Large and Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Large and Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition

Viewing 50 posts - 1,901 through 1,950 (of 2,506 total)
  • Author
    jacob h

Are foods such as Fromm so much better than royal canine that it would be worth the hour drive once a month or so? I would not be opposed to doing so if it meant my dog being better taken care of. So how would you rate the foods at petsmart in comparison to these other, higher rated brands.

#87299 Report Abuse
    Mike P

jacob. I can’t take credit for the research or the knowledge. But others on here have and I only forward it on. See Hound dog mom’s post earlier on.

She created a nice list for our large breed puppies. I don’t think the list has been updated recently though, but I assume these haven’t been downgraded.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFTXhUdi1KazFzSUk/edit?pli=1

Also, instead of driving a couple hours round trip, can you buy online. I did from Chewy.com and amazon and it was great. Chewy offers free shipping for over $49.

try these links (i don’t know if they work right)
    http://www.chewy.com/fromm-gold-holistic-large-breed/dp/32624

http://www.chewy.com/earthborn-holistic-coastal-catch/dp/36408

http://www.amazon.com/Wellness-Chicken-Natural-Food-26-Pound/dp/B007M0J7Z0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463623160&sr=8-1&keywords=wellness+core+puppy+formula

#87300 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Jacob-

Basically here’s the thing. Companies like Hill’s and Purina have put in years of research into the topic of proper growth and nutrition for large breeds. Royal Canin to an extent but not as much as the other two. In reality these foods are better to use because of how much research is backing them.

Also in reference to All Life Stages foods; no they are not all appropriate for large breed puppies. A lot of companies will not provide a nutrient analysis on their website so you will have to do some leg work and contact them and ask for their MAX levels of calcium and phosphorus in their All Life Stages or growth diets.

Dr. Tim’s Kinesis and NutriSource Large Breed Puppy are 2 excellent foods that you can purchase through chewy.com. Dr. Tim’s has been feed trialed as well which is important.

Fromm would out rank Royal Canin for a lot of people simply because they like the way the ingredients look. Both will let the dog grow properly. RC is just a bigger company that does feed trials and conducts their own research so from the view point of a veterinary nutritionist, RC beats Fromm.

Blue Buffalo is a tad shady of a company and I personally do not feel comfortable recommending them and I wouldn’t use their products again (I did when my pitbull was little).

#87301 Report Abuse
    Kim M

Jacob,

If your head is not already spinning 🙂 haha..

I went with star rating and phos/calcium information from this thread, especially because of the large breed factor. It might be worth reading through this thread from page 1. Posts 12416 and 16665 start to touch on these. Hound Dog Mom has a great excel spreadsheet with some info in it. If I can locate the most current version, I will edit and add the link. That spreadsheet helped me narrow down to 4-5 options and then I did some minimal additional research from there such as price and reviews.

I would suggest you look at ordering online (fetch.com, chewy.com, amazon.com etc) as you get a discount for reoccurring orders and delivery is free with at a minimum order amount for many sites. Price/availability could certainly be a factor you will need to consider.

I was initially going to feed TOTW or Blue but agree with the comment above on past practices by the parent company.

EDIT: The spreadsheet is in link above by another poster. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFTXhUdi1KazFzSUk/edit?pli=1
    I wanted to go with the meadow feast off the bat, due to lower calcium (1.2 versus the 1.3 in Coastal Catch) but the meadow feast chunks were a bit larger. As the formulas are consistent, our next bag will be the meadow feast flavor as she will be closer to 4-5 months by then.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Kim M.
    #87309 Report Abuse
    Salz

Hey pals! Thought I’d share with you all some insight I’ve gathered about Stella and Chewys in regards to large breed puppy nutrition.

I contacted the company directly and received a nice chart of the calcium and phosphorous percentages for each of their formulas AS FED. After calculating, I concluded that every formula except the Turkey had calcium to phosphorous ratios between 1.2 to 1 and 1.5 to 1, which to my knowledge is safe for large breed puppies (the Turkey is 1.9 to 1). I have a 4 month old Doberman mix who has struggled with GI problems since he was a baby due to premature weaning from his mother. I started him on this food yesterday and he’s had solid stools for the first time in weeks. I will keep you all updated on his progress but I thought you’d all be interested in this information.

