šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tina Sharp

I have a 10 week old english bulldog that has a stage 2 heart murmur. I need a dry large breed puppy that has low salt, low protein and low calcium food. Does anyone have an idea on a large breed puppy that meets this criteria? Thank, Tina aloveoflabs

#36906 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Tina –

Out of curiosity, why are you searching for a low protein food?

#36908 Report Abuse
    Shawna

Hi Tina,

I’m curious to know why low protein too?

#36914 Report Abuse
    Tina Sharp

I was told that because of the type of breed it is you need to be careful about bone development. The larger breeds grow faster than the smaller breeds.

#36915 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Tina –

Protein does not contribute to developmental disorders in large breed puppies, calcium does however. Therefore it’s not necessary to restrict protein but it is necessary to ensure that the calcium levels are controlled. I’d urge you to head over to the large breed puppy forum area. There you will find links to several articles written by veterinarians explaining appropriate nutrition for large breed puppies and also a list of appropriate 4 and 5 star foods. In order to obtain the sodium levels you will likely have to contact the companies directly though. Unfortunately most companies don’t list sodium levels on the product packaging or website.

#36916 Report Abuse
    Tina Sharp

As I read more about this matter I find that it maybe the calcium and phosphorus are the real issue. I guess it is fine to have a high protein, but no more than 1.2% cal and 1% phosphorus. I have read both sides of the fence with speaking about high protein. If anyone has some knowledge on this subject, please let me know. Thanks.

#36917 Report Abuse
    Tina Sharp

I will for sure check that forum out. Thank you for your reply, Tina

#36946 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

/forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/ Here is the direct link to large breed puppy foods. I hope your pup lives a long and happy life.

#36947 Report Abuse
    Tina Sharp

Thank you!!!!

#36956 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Tina,

Here’s the most recent list of foods with appropriate Calcium levels for large and giant breed puppies: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFTXhUdi1KazFzSUk/preview?pli=1

You’ll want to call the manufacturers to find out about the Sodium levels.

#36965 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Betsy, the link doesn’t open… Is it just me?

#36976 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I’ll post it again in case something got cut off or messed up: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFTXhUdi1KazFzSUk/edit?pli=1

It’s a Google document, I think someone said you might have to be registered with Google to open it.

#36979 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yep, you have to register to view google docs.

#36988 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Ok, I can see it now, but why can’t I print or save it?

#36989 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

One time I tried to print it and couldn’t and another time I could. I can’t say why.

#36997 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I’m not able to print it either. That’s frustrating, I know. I did however discover that you can copy and paste it into another document type, I use Word Perfect, and then print that.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.