raw

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food new puppy, looking into feeding raw

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Avery M

Just this monday my boyfriend and I picked up a 10 week old australian shepherd. This is the first dog I’ve been entirely responsible for and I’m definitely consider raw as an option (especially if I can find an affordable way to do it). I’ve read some articles and watched youtube examples of other people’s meal preps. So far what I’ve gathered is that is that I should slowly introduce and then rotate a variety of meats (I was thinking chicken, turkey and beef) as well as adding organs several times a week, and meaty bones daily. I’ve also noticed many people disagree on whether any vegetables are necessary. I have several main questions: Do I need to rotate the kind of animal the organs and bones come from like I do the meat? What, if any, adjustments do I need to make for her given that she’s a puppy? Is their a substitute for the green trife (I’m not sure if that’s what it’s called, I believe it may be stomach of some sort?) like a probiotic or something? I’m not sure where to get that.. If there is anything else I should know or advice to give me that would be great. Thank you.

#59341 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

First, you need to know that while your puppy is growing is not a good time to experiment with whether or not you got the diet balanced right, so I always suggest commercial raw meals or using a premix to which you just add the correct amount of boneless meat.

I don’t think there is really and argument about whether or not veggies are necessary. It is known that they are NOT necessary, but that isn’t the same thing as beneficial. Some dogs have constipation issues on a raw diet and veggies add fiber to help with regularity. Veggies also offer different antioxidants that may help if your meat source is not as pure as you could wish. Veggie have micronutrients in them that may be missing from over grazed soil and so missing from meat animals. Adding veggies make up for some of what would be missing if you don’t feed tripe.

Bone, meat, and organs are supposed to be specific amounts of the diet, and you can do that feeding organs a few times a week, but organs are rich and in some dogs cause stomach upset if too much is given at one time.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.