#87310 Report Abuse
    jacob h

I have heard that one should alternate between two foods to try to decrease chance of developing allergies. Would switching from a grain free to a grain included be a bad idea. Or should I stick the two foods to the same formula.

Also, if you had to pick three grain free puppy foods. What would you choose.

#87311 Report Abuse
    jacob h

I’m thinking fromm and earthborn holistic. Last question lol. Grain free, marketing gimmick or worth the money.

#87321 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Sally-

Yes the calcium to phosphorus ratio for Stella & Chewy’s seem to be fine, however you also have to be concerned with the calcium to calorie ratio. If that is too high, the food is not LBP safe dispite having an appropriate calcium to phos ratio.

To Jacob-

Rotating diets is not a bad thing. If you feel better switching from grain inclusive to grain free that is fine as well. I wouldn’t go overboard personally. I would pick 2-3 brands that have LBP safe foods and you could rotate those and then build more variety once you see the eating habits of the dog.

If I had to pick 3 grain free LBP foods Nulo Puppy would be my first choice since Nulo is one of the few companies that staff a full time veterinary nutritionist, second choice would be Fromm Prairie Gold Large Breed Puppy and lastly would be Orijen Large Breed Puppy.

I used to be very swayed by the grain free trend. I firmly believed that if you fed your dogs grain you were a terrible pet parent. Then I got a grip on reality. My dogs (even the one with allergies) do much better on a grain inclusive food. I also have a Chocolate Lab, who was found as a stray. No allergy issues at all. I think there is a place for grain free diets and they are beneficial to those dogs that need them, but I find that the vast majority of pet owners who want to feed grain free don’t even really know why they want to. They have just “heard” it was better and didn’t stop to question that authority.

#87324 Report Abuse
    goldenstar

Pitlove…I am really glad that you have brought this higher calorie problem to light. I have not read anything about this before. Is there information that I can read about this to get a better handle on it.
    I have been using The Honest Kitchen with extra meat and chicken necks. But since you have talked about the higher calorie problem…I am mixing it with Origin Puppy Large. I was really trying to stay away from kibble, but while she is a growing pup, I want to be sure she gets all of her nutrients. Thanks.

#87325 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi goldenstar-

You are very welcome. The ratio of calcium to calories is often overlooked, but very important when it comes to LBP growth. Overnutrition (overfeeding) is a huge risk factor for DOD’s in large breeds. Watching calcium intake is so over emphasized now that the calories and creating a fat puppy are overlooked.

I would take what you hear on the internet about “the optimal diet for a dog” with a grain of salt. Here is an interesting article on raw diets that I found through Dr. Susan Wynn’s facebook. She is a holistic vet and veterinary nutritionist.

https://therawfeedingcommunity.com/2014/12/12/your-dog-is-not-a-wolf-stop-trying-to-feed-it-like-one/

The author is a prey model raw feeder fyi.

#87331 Report Abuse
    goldenstar

Thanks for that article pitlove. The reason I wanted to stay away from kibble is because of the carcinogens introduced from the high temperature extrusion process in the making of dried kibble. I recently lost my 9 year old Golden Retriever to Cancer so I wanted to minimize the chances with my new girl.
    But with the nutrient requirements for a LBP it is so hard to find anything but kibble that will give her the right balance of all essential nutrients.
    Thanks -Beth

#87334 Report Abuse
    Salz

Pitluv- Thank you for your input!

#87341 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Sally- You’re welcome!!

Goldenstar- Unfortuntely Golden Retrivers are prone to cancer. Personally Im not sure how much science there is behind that whole argument that kibble can cause cancer. I think some dogs have higher risk factors for it for many different reasons that we may be totally unaware of. Breed certainly can play a role, as does breeding.

When I started my quest to learn about canine nutrition a lot of what I started reading on here and other Internet forums scared the heck out of me. After about a year of feeling like at every turn I was gonna shorten my dogs life span because of this and that, I stopped and took a deep breath and relaxed. I think some people over analysis the world down to the finest detail to the point where they can’t even live a fully happy life. I do not want to live that way. I feed my dogs kibble, some canned ocassionally. But really there is more to a healthy dog than the food they eat.

