šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Denis S

Hello, I am the proud dog dad of a 3 year old, German Shepherd named Achilles. Today, I rushed him to my Vet because I found a golf ball sized flesh wound on the right side of his anus. She concluded that it was his diet, and needs to be on a hydrolyzed diet. I was skeptic, especially since I have been feeding him and my former Rottweiler, Diamond dog food for quit some time and never had this happen. I will be looking for a second opinion. The dog food she tried very hard to persuade my to buy was Science Diet Z/D, a $100 bag her clinic was selling. I refused it, but definitely took the prescription medicine. I began doing research on alternative brands in direct competition to Science Diet Z/D. I have found a few that I am currently interested in and have read positive reviews. I am even considering cooking for him instead, it may be cheaper.
    My question, what do you recommend? What brand? Or should I just start cooking for my boy?

#135985 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Hydrolyzed foods are typically for dogs with severe food sensitivities. I would have further testing done before moving to that. I donā€™t really consider it a long term food to feed either, itā€™s over priced and full of carbs and hardly any meat protein whatsoever. I also donā€™t think itā€™s a very good look for the vet to not want to investigate further into what caused this to happen to your dog and just immediately say itā€™s due to diet . I would def get a second opinion.
    A fresh home cooked (preferably raw tho) diet is ideal. However you have to be sure youā€™re doing it correctly. A model for raw to follow is the 80/10/5/5, 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% secretory organ. Cooked is different and I would consult with a nutritionalist before moving to a cooked diet as that is very different than raw.

#135986 Report Abuse
    anonymous

More Nonsense from Holistic Vets about Commercial Therapeutic Diets

Excerpt below, click on link for complete article and comments

More Nonsense from Holistic Vets about Commercial Therapeutic Diets
    Posted on July 20, 2016 by skeptvet
    “One of the subjects that holistic vets and other advocates of alternative practices get really passionate about is the evils of commercial and conventional diets. They promote a laundry list of myths about pet food, many of which Iā€™ve addressed before:”

Also: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

I hope you will continue to work closely with your vet, the therapeutic diet is an important part of treatment. There are no commercial or homecooked that will compare.

#135987 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“This explanation is, in fact, the exact opposite of the true nature of dietary allergies. Whole proteins are the primary trigger for allergies in animals predisposed to have them. And when there is a malfunction in the GI tract such that it fails to break proteins down into small enough pieces, this can make allergies more likely. Finally, one of the most effective treatments for food allergies is to feed hydrolyzed protein diets, diets in which the proteins are chemically processed (gasp!) into small enough pieces that they cannot trigger an allergy reaction.”
    “I certainly donā€™t expect lay people to be experts in the mechanics of digestion and food allergies, but this level of ignorance is frightening and inexcusable in a manufacturer of a pet food. It also indicates the blatant disregard for scientific fact so often seen in the marketing and promotion of raw and other unconventional pet diets”.

Above is an excerpt from http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2012/01/misleading-advertising-for-raw-pet-food-again/
    click on link for full article and comments

Hope this helps!

#135999 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Denis S,

Any chance that your dog was diagnosed as having perianal fustula? My friends shepherd had this many many years ago and at that time it had just been identified that adverse food reaction could be a component of the problem. Her dog was placed on a vet therapeutic diet along with medication and eventually was maintained on diet alone.

Here is some information on that condition https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20536692
    https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4952922

Only the vet therapeutic diets are specifically made for treating adverse food reactions as OTC foods often have proteins in them that are not on the ingredient list. Home cooking is a alternative using items your dog hasn’t eaten in the past. Ask your vet for advice.

#136374 Report Abuse
    Candace P

I really good dry dog food is Orijen, and it is one of the lower carb, grain free kibbles around, made in Canada and if your dog does not have any food sensitivities, they have several flavors to rotate feedings . . . it just didn’t work for the dog I have now, but her poops were almost like a dog’s that is eating a raw diet . . . not to be graphic but they came out in nuggets instead of being all compressed together into a squishy turd (sorry).

