🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 51 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    theBCnut

So DoggieDoc22, just how much nutrition education do you have and who provided it?

#15279 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

DoggieDoc22 –

The way you are pushing Jan to research corn, wheat and soy, you seem to be implying that someone that does not feed a food containing soy, corn or wheat will be harming their dog and that foods with corn, wheat and soy are superior to products without corn wheat and soy. Please provide evidence supporting why a food containing corn wheat and soy is superior to a food without corn, wheat and soy – otherwise stop being pushy. Most people here have thoroughly researched what they feed their dogs in order to make the best choices nutritionally and don’t need to be talked to as if they’ve done no research. People also definitely don’t need to be told by some random on an internet forum that their trusted vet is providing them with false information.

#15283 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Thanks HDM for saying what I couldn’t seem to lol. I appreciate your remarks. I must admit I’ve never had someone try to “push” foods with corn to someone like me….a staunch advocate for a more natural approach to feeding.

#15284 Report Abuse
    gebo
    Participant

C’mon guys and gals. Doggiedoc22 doesn’t need to supply his/her credentials. Please read her posts. She is simply saying to do some research on our own and quit listening to everyone’s opinions. It’s better to make decisions based on facts, right?. I don’t see why we need to remain ignorant if there is scientific research out there that can help us and our dogs. I actually spent time researching “corn” and found out what I had been told and believed was not exactly true. I’m just pushing for informed dog owners. You can feed whatever you like and I’ll probably not change the world but there may actually be one person who’ll read this and go and study the research and be able to make a decision based on facts, not merely “he said-she said.” I empathize with some of you as it took me 15 or so years to actually look at the facts concerning dog foods. I’m still today studying and reading to decrease my ignorance. I’ve still got a ways to go as long as I’m feeding Bil-Jac 😉

#15285 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Believe it or not, I’m not ignorant on all the facts. I have done my own research to my satisfaction and I have concluded I don’t want to feed foods with corn, or that contain any of the things I mentioned in my post above. You can do whatever suits you and your dogs, and I’ll do what I feel is best for mine.

#15287 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

from gebo “. Doggiedoc22 doesn’t need to supply his/her credentials. ”

IF he/she is a vet, she is supposed to post her real name. It says so under the “our community guidelines” link. If he/she is not a vet, posting as DoggieDoc for a name here is misleading

#15288 Report Abuse
    gebo
    Participant

Wow,

This is one mean spirited place to post. You need to wear body armor to come here. Somebody asks a question, you give your opinion, then you get bitten by someone on the sidelines if your opinion or experience is different than theirs. You don’t have to worry about me posting again. As Rodney Dangerfield said, “Man, rough crowd!”

Mom2Cavs,
    Please accept my apologies if you thought I was calling or suggesting you (specifically you) were ignorant. That was not my intention. I was writing with an audience in mind when making those inferences.

Dogs will lick each other urine, eat one another’s turds, munch on dead carcasses, eat their own and one another’s vomit, leak each other’s privates and drink water out of an old mud puddle but bless my soul, no grain will ever touch their lips. Yeah, it seems a little extreme to me as well 😉

#15289 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yeah and kids will play in the street if you don’t stop them, that doesn’t mean I’m going to push them.

#15315 Report Abuse

Sorry-nothing productive to add except that your comment Patty, cracked me up : )

gebo- I am one of the few that will feed a corn containing product from time to time as part of my rotation. Not that I believe its GOOD for them, but I also do not believe that its the end of the world for a small portion of their diet. I believe in hedging my bets on the current schools of thought to dog feeding. Could one version be better factually(not opinion) then another? Sure-but I do not feel that any methods provide enough definitive proof for me to subscribe to just one. Therefore, I feed grain free, grain inclusive, one that contains corn(from time to time-Pro Pac) raw, dehydrated, fresh, canned, home made etc. While not every one will agree on what method is best, understand that the majority of the regular posters have researched their choosen way/method and do not follow along blindly.

#15327 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I choose to avoid corn/wheat/soy 99% of the time because of the GMO factor. The 1% I use it is when making corn bread pudding which the pugs of course love to eat and then poop the whole kernels right back out!

#15331 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m feeding grain free because I have one dog who has a severe problem with grains and when I went grain free, I found out that that was the JRTs minor problem too.

#44910 Report Abuse
    Yorkiemom

Lots of opinions, from lots of people who love their Yorkie Babies. I have a sweet little baby girl Yorkie, who is is 6. Our breeder recommended Royal Canin (Yorkie formula) right from the start. when she was about 2, I decided that I would make her own food. Grassfed free range chicken breast, vegetables, a little brown rice. well she started having issues. Then I tried a very well known natural, organic high protein. Long story short. the diet(s) were affecting her ph level and her kidney. She was showing signs of early kidney failure. Yorkies are also susceptible to pancreatitis, so they cannot have extra fat in their diets. (The well known natural food I gave her. Some of the best rated natural dog foods have too much fat for a yorkie) The vet advised that her ph was off die to too much protein in her diet. so I went back to Royal Canin Yorkshire 28, and she has been healthy and happy ever since.
    Regardless of the claims, most dog foods appear to be manufactured as one size fits all. It may be a quality food and great for some breeds, but none of them, EXCEPT Royal Canin takes into consideration the specific needs of each breed. My little girl is healthy again, and I learned a valuable lesson at her expense. If you are having success with other foods, good for you. Many many Yorkies have become champion show dogs eating Royal Canin.
    My sweetheart is active chasing squirrels, rabbits and deer every day. She eats after her morning activities. She is healthy and happy. Hasn’t been sick since we switched back to Royal Canin Yorkshire 28. I highly recommend it!
    Please don’t bash me on here like I’ve seen others bashed. Simply sharing my experience to keep Yorkies happy and healthy.

#44920 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I’m glad you decided to go with the food that works for your little one. I believe feed what works, within reason of course. I still say don’t feed something as low as Alpo, or Moist and Meaty….because I’m sure you can find something better that will still work. I’m kind of in the same boat as you were….one of my Cavaliers was having issues with digestion and stool. I tried all kinds, and I mean a lot, of different foods, some very highly rated and some that I still may feed at a later date, before I went with Wellness’s new Small Breed formulas. They, like the RC for Yorkies, are specially formulated for small breeds. I’m not saying that every small breed needs to eat a small breed formula because I really don’t believe that, but it just so happens mine needed this kind of formulation and it’s working, and I’m so glad I tried them.

#44924 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I have yorkies and I would never feed them royal canine. I use only canned and dehydrated now but when I fed kibble I liked wellness. Sharyorkie do u breed yorkies? I do love them they are like little people.

Viewing 14 posts - 51 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.