Large and Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Large and Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 2,506 total)
  • Author
    EHubbman
    Participant

Hey Sbrooker, My guy is on the rabbit too (3.5 moz pup), we rotate that and the LID Turkey (with some canned here and there to keep it interesting). To introduce probiotics into his diet, I started giving him a small amount of regular plain yogurt with meals(not vanilla, not light or low fat, and made sure that the label notes that live cultures are used.). The other people on this thread likely have much better suggestions, but this was just my experience. It’s helped my guy digest a lot better. Also, yogurt with a 3.5 month old pup.is pretty hilarious to watch. Haha!

#20795 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

In the US, I suggest getting probiotics online from Swansons, I have no idea if they ship to Canada. But any from the health food store for humans will do. Sometimes they are touted as a digestive aid, so that would be where to look in any pharmacy type store. You can also try plain yogurt, though it doesn’t have very many strains, and the more strains the better. Look in the dairy case for kefir, it’s loaded with probiotics too. You can give about 1/4 cup daily.

#20799 Report Abuse
    sbrooker
    Participant

Any specific brand you would recommend? I’ll check the local health food store. How do I figure out how much to give him?

I’ll take a look to find out if the grocery stores here have Kefir

#20809 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

No particular brand, just look at how many different strains it has. Look for one that has 9 or more strains, settle for less if you have to. A 100# dog gets an adult dose, a 50# dog gets 1/2 dose, a 25# dog gets 1/4 dose. Too much is fine.

#20871 Report Abuse
    Newfs

Hi,
    once again would like to ask for help in choosing food for my 3.5 month Newfoundland from food available in Poland: Fromm Gold http://frommfamily.com/products/gold/dog/dry/large-breed-puppy-gold or Husse http://www.husse.co.uk/dog-food-products/dry-food-for-dogs/?product=110 or Enova http://www.enovapetfood.com/photoVideoGallery.aspx?cid=4680&mid=18452 or
    Enova ADULT Breeders BAG GRAIN-FREE SIMPLE!
    Complete food without cereal with fresh chicken meat. It can be administered to dogs from 2 months to 7 years old.
    food without grains
    addition of fresh chicken meat (min. 20%)
    contains glucosamine and chondroitin supplement
    Ingredients: dried chicken meat (min. 23.3%), fresh chicken meat (min. 20%), potato flour, dried green peas, chicken fat, dried beet pulp, flaxseed, dried egg protein hydrolyzate, dried yeast, fish oil, dried carrots, dried tomato puree, dried seaweed, sodium chloride, glucosamine, chondroitin.
    Analytical constituents: crude protein – 31.5%, oils and fats – 19.5%, crude fiber – 3,5%, crude ash – 6,5%, calcium – 1.25%, phosphorus – 0.95% , moisture – 10.0%.
    Extras: antioxidants. Dietary supplements in 1 kg of feed: Vitamin A – 15,000 IU Vitamin D3 – 1200 IU Vitamin E – 150 mg Copper (as copper sulphate pentahydrate) – 10 mg.
    Analysis
    protein: 31.5%
    fat: 19.5%
    Crude fiber 3.5%
    ash 6.5%
    humidity 10.0%
    omega – 6 2.7%
    Chondroitin 250 mg / kg
    calcium 1.25%
    phosphorus 1.0% – 0.95%
    copper 10 mg / kg
    selenium 0.2 mg / kg
    iodine 2 mg / kg
    Vitamin A 15,000 IU / kg
    Vitamin D3 1200 IU / kg
    Vitamin E 150 IU / kg
    Niacin 135 mg / kg
    I know that these food contain corn, but such are available in Poland as normal, not a cosmic price :/
    Greetings

#20879 Report Abuse
    EHubbman
    Participant

Newfs – I’m not so good with picking foods, I know my guy is on Nature’s Variety Instinct rabbit/LID Turkey and is doing great. I’ve heard good things about the Fromm Gold.

