🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ly

Is it just the higher the protein % then the higher the star rating they get? That’s what it seems like. I wanna feed 5 star but my dog can’t handle a high percentage of protein…. loose stool.

#52245 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

what do you consider high protein %? There are some that are in the mid 30% that are 5 stars as well, which is where i feed, and don’t particularly consider it high. I have one who can’t really handle 40% so that’s what I mean when I say “high”. There is certainly nothing wrong with 4 and 4.5 star foods on this site either though, so don’t be as worried about that

#52246 Report Abuse
    Ly

Oh, he can’t handle anything over 30%. I tried Origen and Acana (diarrhea) and Holistic Select (wouldn’t touch it) and Wellness Core (wouldn’t touch it) and BB, now I’m trying Go!. I wanted something with a few different flavors/protein choices so I can rotate within the same brand (I was told I wouldn’t have to transition then). The best poops he has is on BB chicken and rice puppy. But he doesn’t do well on the beef. And I was also told to not stick with one protein source b/c they can develop an allergy. So changing within the brand is ideal. It seems he does well around 27%. And with all the BB issues I just wanted something else. Researching I found that Origen/Acana was like the “best”, but that’s not an option for his tummy.

#52251 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I wouldn’t worry yourself over staying within the brand, that’s a bit of a myth. I switch between brands with every bag, and i don’t even bother to mix them unless i dont have enough left to give a full meal. Depending on how you switched though if your dog isnt used to a rotational diet, you may have switched Acana too fast, as that is a fair amount lower in protein than orijen (which i can’t use either) I do like acana, though alot if their kibble sizes are a bit big for my liking.

I don’t recommend blue buffalo at all-any line of them. sketchy company, if you nose about on the forums you will see a lot more in depth comments about tham

Some dogs dont do well on certain proteins, so that could have been the case with the beef there, though it could have been changing him too quickly if he isn’t used to it.

As far as that range of protein %, I would try out Fromm, especially the 4 star line, they have plenty of flavors to pick from. I also like Earthborn, and the small breed i use a lot in my rotation as I have one that has issues with peas so a lot of grain free blends don’t work for us (though sometimes I just buy her a separate bag and the other 2 can share) but the Earthborn grain free line is a favorite of mine as well, though it’s a bit higher in the protein than what you are looking for. Go! is manufactured by Now Fresh and they have Now Fresh and Summit you could look into. Nature’s Variety prairie is a bit lower and from a solid company, precise is a good company…you will find that in the 20%s for protein, you probably won’t be at 5 stars, but as long as the red ingredients are kept to a minimum, i wouldn’t balk at the food if it’s what you need to do for your dogs stomach

#52256 Report Abuse
    Ly

I’m going out now to buy a bag of Fromm! 🙂

#52264 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

My foster dogs do well on Nutrisource grain free Lamb Meal formula. Not too high and not too low! It’s 28% They’ve also rotated with the Heartland Select formula at 25%. And the majority of the time I put a little 5 star canned food on top.

And the more protein a dog food has, the more stars it gets on this site (but also taking into account any red flagged ingredients). There are other sites that rate food according to different criteria. For instance, one site will rate Ol Roy as the best food. For my fosters, they handle 25-33% well. My personal dogs eat raw. You could just rotating brands and different percentages and let him have time to adjust over the next several months.

/frequently-asked-questions/rate-dog-food/

/choosing-dog-food/dog-food-reviews-problems/

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by pugmomsandy.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.