I follow a family on YouTube with 3 huskies who had their first husky pass away a few years ago. She was sick on and off her whole life because she was a puppy mill dog (they bought her from the pet store in an attempt to rescue her). They live in Michigan and they sled their dogs, camp with their dogs, do agility with them. I mean the way they treat their dogs is beyond amazing. That husky lived to be 11 years old and yes she ate kibble her whole life. I firmly believe the way they took care of her played a bigger role in why she lived so long.

#87355 Report Abuse
    Salz

Pitluv- you hit the nail on the head. The way we treat our animals has so much more of an impact than anything else. My childhood dog, Hoagie, ate grocery store kibble all his life. But we took him running, camping, swimming, everywhere with us. He lived to the ripe old age of 14 and still chased the frisbee with his blind eyes and wobbly hips on his last days.

For me, dog nutrition has become something I am vastly interested in. And thank you so much for mentioning the calorie aspect of dog food because upon further research I’ve concluded that the calcium to calorie ratio in S&C is WAY too high for large breed puppies. Darwin’s, on the other hand, is within healthy range in all aspects (cheaper for mom, too!)

#87362 Report Abuse
    goldenstar

I do know that Goldens are prone to cancer…. due to their genitics for one reason. I may never know what the cause was for mine. I am just trying to reduce the risk if I can for my new girl in all areas of her life…. not just by reducing dried kibble in her diet.
    Nutrition is a very big part in reducing the risk of cancer and most illnesses…..excersise, reducing stress, environmental toxins, genitics are some more things to consider for sure.
    I too have fed kibble to my dogs throughout my life and some have lived long lives.
    There does seem to be little research out there about kibble and carcinogens, but more information is being presented.
    Here is one article by Dr Becker and how one researcher tested dogs to find carcinogens in their fur.
    http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/05/27/cooked-meat-carcinogens.aspx
    Now that I am aware of it, it is a little harder not to be concerned about it.
    It looks like 4 and 5 star dried kibble may be best formulated to meet the the strict requirements for large breed puppies. Preparing a home cooked or raw diet is another option. But for me, it is a daunting task and I would still worry if my LBP was getting the right nutrition.
    I really appreciate the important information that I have learned here.

#87363 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Sally- Awesome! I’m glad you found another option. You are very welcome for mentioning the calcium to calorie ratio!

goldenstar- I understand where you are coming from and I wasn’t suggesting that you take care of your animal in a way that makes you uncomfortable. At the end of the day, how anyone chooses to feed or raise their dog has no impact on my life. I have a passion for nutrition and large breed puppy growth so I enjoy discussing it with others and passing on information I’ve learned from nutritionists. I agree that food plays a big role in health, but I do feel there is more to health than that as I said. Have you considered having a homecooked diet formulated by a veterinary nutritionist for a large breed puppy? You may also wanna check out BalanceIt.com to see if they have a premade free recipe that is safe for LBP’s.

#87365 Report Abuse
    goldenstar

Thanks pitluv. I really appreciate all of the information that you share.
    I will have to take a look at balance it again. My vet suggested it before with my other Golden.
    I did check it out but it did not seem to have formulas for large breed puppies. I will check it again to be sure.
    I also just got Dr Becker’s cookbook. It would be a healthy option. It seems like a daunting task though.
    For the last few months of my other Goldens life I prepared Dr Dressler’s cancer diet so I can prepare foods, but just not sure yet.

#87394 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Hey all –
    Here’s another option for the Danes and other large dogs: VeRUS pet foods makes a lamb formula, Adult Maintenance. The protein is a little lower on this formula so it’d probably work really well for your Great Dane. The kibble is more round than flat like their other formulas so it’s a little bigger. They also have a really awesome probiotic in their food that survives the cooking temperatures. No window dressing with them! Maybe send them an email and ask for a sample to see if the size of the kibble works well for your pup. You can fill out a contact form on their website & they’ll email you back with questions before sending out samples.

#87395 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Susan-

It has not been recommended for over 20 years (it’s been this long since we learned what truly causes DOD’s) to feed a large breed puppy an adult maintenance formula. There are plenty of correctly formulated large breed puppy foods out there now to risk it with an adult maintenance formula. Protein is also a non-factor for proper growth.

Larger kibble and probiotics don’t even begin to address the dietary needs of a LBP.

#87401 Report Abuse
    Susan W

PitLuv – you are right, of course! I think I lost my brain somewhere yesterday. VeRus has a large breed puppy formula (which is where I think I was going…). That’s the beauty of their contact form: you fill it out, they write back with questions in order to recommend the best option, then they send samples. Their website has great info and their people actually put effort into customer contact.