I do know, though, that you need to avoid puppy foods that have glucosamine in them. You don’t want to supplement puppies with glucosamine, as it can hinder natural joint growth.

#20921 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi newfs –

The food you posted looks okay for a large breed puppy. The protein level is good and, while I don’t know the kcal. per kg., 1.25% calcium should be safe or at least close to safe. I don’t see corn in the ingredients list? Fromm Gold large breed puppy would be a good choice too. Why not rotate between the two?

#20922 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hey EHubbman –

Glucosamine and chondroitin are fine for puppies. A dog’s natural diet (raw) would be very rich in glucosamine and chondroitin as cartilage and bones contain high levels. Dogs foods, even those with added glucosamine and chondroitin, don’t contain enough to say so – so I wouldn’t worry about it’s presence in a kibbled dog food.

I have not been able to find any evidence suggesting that supplementing a large breed puppy’s diet with glucosamine can be harmful, however I don’t believe it to be necessary either. My two get lots of RMB’s so I know their diet is rich in glucosamine and chondroitin – I probably won’t add any supplements until they’re seniors. I do, however, typically recommend that large and giant breed dogs eating processed foods receive supplemental glucosamine and chondroitin (or whole foods providing these nutrients) starting between 1 and 2 years of age (when they’re young it can be a low dose, just for maintenance).

This is an excerpt from an article about large and giant breed puppy nutrition written by integrative veterinarian Dr. Susan Wynn:

“There are no studies so far that indicate whether it is effective or harmful to supplement with glucosamine to large breed puppies because of their risk of DOD. In general, I wait until I recognize a risk factor in a dog.”

#20929 Report Abuse
    Newfs

thank you very much HDM
    What do you think about diets Husse and Enova for large breed puppies?
    http://www.husse.co.uk/dog-food-products/dry-food-for-dogs/?product=110
    Composition:
    Chicken, rice, animal fat, wheat meal, wheat, beet pulp, hydrolyzed chicken protein, linseed, dried fish meal, salmon oil, yeast, salt, dried whole eggs, fructo- oligosaccharides, lecithin, tagetes extract, sea algae, grape seed extract.
    Analytical Constituents:
    Protein 29.0%, fat content 18.0%, crude ash 7.5%, crude fibre 2.5%, calcium 1.2%, phosphorus 0.8%, chondroitine-glucosamine 1000 mg/kg, taurine 1000 mg/kg.

Additives: Nutritional additives:
    Vitamin A 17500 IU/kg, vitamin D3 1600 IU/kg, vitamin E 500 mg/kg, E1 (Iron) 200 mg/kg, E2 (Iodine) 3 mg/kg, E4 (copper) 8mg/kg, E5 (Manganese) 60 mg/kg, E6 (Zinc) 100 mg/kg, E8 (Selenium) 0.2 mg/kg; Antioxidants: tocopherols.

http://www.enovapetfood.com/photoVideoGallery.aspx?cid=4680&mid=18452
    INGREDIENTS
    Dried chicken meat, rice, brown rice, poultry fat, egg powder, rice gluten, flaxseed, dried beet pulp, rice bran, protein hydrolysate, dicalciumphosphate, dried yeast, cellulose, fish oil, dried carrots, dried tomato pomace, dried seaweed, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, glucosamine, chondroitine sulfate, rosemary. Antioxidants: tocopherols, propyl gallate.

ANALYSIS
    Crude protein: 27,0% – Crude fat: 16,0% – Crude fiber: 3,5% – Crude ash: 7,5% – Calcium: 1,0% – Phosphorus: 0,9% – Moisture: 10,0% – Omega 6: 2,5% – Omega 3: 0,9% – Metabolizable Energy: 16,1 MJ/kg – Glucosamine: 1.000 mg/kg – Chondroitine: 1.000 mg/kg.

