šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bud J

Hi, I’m just getting started in researching dog food. I’ve been fostering my current pup, Grayson, for about a year. He has seizures about once a week and is on keppra, phenobarbital and hemp. I’m currently doing research and looking for support because he is dealing with substantial allergies and I’m highly suspecting it’s food allergies. He has a lot of itching, chews at his feet and has bald spots and scabbing around his hips, hind legs and groin area. He has been an itchy dog pretty much entire time I’ve had him but the scabbing is by far the worst it’s ever been.

He was put on a steroid for a couple weeks which really helped, but had it’s own side effects. The last 2 dog foods we’ve had are American Journey Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato and True Acre Foods Chicken and Vegetable Grain Free. He was mostly eating True Acre when the symptoms got bad, but then switched to American Journey and symptoms continued to progress. Both foods have chicken as a main ingredient and therefore I’m thinking he’s reacting to chicken. As of 2 days ago, I switched him to a Heritage Ranch Salmon and Sweet Potato Food only because it was the only dog food at my store which didn’t have chicken as a main ingredient.

So, I’m currently l’m looking into switching him to a different simple ingredient dog food. Canidae salmon and sweet potato is the one I’m leaning towards, but I’m also researching doing a raw diet.
    I’m sure there’s several posts on this site which have helpful info, but wanted to introduce myself and I’ll start searching around to see what others have already posted.

Thank you,
    Grandpa J

#137385 Report Abuse
    anonymous

/forums/search/environmental+allergies/

#137388 Report Abuse
    Bud J

Just posting a link without any comments isn’t too helpful.

#137391 Report Abuse
    anonymous

If you click on the link you will see hundreds of comments I have posted on the subject.
    It would take several hours to repeat the information you will find there.
    There is a search engine here for that reason.

Better yet, make an appointment with a veterinary dermatologist asap to get your dog properly diagnosed and treated. There is no veterinary healthcare professional at this site. Even if there were they have not examined your dog nor can they provide specific advice regarding your pet. Best of luck!

Example “The diet helps but it can only do so much.
    A multifaceted approach is often needed for environmental allergies. There is no cure.
    But there are effective treatments/management.
    PS: Bacterial skin infections that require antibiotics are common with atopic dermatitis. It is painful. Itchiness and burningā€¦.
    Next, ear infections.”

example: “Please visit a board certified veterinarian asap for testing/diagnosis/treatment.
    Itā€™s been a year/4 seasons without significant results by the regular vet.
    Do not give over the counter meds/supplements or apply ointments, creams that are not intended for veterinary use unless advised to do so by a veterinarian that has examined your dog”.

Example: /forums/topic/hes-got-good-and-environmental-allergies/#post-113364
    “Make an appointment with a board certified veterinary dermatologist. Itā€™s not the food. Just my opinion, based on my experience and knowledge”.

Very good information here: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=environmental+allergies

#137392 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Integrating Myths and Nonsense with Standard Advice for Allergic Pets

excerpt below, click on link for full article and comments

“Of course, Iā€™ve written about the raw diet nonsense before, and there is, once again, no evidence that raw diets have any benefit in terms of preventing or treating allergies. As for supplements, apart from limited evidence that fish oils can reduce the dosage of other drugs needed to control allergy symptoms, there is no solid data to support supplement recommendations. Overall, this section makes erroneous and misleading implications about the causes of food allergies, recommends a dubious diagnostic test, and then suggests treatments that have not been demonstrated to help”.

Hair and Saliva Test for Allergies are Worthless Pseudoscience

excerpt below, click on link for full article and comments

Hair and Saliva Test for Allergies are Worthless Pseudoscience
    Posted on November 6, 2018 by skeptvet
    There is a lot of mythology out there about food allergies. The recent concern about the potential risks of grain-free diets is only an issue at all because such diets became wildly popular with no evidence that grains were a problem in the first place. A lot of folks blame grains for allergies and other health problems, but thereā€™s no real evidence this is true, and these ingredients probably play a fairly minor role in food allergies in dogs and cats.
    Other myths about food allergies include the idea that changing diets can cause them (actually, prolonged exposure is usually needed to develop a sensitivity), that raw foods are less allergenic (nope, only more likely to give you a food-borne illness), and that you can use blood, hair, or saliva tests to diagnose food allergies (sorry, a limited ingredient diet trial is the only way to do this). This last misconception is perpetuated despite evidence from human medicine that it is not true because, quite frankly, it makes people money.

#137395 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Another option would be to work closely with your regular vet.
    Have you discussed a prescription/therapeutic diet to rule out food sensitivities.
    Have you discussed treatment options such as Apoquel.

#137425 Report Abuse
    anonymous

/forums/topic/getting-to-the-bottom-of-frenchies-itchiness/

Click on link for article that you may find helpful

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.