#87402 Report Abuse
    Wabi S

Hello,

First post, but I’ve been reading here a few days.

I have a 12 week old purebred Saint Bernard puppy. She’s currently on Eagle Pack but I’d like to switch her to something else, I’m thinking either Orijen if I can afford it on a regular basis (I heard their prices went up and their bag size is going down) or Fromm Gold Holistic Large Breed Puppy. $50 or under is ideal, but I can probably budget a little more if the food is worth it. Any suggestions? Also, how long should I be feeding puppy food?

An as aside, if it helps anyone, I contacted Taste of the Wild and they got back to me today. Here’s what they said about their food:

“Below are the calcium and phosphorous levels for all of our dry formulas. The levels below are based on an as fed basis of a typical analysis of the formula.

High Prairie Canine with Roasted Venison & Roasted Bison

Calcium: 2.1%

Phosphorus: 1.4%

Pacific Stream Canine with Smoked Salmon

Calcium: 1.9%

Phosphorus: 1.1%

Wetlands Canine with Roasted Wild Fowl

Calcium: 2.1%

Phosphorus: 1.4%

Sierra Mountain Canine with Roasted Lamb

Calcium: 1.6%

Phosphorus: 1.0%

Southwest Canine with Wild Boar

Calcium: 1.9%

Phosphorus: 1.1%

Pine Forest Canine with Venison & Legumes

Calcium: 1.4%

Phosphorus: 0.9%

Appalachian Valley Small Breed Canine with Venison & Garbanzo Beans

Calcium: 1.8%

Phosphorus: 1.2%

High Prairie Puppy with Roasted Venison & Roasted Bison

Calcium: 1.4%

Phosphorus: 1.0%

Pacific Stream Puppy with Smoked Salmon

Calcium: 1.3%

Phosphorus: 1.0%”

Hope this helps someone.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Wabi S.
    #87404 Report Abuse
    anonymously

What about sodium? Orijen has less sodium than other commercial brands, Orijen has larger kibble and tends to be higher in calories so you use less of it, just add a topper.

I don’t know much about this large breed calcium thing. We had a large mixed breed years ago that lived to be 18 on one can of Calo a day. I can count on one hand the times he went to the vet…..however, I know that things are different now.

PS: I would find a veterinarian that you like and trust and see what he recommends. I have learned that this is important.
    There is a lot of misinformation on the internet.

#87405 Report Abuse
    Wabi S

My experience has shown that the Internet tends to be better informed than most vets. Finding a reliable vet is difficult at best.

I’m concerned that the Fromm food has less than 3g/1000 kcal calcium.

#87410 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Wabi-

Only 2 of Taste of the Wilds formulas are safe for a growing large breed puppy. Those would be both of their formulas that say “puppy” on the bag, however they are all lifestages foods.

The recommended calcium to calorie ratio for a large breed puppy food is 3g/1000 kcal or lower and should not exceed the safe upper limit of 4.5g.

#87412 Report Abuse
    Wabi S

Oh! It’s 3g/1000 kcal *or lower*?

I must have misread that part. Thanks!

#87413 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

I’m sorry, I actually believe I made an error in saying “lower”. I don’t know if lower is actually bad, but I believe most will be a bit over 3g/1000 kcal. Which Fromm formula were you talking about and can you give me the info you have on it?

#87415 Report Abuse
    Salz

Hey sorry to butt in here but I’m interested in this as well… The large breed puppy info on DFA doesn’t specify if the Ca/kcal can be lower than 3. I’ve always assumed that it should be between 3-4.5 but I wonder if slightly lower is ok…I know that some large breed puppy kibbles are definitely lower than 3g; I believe Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy is one of them.

#87416 Report Abuse
    Wabi S
    #87419 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Sally and Wabi-

I’ve just posted this question to Dr.Rebecca Remillards website. She is a board certified veterinary nutritionist. I will post the answer when she gets back to me. I asked if the LBP diet could fall below 3g/1000 kcals and still be safe.

#87443 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hey all here is the response I got:

You submitted the following question to the PetDiets website.

Your Question:
    In regards to large breed puppy foods. Is it safe for the calcium to calorie ratio to fall below 3g/1000 kcals?