ADDITIVES PER KG
    Vitamin A: 15.000 IU – Vitamin D3: 1.200 IU – Vitamin E: 150 mg – Copper (as copper sulphate): 10 mg.

#20931 Report Abuse
    EHubbman
    Participant

Wow! Thank you! I had always grown up hearing that the large breed pups shouldn’t get it supplemented by food till they were well and grown. I really appreciate the information. In that same vein, do you think dried trachea is a good treat for my little guy? I was holding off on it because I didn’t want to get him too much glucosamine.

#20932 Report Abuse
    Newfs

Hi EHubbman,
    thank You too. Now I buy for my newf Fromm Gold, see how he will be served.

#20938 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi EHubbman –

Trachea is great. I gave raw tracheas to Mabel all the time when she was little – great for teething.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/hagelult/368-mabel.jpg

#20939 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Just want to let everyone know the list of grain-inclusive large breed puppy foods and a revised version of the grain-free foods are currently underway.

#20940 Report Abuse
    EHubbman
    Participant

Awesome! (Look at that little face!! Love it!)

He got to try some (dried) when we went on vacation and LOVED it, but I was so worried to give him a larger size in fear of screwing up his joints. He’s gonna be so excited tonight when he gets to have some yummy trachea again!

#20969 Report Abuse
    alanysrayne
    Participant

Hi! I was wondering for the wellness core, is it the one for puppies or the one for large breed puppies?

#20983 Report Abuse
    Hershy
    Participant

Hello, Hound Dog Mom and all,

I am new to this site and forum, but have to admit, I have been a “fly on the wall” for a couple weeks or so. I first want to say how sorry I am about the loss of your best friend, HDM. So very tuff! I pray you will find comfort soon.
    I raise labrador pups, one litter per year, and am keeping one of the pups from the litter our Charlotte just whelped. The “right” dog food has been an ongoing dilemma for me, always attempting to find the best food for my money. But the quality of the food is #1 for me. We have 4 adult labs, and now one pup. Mom was on Royal Canin Maxi Starter during most of her pregnancy and through weening. Pups were transitioned to RC Labrador Retriever Puppy 33. Then I began to study your website, reading the different reviews. I found the “starter” food to be a 4 star food, but the “33” was only a 3 star food. I don’t want to feed my pup anything less than a 4 star food. But price is definitely something we are forced to consider.
    I’m not super clear on how to find the calcium % on the foods. And many say “minimum” so how do I know what it actually is. (I have to say the way you calculate is a little confusing to me, so I need to know just which dog food to use. : )
    I have been feeding my big dogs Victor (a 5 star food), but for pup, I would like to find a 5 star food that is affordable for me, but may have to settle for a 4 star, which is still a good food, I’m assuming.
    I was recently told about Cosco’s brand Kirkland Signature, which is on you Puppy food list of approved foods. (it is a 4 star food) I am a little confused about which to feed my puppy, since only one puppy food is listed and it has a minimum 1.2 % calcium, so not sure what it REALLY is. The link for the different foods they sell is: http://www.epinions.com/review/Kirkland_Signature_Super_Premium_Puppy_Food_40_lb_bag_epi/content_540777811588?sb=1
    If you have time, would you look at the different foods (links toward the bottom of page for other foods) and tell me which would be best to feed my pup. I would appreciate your feedback. This food is very reasonably priced. Thank you

#21001 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi alanysrayne –

There is only one Wellness CORE puppy formula and it is appropriate for large breed puppies based on the information provided to me by Wellpet. Hope that answers your question.

#21004 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Hershy –

Thanks, it was very hard to let him go. 🙁

Royal Canin is not a horrible food, however it’s extremely overpriced for what you get. You could spend the same amount and get a much better food or get a food of equal quality for much less.

Victor looks like a wonderful food, unfortunately, I don’t believe it’s appropriate for large breed puppies (at least their grain-free formulas aren’t – I’ll be looking into the grain-inclusive formulas soon).

