šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Vianca V

This march I lost my beloved 15.6 year old pekingese, his name is Fluffy, I met him when I was 9 and he was my best friend and baby. Full disclosure I do have to recognize that he was older and had a few conditions but all of them where under control. In January, I had a 5 day trip scheduled and left him with my aunt who has alway taken care of him, for two weeks before that I decided to feed him Hills Prescription ID just to make sure he was eating well, when I came back although that first week he was well, the next week following up to the day he died we had a very rough go at it, he could not stop vomiting, and having bloody diarrhea, he lost a lot of weight, and was constantly dehydrated, and his blood work would show signs of renal failure and them they came back perfect. This went on for week, my concern is could that food have been somewaht responsible for what happened to him? Has anyone had a similar experience, or have you heard of something like this? I also noticed my 5 year old rescues skin condition got agravated and my moms 11 year old chihuahua developed allergies. Since then they are all of ID however my Dashound is on Hills Prescription Metabolic Diet to keep his weight in line and my 5 year old rescue is on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Small Breed Formula, at this moment they are under different tratments my dashund for weight control due to the fact that he has a propensity to slip his disk, and my rescue is being treated for allergies and a staph bacterial infection which he was diagnosed with 2 days ago as the reason why he has been having so many skin conditions. Im afraid that keeping them on these diets may lead to their prematures death but I dont know what other options I have, all vets seem to recomed are those diets and even the few vets that are homeopathic, and natural medice friendly suggest these food.

#45928 Report Abuse
    Robin B

Unfortunately Vets don’t know that much about dog food. Most of them refer foods that they are somewhat familiar with and that they sell themselves. Recommending, selling or whatever at times means a little more money in the Vet’s pockets. I WOULDN’T feed my dog either Hill’s or Royal Canin. They are both trash foods loaded with a lot of trash…literally! There are some great foods out there. This site is very objective. Take a look and pick either a four or five star rated food. I’m sorry for your loss and good luck with your pet’s futures!

#46135 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi Vianca,
    I’m sorry for the loss of Fluffy. I agree that most vets don’t know much about nutrition. For your dog who needs to lose weight, I had great success with Wellness Core reduced fat. I haven’t tried Annamaet Lean but others have with good luck.
    For the dog with allergies, we need more information. What are the symptoms the dog has? Please post the ingredients to the dog good he eats. What other food products does he eat: treats, supplements, anything.

#46201 Report Abuse
    Vianca V

InkedMarie, thank you for your suggestion I had been considering the core reduced fat too. As for my rescue, initially he had been diagnosed with a fungus 2 years ago, in may my primary vet decided to put him in a more aggressive treatment in order to finish with his condition, unfortunately it really didnt go well his skin got even more agravated and he became slightly anorexic and lethargic. After a chat with a friend of mine who manufactures natural dog shampoo she suggested I visit her vet. Her vet who really impressed performed a uv light test, a Skin Scraping/Trichogram, and a Skin Cytology. He diagnosed him with staph a bacterial infection, Candida, and allergies. He prescrived Apoquel 5.4 mg, Ku Shen Si Wu, Dandruff Formula 0.5g Caps, Cefpodoxime 100mg, and a antibacterial antifungal shampoo and conditioner. He also like I mentioned put him on Royal Canin Hypoallegenic Small Breed 8.8 lbs, these are the ingredients :Brewer’s Rice, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Vegetable Oil, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Dried Beet Pulp, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Salt, Fish Oil, Fructooligosaccharides, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Taurine, Chlorine Chloride, DL-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (source Of Vitamin E), Inositol, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source Of Vitamin C), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Marigold Extract (Tagetes Erecta L), Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Magnanous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite And Rosemary Extract, Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid. Wold love any suggestions

#46203 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I would try the core. The grain free could clear up some of that condition. I would maybe look into a transitioning food since wellness core is a lot richer than hills. Something like precise that isn’t crazy rich and also is basic chicken and brown rice, I wouldn’t feed it long term though

#46227 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Yikes, no way would I feed any dog that food, especially a dog with allergies. I’d put him on almost any other food and consult a holistic vet, one who is well versed in nutrition.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.