Response from our Nutritionist:
    The NRC 2006 min is 2.0 g Ca/Mcal for growth and we know no different for large puppies.

Respectfully,
    R Remillard, PhD, DVM, DACVN

#87448 Report Abuse
    Salz

Thank you so much pitluv! That is wonderful information.

#87450 Report Abuse
    Triet S

Hello !
    I have two Akita Inu Puppies. They are about 7months and 10months. I am feeding them by TOTW puppy line, but I want to change something better for them. Any recommended ? Please !
    One more thing, my 7months girl has a curve back, I think it is my fault. I got her on 18 March. She has no problem at this time. But I am overfeeding for fer and canxi supplement everyday. Please give me some advice how can I do for her now ?
    Thank you very much !

#87454 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Triet-

Has the 7 month old gone to the vet? If so, what did he/she say about the curved back? If she hasn’t gone I would bring her.

It is very important to feed 2 meals a day and measure out each meal. Overfeeding can cause issues with bone growth and joints.

Also you do not need to use a supplement when feeding a food that is properly balanced for a large breed puppy. Stop the supplement ASAP. It is probably doing more harm than good.

#87459 Report Abuse
    Triet S

Hi Pituv,
    I am very appreciate your help. I have taken her to the vet aldready. She said I fed her too much. She want me to feed her 3 times a day, all is dry dog food, follow the direction on the label of the TOTW and nothing else. But, I am very confuse because my puppy dont like to eat a lot of dry food. So, I have to change to feed raw food in morning and afternoon (mixing meat,liver,organic,vegetable,….about 150gram each time). Evening is 1cup of TOTW. After a month, she still has a curve back.
    Could you tell me what should I do now ? Is my raw food diet good ?
    Thanks !

#87460 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Personally, I would wait on the raw diet til she is older if she already has a curved back. I personally do not know if the curvature is something that can be fixed or not at this point. I think you need to find a large breed puppy food that she enjoys eating and stick closely to the feeding guidelines until she is 18 months old. If you want to supplement with something to encourage her to eat the only thing I would recommend is Trippett.

https://www.chewy.com/petkind-tripett-original-formula/dp/44461

#87463 Report Abuse
    Triet S

Hello,
    Could I mix this supplement with dry food ?

#87464 Report Abuse
    Triet S

I want to try Orijen LBPs. How do you think ? or any recommended ?

#87465 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Yes you can mix Trippett with dry.

I find Orijen to be too expensive. I think there are better foods out there that are much cheaper. I think my two personal favorites at this time are Dr. Tim’s Kinesis and NutriSource Large Breed Puppy.

#87466 Report Abuse
    Triet S

Thank you,
    Could you tell me what is raw dehydrated and what is Raw frozen ?

#87476 Report Abuse
    Wabi S

Triet, I was considering Orijen too, but ended up going with Fromm since it’s nearly half the cost and still very good quality. My pup loves it. She’s a 3 month old Saint Bernard.

#87557 Report Abuse
    gmcbogger38

*If this was already answered in this thread please let me know.

I have a question regarding grains. I have read articles written by some veterinarians who say if you feed kibble only feed grain free. I have also read articles written by other veterinarians who say you should never feed a large or giant breed puppy strictly grain free because it affects growth. All 3 of my dogs are older and my Saint Bernard didn’t come into my life until she was about 2 years old, so I didn’t deal with this issue much. They eat mostly grain free, but do well on some grain inclusive formulas (I like to rotate).

I may be getting an 8 week old Saint Bernard puppy in a few weeks (currently being weaned onto Earthborn Coastal Catch). He is also smaller than the other puppies and I want to make sure he receives optimal nutrition.

Has anybody with giant breed puppies noticed any pros or cons feeding either exclusively grain free or grain inclusive foods for growing giant puppies?

#87561 Report Abuse
    Salz

Triet- the biggest difference (IMO) between raw frozen and dehydrated raw is that all of the moisture has been removed from the dehydrated. There is some heat used in the dehydration process so some consider it to be of less nutritional value. Dehydrated raw is easier to store ; all that is required for feeding is to add water and allow the moisture to seep back in. Frozen raw is just that; frozen raw meat that is usually thawed before being fed. I prefer frozen because it is less processed. Both are excellent choices.