You’re correct that most companies only state the minimum – this is why it’s important to call or email the company and ask for the “actual.” In order to calculate the grams per 1,000 kcal. you would multiply 1000 g. (the # of grams in 1 kg.) by the % calcium (as a decimal – i.e. 2% = .02). This will give you the grams of calcium per kg. You then divide this number by the number of kcal. per kg to obtain the grams per kcal. You multiply this by 1,000 to get the grams of calcium per 1,000 kcal. – look for a value of 3.5 or less.

The Kirkland I have listed is their Nature’s Domain – I haven’t looked into the Kirkland Signature formulas. It would be necessary to contact the company to get the actual calcium level of the food. If you can get the Nature’s Domain I believe that’s pretty reasonably priced.

Fromm Gold might also be worth checking out. Their Large Breed Puppy formula is rated 4 stars and at roughly $50 for 33 lbs. is fairly reasonably priced.

#21010 Report Abuse
    alanysrayne
    Participant

Oh okay thanks !!!! I am getting a female english mastiff I believe today and they are feeding her science diet puppy for large breeds and I hear that isn’t very good. So I was looking for a better food for her.and I’m limited to the foods they offer at my petco but I know they offer welness core.

#21027 Report Abuse
    Hershy
    Participant

Thank you, HDM!
    All was very helpful – I really appreciate your feedback on the dog foods, and also, the calculations for figuring the grams per 1000Kcal. I couldn’t get my head around it, but now I’m back, thanks to your detailed lesson. : ). I’ll keep reading. So many very interesting and helpful posts. I’m sure I’ll be back with other questions, too, particularly regarding the raw food diet. I was feeding my 4 big dogs a raw diet before Charlotte was bred. Also giving them a daily vitamin supplement tablet (which was most likely not the best form of those vitamins and minerals…and maybe I didn’t even need it) I have a lot to learn about it, but I’m thinking that what they were getting was WAY better than the processed foods available. I stopped at the time of pregnancy due to lack of confidence for what gestating pups should get, as well as the lack of time to prepare it. My dogs ate as well as we did at that time. I had fun shopping for bargains – only buying proteins I could find for less than $1/lb. I was surprised at how often those were available so I could stock up : ). But that is another topic and another forum… so finding the best kibble I can is very important to me for my guy and gals.

Thanks, again-

#21032 Report Abuse
    Hershy
    Participant

Where would I get the raw trachea?
    Thanks!

#21050 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Haretoday dot com or Mypetcarnivore dot com

#21053 Report Abuse
    Hershy
    Participant

Thank you, Pattyvaughn

#21054 Report Abuse
    dogmom

Am getting a new GSD puppy and trying to decide on food…

Breeder has pup on Iams Large Breed Puppy food, and I was planning on moving to Orijin Large Breed Puppy food, but have been advised to go to Acana Chicken and Burbank instead because lower in protein content and is good for all life stages…..

My adult GDSs are all on Acana Ranchlands, but I don’t think that would work for new pup, so am looking for best alternative.

What is your advice? Should I use the Orijin LBP food, the Acana C&B food, or someone else??

Thanks to all!

#21063 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Go back to the first page of this thread and read. It explains the REAL issues with feeding large breed puppies. In about the 3rd post, Hound Dog Mom has a google doc that lists good foods that have appropriate calcium levels for LBPs. Pick a few of those foods and rotate between them.

#21208 Report Abuse
    dogmom

I saw the list, but later there was also an update that the Orijin Large Breed was good because the calcium level had been lowered – am just checking to make sure that’s true….and wanted an update on the Acana Chicken and Burbank as well if possible

#21215 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It’s true about the Orijen LBP. I don’t know about the Acana.