Right now I am feeding Nom Nom Now, it is a cooked dog food that is shipped to your door. It runs me about $130/mo for my 50lb pit bull mix and she has all kind of issues such as crusty skin bumps, yeasty feet (why I need a low carb dog food), and cannot tolerate chicken or beef. She is fed the Nom Nom Now pork with Nulo salmon kibble. Her bumps are completely gone for the first time in about two years, but I think the kibble may be a little too high in carbs as her feet aren’t doing well. I am thinking of trying Ketona Natural kibble because it a a new very low carb, high protein salmon kibble (they make a chicken as well).

#136686 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Denis,

Look into feeding Freeze Dried raw..

“Buckley Liberty” formula’s came 1st, 2nd 3rd & 4th when 299 best selling dog foods were tested for Heavy Metals, Contaminates & Toxins, these dog foods are tested every 3-4 months & Buckley has stayed on top..
    https://buckleypet.com/collections/all/products/liberty-fresh-dry-food-for-dogs

Also look at “Stella & Chewy”
    https://www.stellaandchewys.com/raw-feeding/what-is-right-for-you/

Start rotating between a few good brands, never just feed the same brand of dog food, this is when the dog can start to react to an ingredient.

#140285 Report Abuse
    Karen G

My young chiweenie Jake has IBD and has been on Royal Canin hydrolyzed dry and wet food since he was diagnosed. It’s a major struggle getting him to eat this stuff! To me the canned food looks like plastic, and it all stinks. I can’t blame Jake for turning up his nose! I can’t imagine hydrolyzed food only being made by one company. I’m not concerned about whether or not it’s prescription. I’d just like to buy something that Jake doesn’t sniff and walk away from. It’s sad because he used to twirl ’round and ’round when it was time to eat. Now he stays in another room and must be coerced into eating this stuff (by adding pumpkin, sweet potato or banana, and those don’t work all that well either). I’m not familiar with the “Wholehearted” brand . Is that the best alternative?

#140286 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Hi Karen g, wholehearted is only carried by petco. Their skin formula has hydrolyzed salmon as itā€™s only meat source. It is the only over the counter food Iā€™ve seen with hydrolyzed protein. Iā€™m sure there are maybe a few others, but I have not seen anything mainstream.
    Iā€™m assuming youā€™re vet recommended an elimination diet when he prescribed this food right? I donā€™t believe royal Canin foods are worth a quarter of what they charge nor should the majority of their prescription foods be fed permanently. Iā€™m sure there is a quality food or diet out there that will work with your dog, it will just take time to find. If you can ask your vet about an elimination diet to figure out what causes flare ups with your dog that will help u a lot in the long run.
    Susan, who has commented above, has a lot of experience with severe ibd so I would check out some of the stuff sheā€™s suggested as well.

#140289 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Purina makes a hydrolyzed food I believe. It is a RX food ask your vet about it. I know a lot of dogs like Purina it is more palatable from what I hear.

#141266 Report Abuse
    Owen J

Puppies feed on mother’s milk until they are 6ā€“8 weeks old. But if in the first twenty days of life milk plays an exceptional role in the nutrition of babies, then later its value decreases.

The first puppy feed should be organized as early as 3-4 weeks, when the animals themselves begin to look for new food sources.

https://herepup.com/best-dog-food-for-shelties/

#141281 Report Abuse
    Jane W

Hi, I am a newbie dog owner here, I don’t understand Hydrolyzed Diet, is it that i need to buy my doggie some water bottle when she’s eating?