As far as kibble, Orijen is great IMO for adult dogs only. All of the adults I’ve had have thrived on it, though I agree that there are other quality kibbles for a fraction of the price. If you are keen on feeding kibble, I recommend Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy.

#87562 Report Abuse
    Salz

Gmcbogger38- When it comes to grains, it honestly depends on the dog. Earthborn is a great brand. What matters way more than grains with giant breeds is the Calcium levels and calorie ratios. If you’d like more information on those, let me know and I’ll be happy to help.

#87566 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi gmcbogger38-

Grain free and grain inclusive are a non-factor in proper growth for a large or giant breed. Whichever route you choose the only things that matter and effect growth is the calcium and making sure you keep the dog at an optimal weight. Of course genetics will always factor in, but nutritionists are finding that a proper diet greatly improves the chances of avoiding DOD’s.

#87567 Report Abuse
    Triet S

Hi Wabi,
    Thank you for your recommended 🙂

Hi Sally,
    Thank for your help. very clearly explaining. I can understand now.

#87574 Report Abuse
    CircaRigel

It’s been a while, and I thought I’d provide an update on Galen, now 19 months old, technically an adolescent for a giant breed (Shiloh Shepherd), but no longer a puppy. However, I did go through a number of adjustments to his diet as he grew up, and thought I’d discuss them. I’ll first discuss kibbles, since that is generally the area where improper calcium and phosphorus content causes problems. Brands discussed include Eukanuba, Holistic Select (and other WellPet brands), Canidae, Taste of the Wild, Fromms, Tripett, and my absolute favorite and the most impressive, nutritionally… Darwin’s Natural Selections. I will also briefly touch on treats. Every choice I’ve made for Galen has come about via extensive research, wanting only the very best for Galen’s growth and health, for he is training as my service dog. My first responsibility is to him, even before looking after myself, for it is his responsibility to always be looking after me. Besides… I consider him family on equal par to my most beloved family members. I have linked the Dog Food Advisor pages for Galen’s finalized diet at the bottom of this post.

Galen’s breeder weaned her litter on Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy diet. After his adoption, I transitioned him to Fromm’s, which is what his breeder now weans her puppies on, but his stools were often quite soft. There was a brief period when I tried Holistic Select Large breed puppy, but rapidly transitioned away from it when Galen became ill. As it happens, ALL kibble foods made by WellPet (Wellness, Holistic Select, Old Mother Hubbard, Eagle Pack) contain green tea extract. While the very small amounts are probably not harmful to most dogs, particularly since it’s being taken with food, I found a number of studies that were halted because of dogs dying after being given green tea extract on an empty stomach. There is no way I can know for certain, but I suspect Galen is somehow particularly susceptible to toxic effects from it, even in small doses. So I began researching foods, and I liked the nutrition profile for some of the Canidae varieties, and while they were not specifically puppy or large breed diets, I contacted Canidae to make sure I chose a variety with the proper calcium and phosphorus ratios for proper bone growth (Canidae has recently been shifting their manufacturing away from Diamond pet foods, with a new processing plant in California). He did well on this, but didn’t like it much. Since he’s rather thin (but not so much as to be unhealthy, according to his vets at Alameda East, the same hospital where Animal Planet’s “Emergency Vets” was filmed, as it’s closest to where I live), I decided to change things up again when he was about a year old. Since he now was at an age where his calcium metabolism was properly established (generally puppies older than 8 months old can properly metabolize calcium, without the need to limit it so much), it broadened the choices of available foods for him. So, I made a list of grain free foods on Dog Food Advisor with 4+ ratings, focusing especially on 5 star rated foods, and ordered a bunch of sample packs for him to try from K9Cuisine. Of all of the foods he tried, he preferred the 5 star rated varieties of Taste of the Wild best. While I’m not fond of the record of Diamond pet foods, I trust the ratings of Dog Food Advisor (except the high ratings of kibbles by WellPet brands, for the previously mentioned Green Tea toxicity risk). Anyway, to keep things interesting for his palate, I now transition between the three 5 star rated varieties of TOTW for dry food.