HDM is in the process of updating her list, but hasn’t finished yet. And she is also making a grain inclusive list.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by theBCnut.
    #21217 Report Abuse
    EHubbman
    Participant

Your best bet would be to read over this thread first and see the suggested Cal/phos levels for large breed pups, then contact the companies to find out the MAX calcium and phosphorus levels and go from there. Like Patty and HDM said, it’s great to find a few foods that work and rotate between them. I personally haven’t seen the numbers for either food, so I’m not much help there. :/

#21235 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Dogmom –

As Patty stated I’m currently in the process of updating the grain-free list and creating a grain-inclusive list. I have already sent inquiries to all companies that have 4 and 5 star puppy foods and am in the process of waiting for the responses to come in. I can tell you, however, none of the Acana formulas are appropriate for large breed puppies. The new Orijen Large Breed Puppy formula is lower in calcium than the previous formula but will not be included on the list – it’s still a tad high. But, to give my honest opinion, if you add 20% or less of an all meat topper or all meat canned food (like Tripett) I think it would be fine.

#21243 Report Abuse
    dogmom

Hi HDM – do you mean adding the Tripett to the Orijin LBP food? Or would it be better to use half of the Orijin and half of another kibble with less calcium? I was reading the Orijin packaging, and was thinking that while I really like the food for my pup, that I would want to mix it with something….maybe the Acana Chicken & Burbank. I have a friend with GSD pups, and she feeds hers the Acana C&B and thinks it’s great for them. I worry about it because it’s not a puppy food, but it is an all-life-stage food….

Your thoughts on that?

Thanks so much!

#21244 Report Abuse
    alanysrayne
    Participant

Feeding a large breed puppy canned food, is there anything that I need to watch out for? I was planning on maybe mixing the wet and dry food together. But I didnt know if there were only certain wet foods that large breeds can have or if its only the dry.

#21245 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

None of the Acana formulas are appropriate for LBP. Adding Acana to Orijen would make the calcium even higher.

All Life Stages foods are puppy foods. The AAFCO recognizes 2 nutrient profiles, growth and maintanance. If a food meets the requirements for growth, the manufacturer can choose to have it labeled AllLife Stages.

Meat has phosphorus and not much calcium, so when a kibble has a little too much calcium in it, you can add a little meat without messing up the balance too much.

#21248 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I would add Tripett (or just plain meat) to the Orijen or Chicken & Burbank Potato. Both are too high in calcium so if you mix them together it won’t solve anything. You could, however, mix in another brand of a lower calcium food 50:50 with one of those formulas and you’d likely be at (or at least close to) an appropriate level. It would probably be easier to just go with a food that is appropriate though – you’ll have plenty of time to feed Orijen and Acana in the future.

#21249 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

HI alanysrayne –

The calcium guidelines apply to wet food as well if it’s going to be comprising a significant portion (>20%) of your pup’s diet. If you just plan on using a small amount as a topper don’t worry about it too much. As long as you’re keeping it to 20% or less of the meal I’d highly recommend Tripett – it’s a great topper for large breed puppies as it has a balanced calcium to phosphorus ratio but low levels of each and dogs love it! It’s not a complete and balanced food though which is why I’d only recommend it as a topper.

#21251 Report Abuse
    alanysrayne
    Participant

Thanks HDM ! I will keep that into consideration. Thanks so much for all your help!

#21282 Report Abuse
    Hershy
    Participant

Hello, again, HDM,
    Still searching for the best food to meet quality for a price I can afford. Have ruled out the Kirkland-wasn’t happy with many reviews I read. Wellness Core Puppy is on your list of favorite foods in the “grain free” list.
    Do you know yet if Wellness Large Breed Puppy will be on your Grain inclusive list? Calcium (min) is nice and low. I’m leaning toward this one for now. Also wondered what the asterisk comment means relating to food quality. “Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO…” – do they mean these ingredients are of no benefit for the puppy, and a waste to add, or maybe amount of it not enough of to do the job? I realize they are not the bare bones nutrients a dog needs, but why do they put this on the bag? Seems the comment would be more useful on the bag that does NOT have these ingredients? ; ). I think I’m giving this way too much thought..