#147272 Report Abuse
    Suzanne W

Donā€™t be afraid of the hydrolized dog food. I was for a long time. It is so expensive! I have 2 Great Pyrenees dogs, very large, so they eat about 60 pounds of food a month. At $100 for a 25 pound bag, thatā€™s really expensive for us! But our girl suffers from constant ear infections and is on apoquel for allergies which is not really working very well. Those are all expensive, too. Lots of vet bills. Two weeks ago we decided to take the plunge and try the hydrolized dog food. Itā€™s working! She has stopped itching, no more scratching at her ear and shaking her head! Weā€™ll be on it for 2 months, so we have a while to go, but itā€™s so great to see her more comfortable. I was a disbeliever, but Iā€™m now convinced it can work! Good luck to you!

#150164 Report Abuse
    Chipy
    Participant

Hi Denis,

I’m sorry to hear you are going through this with Achilles. He is lucky to have you taking care of him. It’s wonderful that you are considering cooking for him. In my experience it is more economical than feeding commercially processed foods.

Here is an article you may find interesting regarding hydrolyzed diets;
    https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11015041-why-dogs-lick-their-paws-natural-approach-to-treatment

I find this online recipe maker super helpful in creating home cooked meals for my pup;
    https://recipemaker.peterdobias.com/

Wishing you and Achilles all the best in good health! šŸ™‚

#150308 Report Abuse
    Scott B
    Participant

That could be perrianal or abscess imo. Hydro food is for allergy or IBD dogs

#151449 Report Abuse
    Jack J
    Participant

I have a sack of Royal Canin hydrolyzed protein (HP) dog food. It was for my Rhodesian Ridgeback who had IBD. Unfortunately, he passed last weekend. My question: can I use this food safely for my other dogs? I’d just mix it in with their regular food. I just don’t want to waste the food.

Merry Christmas

#151450 Report Abuse
    anonymous

If it’s unopened I would try to return it.
    If this is not an option. I would mix it with your other dogs regular food to use it up, maybe 3/4 regular food. 1/4 prescription food.
    I have done that before with no adverse effects.
    I am not a vet
    Sorry for your loss.

#151478 Report Abuse
    jim N
    Participant

our rescue silk terrier apx 10 years old suffered from extreme diarrhea with blood and mucus beginning bout 5 years ago, after a bunch of vet visits and Rx $$$$ he would recover then revert. we tried chicken and rice, recommended by many and found many dogs are allergic to chicken. we tried every brand and specie of dog food. same result. we then were recommended by vet to put our dog on a strict hydrolyzed protein diet and it is working out very well for him. it has been about 3 years on this diet and he has very few episodes if we watch what he eats. If we give him table scraps, which he loves, even tiny amounts, we can see results next day in his too soft poop. we have another dog, a malteepoo King Charles about the same size and weight and they eat side by side as best buddies. he has no dietary issues but…we had to put out only one kind of food, because they share everything. so now both dogs have been on Rx hydrolyzed protein by Royal Cannin for a few years and both are doing very well. Occasionally we supplement their diet with canned pumpkin and it helps with constipation or loose stool. we are never sure what they eat as they are roaming around in dog parks.
    it is about 2.5x the price of other quality dog food. for our pups it is a no brainer as we thought the silky would die from the problem. I am now looking at probiotics, prebiotics and digestive enzymes to help both dogs with digestion and good health. PS they eat grease too often, hence the probiotic thoughts

#151720 Report Abuse

Hi Denis,
    I am not sure if you are still checking responses and hope Achilles is feeling better now. But, when I read your comment, the first thing I thought of too (and agree with Aimee) is wondering if it could be a perianal fistula? My neighbor’s German Shepherd has that too and I think the condition is found more commonly in the breed. She has him on a canned grain-free, hypoallergenic diet called Natural Balance fish and potato. She mixes in some pumpkin because that helps keep things moving and makes it less painful. Using probiotics really helps too. I have used this brand Power Probiotic https://www.askariel.com/pet-probiotics-p/81.htm for many years with my pups. It’s easy to use and I have no idea why but my dogs will even lick it up without food! Anyhow, hope Achilles is doing better.

#156510 Report Abuse
    Dylan O
    Participant

Has anyone tried an alternative to a hydrolyzed diet?

Here it is described in section 6.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Dylan O.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.