Canned foods: From very early on, I had Galen eating Tripett green beef tripe as his wet food. I chose this because green tripe contains the nutrients of what the cow ate as well as the nutritional value and digestive enzymes that are naturally inherent to tripe. I have tried other varieties of canned foods, but Galen usually turns his nose up at them after a few days, when the novelty wears off. There has been a single exception, though, which I also supplement his diet with. That is Darwin’s Natural Selections raw foods. Back when I was letting Galen choose from among the samples I got for him, I also got the $15 introductory sample of the Darwin’s food (10 lbs variety pack), which included free shipping on dry ice. Their foods are raw, made from free-range, organic animal sources and organic vegetables. They come in easy to open plastic packets. Dog Food Advisor not only rates it 5 stars, but enthusiastically recommends the foods. They have never had a recall. I was quite surprised to find that the food was packaged and frozen just a few days before it shipped to me. Now, Once you have had the trial and go to their subscription plan, the cost is far higher, plus shipping on dry ice. It’s too high for me to feed to Galen exclusively or even as half his diet, so I subscribe to it as a supplement to his regular diet, feeding him 2 lbs a week. I get him all varieties, which include chicken, turkey, duck, beef, and bison. Of all of the foods I’ve ever fed a dog, This has been by far of the highest quality I’ve encountered.

Galen is incredibly picky even with treats, generally preferring single-ingredient, meat based treats. These have included Simply Lamb (freeze dried lamb), PureBites freeze dried chicken breast, PureBites freeze dried duck liver, and Primal freeze dried Nuggets (lamb), although the nuggets I use more as an occasional supplement rather than a treat. Galen turns his nose up at most other treats, even jerky treats. That’s fine by me. I rather like seeing only one ingredient listed, which leaves me zero doubts of there being anything in it that is unnecessary to his health (i.e. preservatives).

On a final note, around holidays I like to make a turkey stock from the leftovers and carcass (bones removed, of course, after cooking so that nutrients specific to the bones leach into the stock, like the marrow). That turkey stock is for Galen, as a special treat supplementing his food.

So… Galen’s final adult diet:
    Taste of the Wild (wetlands, High Prairie, and Canyon varieties)
    Tripett Green Beef Tripe
    Darwin’s Natural Selections raw (beef, bison, chicken, turkey, and duck)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by CircaRigel.
    #87578 Report Abuse
    CircaRigel

Triet S,
    Raw dehydrated is usually actually freeze-dried, which maintains all of the nutrients of raw, but in a convenient, dry form that keeps a lot better. Raw frozen is exactly that. It contains all of the natural moisture of the original composition, and is kept frozen to keep it from spoiling. One of the disadvantages here is that it’s generally recommended to thaw it before feeding, and you don’t want to do that in the microwave, as that will cook it a little and alter some of the proteins. I usually thaw a couple of days worth of Galen’s Darwin’s Natural Selections in the refrigerator at least 24 hours prior to feeding. His freeze dried treats require no refrigeration or freezing to maintain their quality, so the’re easier to carry as treats. As for freeze dried that is meant as a staple food, like Primal freeze dried nuggets, it is recommended to add water to rehydrate it for a specified time prior to feeding.

#87579 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi CircaRigel-
    Thanks for the update. Galen is a lucky pup! I’m glad to hear Darwins is back to being a reliable company. Best wishes to you and Galen. 🐶🐸

#87623 Report Abuse
    Jennifer H

I may be a little late coming to the party, but I saw the question regarding nutrition for a Saint Bernard puppy and had to respond. I have been involved with Saint Bernards for over 40 years and can’t stress enough the importance of keeping them lean and making sure they get LOTS OF OFF LEASH EXCERSIE. I fed a kibble with canned food as a topper for many years and then starting making my own cooked food to use as a topper. Two years ago I made the leap to a RAW diet and cannot begin to describe the amazing changes I have seen in my dogs. I have 2 Saints that are rapidly approaching 10 years of age and are still running and playing with my younger Saints.
    My recommendation is this:
    Keep the Calcium/Phosphorus ratio as close to 1:1 as possible
    Keep Calcium to 3g/1000 Kcals or lower
    DON’T LET THEM GET FAT
    DON’T EVER LET THEM SLIP AND SLIDE ON SLICK FLOORS

#87627 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Jennifer-

Great advice! I am a huge advocate for keeping dogs lean (4/9 BCS). Do you feed your St. Bernard puppies raw? Or do you feed a balanced kibble until they are finished growing and then switch to raw?

Viewing 50 posts - 1,901 through 1,950 (of 2,506 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.