Ingredients:
    Deboned Chicken, Deboned Whitefish, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Peas, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Salmon Meal (a natural source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Tomato Pomace, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Tomatoes, Natural Chicken Flavor, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil (a natural source of DHA – Docosahexaenoic Acid), Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Salt, Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement], Choline Chloride, Taurine, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Dried Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation products
    Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min.) 26.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 12.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 4.5%, Moisture (max.) 11.0%, Calcium (min.) 1.0%, Phosphorus (min.) .90%, Vitamin E (min.) 150IU, Omega 6* (min.) 2.5%, Omega 3* (min.) .50%, DHA .137#37;, Beta-Carotene* (min.) 5 mg/kg, Lycopene* (min.) .25 mg/kg, Taurine* (min.) .09%, Total Micro-Organisms* (min.) 20,000,000 CFU/lb. *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Hershy.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Hershy.
    #21286 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m not HDM but I can answer the “Not recognized” question. AAFCO sets minimum standards for what must be in dog food to sustain life. That doesn’t mean that those things that are not in the AAFCO nutrient profiles are not good to have. Some companies go way beyond the minimums set by AAFCO. Frankly, there in’t a single food I would let my dogs touch that doesn’t go way beyond the minimal standards set by AAFCO. So this company is informing you that they has ingredients that they believe are important, but AAFCO doesn’t even set a minimum for them.

#21292 Report Abuse
    Hershy
    Participant

Thank you, Pattyvaughn. That makes perfect sense.

So I guess that just leaves the “recognized” question for HDM. : )
    “Do you know yet if Wellness Large Breed Puppy will be on your Grain inclusive list? ”
    (Although the protein is maybe too low for growing pups).
    Somewhere in these posts I thought I saw a guide for ideal nutrition analysis for amounts recommended – above AAFCO) for large breed pups, but I can’t find it? Was there something like that?

Thanks!

#21303 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Hershy –

I just heard back from Wellness today actually and, unfortunately, both their Super5Mix Just for Puppy and their Super5Mix Large Breed Puppy Health are too high in calcium.

#21320 Report Abuse
    Hershy
    Participant

That’s too bad. Super5Mix Just for Puppy and their Super5Mix Large Breed Puppy Health are not the Wellness Core, right? I think you mentioned it was good. Or I may try the Fromm that you mentioned. I look forward to your other list.

Thanks so much!

#21322 Report Abuse
    Jessica1
    Participant

I just adopted a puppy from a rescue, his mom and her puppies were dumped. The mom is a smaller German Shepherd and the vet thinks he has Burmese Mountain Dog. He is the cutest and sweetest “little” guy. I can guess this is going to be a big boy. Ever since I considered adopting him I started doing research on dog foods, they have changed a lot since my last dog.
    I feel like I’m studying for an exam and failing. I am so confused at this point. I looked into brands like ; Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Blue Wilderness, Canine Caviar, Innova, Natures Variety, etc etc … After speaking to many people they stated that the higher end brands were to rich for their dogs and or created loose bowls. I’ve looked at the med end, but not all that happy with some of the ingredients. I loved the information on the, “Large Breed Puppy Food List” with the calcium percentages, and the food with rabbit as the main ingredient sounded to be like one of the best meats to use. But I just don’t know which might work out best for him. I was able to bring him home today and they have him on Pedigree so I want to wean him off this as soon as possible. Also, I would like to find a good food that won’t break me. I don’t mind paying a little more for better quality but some of the pricing is way out there.
    I really want something that is good for him but it has to be something he enjoys. Oh and I’m looking for a dry food.
    If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for me I would greatly appreciate it.

#21324 Report Abuse
    londoncalling1996
    Participant

I am hoping to do the best for our new, 11 week old Bernese Mountain Dog pup, Lux. We had a Berner, Bailey, who died way too young (3-1/2) and it took us a long time to get over the loss and risk another one (and their relatively short life expectancy) joining our family. We are hoping Lux will live a good long life, well past her predicted expectancy. So, here I am! I have been looking thru this wonderfully informative website, thank you, which is helping me, but also making my brain spin a bit! I have a couple questions, the first (I can’t seem to find anywhere here) is about the 4 and 5 star foods. What is the difference? Digestive aid, is this only if my dog develops a problem, like throwing up, or would it be beneficial for life? Also, toppers, like the green tripe, is that something I should give our pup? The breeder was feeding her Ekanuba Large Breed Puppy so I bought a big bag of it. Doesn’t sound like it’s a good choice from what I’v read here. I heard at a pet store, they used to be a better dog food before being bought out by a big agro corp. (If that’s true). I’ve printed your list of recommended Large and Giant Breed Puppy foods and I will take that with me to buy Lux some new food tomorrow. Anyhow, Hound Dog Mom, thanks for all your hard work and puppy love! Cheers, Jules

#21328 Report Abuse
    londoncalling1996
    Participant

Oops, just figured out the STAR ratings, your own reviews of the food. Okay, got that! Thanks!

#21343 Report Abuse
    sharfie

I was wondering, at what age does the level of calcium in food not become an issue. I have a 5.5 month old Golden Retriever and currently have him on a rotation of low calcium food.

#21344 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I would say calcium levels are critical until around 8 months of age – at this time puppies are through their most rapid phase of growth and are beginning to regulate calcium absorption.

#21347 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi HDM – Thanks for info on Wellness. I’m curious what the Wellness people told you the calcium level for the Super 5 Large Breed Puppy was? My bag and their website list min as 1.0 and max as 1.4. Thanks!

#21349 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

1.25%. The Wellness LBP has a very low calorie-density so the calcium per 1,000 kcal. comes out to 3.55 (if it were more calorie-dense the number would be less than 3.5). It’s still pretty low and would probably be acceptable but the my cutoff it 3.50.

#21361 Report Abuse
    sharfie

Thank you.

#21375 Report Abuse
    julez4you
    Participant

Hound Dog Mom-
    Thank you for all the research and info you’ve shared regarding a list of quality foods for Giant Breeds. I have a 9 week old Great Dane pup that the breeder had on Purina One that I just switched over to Petcurean Go! But after learning the max levels of calcium/ phosphorous- I’m not sure that’s the food I want to stick with.

I considered Canine Caviar as I’m a fan of their ingredients and like that the food is extruded vs. baked, but in reviewing the nutritional levels on their website (also noted in the list you prepared)- the 1% calcium level is listed as a min (not a max.) When I tried calling customer service to obtain the max levels, I was told they do not publish a max since the levels vary which made me very nervous.

I know you had indicated that you called and/or emailed all the companies on your list for max levels where they were not indicated. Did you receive 1% as the max from Canine Caviar?

Thanks!

#21378 Report Abuse
    wallyworld

I was looking into some grain inclusive large breed puppy foods and below is what Nutro emailed me, just in case anyone is interested. I did request actual or average %. They just sent what is already posted on their website, not very helpful…

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We value the opinions of our consumers and take their feedback very seriously.

NUTRO® NATURAL CHOICE® LARGE BREED PUPPY LAMB MEAL & RICE contains a minimum Calcium content of 1.0%, and a maximum of 1.5%. This formulation contains a minimum of 0.9% Phosphorus, and a maximum of 1.3%.

NUTRO® NATURAL CHOICE® LARGE BREED PUPPY CHICKEN, WHOLE BROWN RICE & OATMEAL contains a minimum Calcium content of 1.0%, and a maximum of 1.5%. This formulation contains a minimum of 0.9% Phosphorus, and a maximum of 1.3%.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 2,506 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.