šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Melissa S

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a high protein (because my baby is a senior dog), but is low in fat (because he has had pancreatitis), AND limited ingredient or for sensitive GI systems (because he gets colitis). I’ve been struggling with him for a few months now trying everything the vet recommends, which is just different Hill’s prescription diets that they sell. I do believe he has issues with chicken, which all the Hill’s diets seem to have- he did not do well with the i/d one- which is supposed to be for sensitive digestive systems. Any suggestions would be so appreciated. Bo’s belly will appreciate it too!

#146347 Report Abuse
    Ryan K
    Participant

Have you tried the Hills ID low fat? I know itā€™s still chicken but I struggled with finding my dog the right food with his stomach issues and despite him having a chicken sensitivity he does really well on the ID low fat version. He didnā€™t do well on the regular ID though. His stomach issues have been a lot better. He still licks his paws and stuff because of the allergy to chicken but itā€™s not that serious where u would need to get him off the food. They might have small trial bags at your vets office. Just a suggestion! šŸ™‚

#146374 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Nature’s Logic Sardine Meal Feast

#146554 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Hi Melissa.

You do have some options among veterinary therapeutic/prescription diets for your dog’s medical needs. Hills, Purina, and Royal Canin all offer options for pancreatitis and digestive issues, and they differ from one another.

When you mention Hills prescription diets, encountering all chicken based formulas, did you happen to try this one:

https://www.chewy.com/hills-prescription-diet-id-digestive/dp/54523

THIS lowfat formula for pancreatitis is primarily turkey and pork organ meat + egg, along with highly digestible (easy on the GI system) white rice. I can see that there is a bit of “chicken flavor”. . . but honestly, it’s pretty far down the ingredient list at #14, AFTER even the start of minerals & vitamins.

The protein is about 22-23% dry matter minimum, but remember that it’s the overall amino acids complete profile, high quality ingredients, and high digestibility that’s important vs a crude protein minimum. Those ingredients genuinely do look high quality, and like they could really help your dog, and taste pretty good to him too!

But if that doesn’t work for you, Royal Canin’s can formula does NOT contain chicken and is 25% protein, lower fat at 4% Min to 10% Max than Hill’s. (Purina’s is 32% Min protein dry matter in the canned, but has chicken.) See below, for therapeutic diet examples:

https://www.petmd.com/dog/what-you-need-know-about-dog-food-pancreatitis-0

As far as OTC diets go, when you start adding multiple specific medical condition needs — lowfat pancreatitis suitable, limited ingredient, good for colitis and sensitive GI system, no chicken — along with additional preferences such as high protein for senior life stage, or let’s say you want only a dry food (vs can), it becomes pretty difficult to impossible to find that “unicorn” OTC food. OTC foods are primarily made for healthy, average dogs without particular medical conditions, let alone multiple.

But if you want to expand your options to OTC formulas, try asking your vet to give you the fat level he is recommending for pancreatitis, ask him whether he thinks you need to avoid chicken in formulas (and why or why not) and discuss what issues you believe your dog has with eating chicken, and review a product you pick with him.

For example, the fat minimum and maximum of the Hill’s Lowfat I/D has a pretty big range listed, just under 8% Min. to about 16% Max. Ask about recommended fiber level too. Discuss what your vet thinks you should look for in protein level for your senior and why.

For example, brands make lowfat foods including higher protein ones, and you may find some that don’t contain chicken. Solid Gold, just for one example, makes a “Fit & Fabulous” very lowfat formula (6%), with ~29% minimum protein on a dry matter basis. Fiber is 9% max. The formula may not be as digestible as the Hills & your vet’s recommendations, or have the right nutrient profile features. Then again, your vet may think it’s worth trying this one or another.

#146580 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Melissa,

Here is another set of options for a diet to fit your dog’s nutritional needs and medical conditions, your preferences:

1)A veterinary therapeutic prescription diet (among others offered), which your vet can consult on & write an order for:

https://www.justfoodfordogs.com/metabolic-support
    Turkey, Beef, Eggs — with squash & oats 30% protein/10% Fat

2)A custom diet just for your dog, to your vet’s and your specifications:

https://www.justfoodfordogs.com/custom-prescriptive

3)One of their standard diets, if suitable, such as this one:

https://www.justfoodfordogs.com/fish-sweet-potato
    Wild Caught Cod & Sweet Potatoes + Veggies — 35% Protein/10% Fat (Min)

*****Another option (#4) is that you can order the recipe + balancing vitamin/mineral supplement ONLY and make the food yourself. This can be a much cheaper alternative.*****
    https://www.justfoodfordogs.com/diy

If your vet is not familiar with this company, its veterinary therapeutic diets by prescription and regular diets, you can tell him that the company 1)has performed feeding trials that meet AAFCO protocols for its foods and 2)has board certified veterinary nutritionists as well as other veterinarians (including with advanced specialties such as toxicology) on staff involved in formulating and available for consult.

Of course, you also could pursue a separate route of homemade, via you and/or your vet consulting with a veterinary nutritionist.

#146637 Report Abuse
    a c

My dog has pancreatitis a couple years ago. I rotate between Annamaet Lean and Candidae platinum less active formula as base. I add boil chicken tenders, fresh vegetables, sometimes sardines or fish, and warm filtered water to the food. My dog is not allergic to the chicken though.

I still keep a few cans of Hillā€™s ID cans(the original flavor)on hand for occasional flare ups. Hillā€™s prescription can food had massive recalls this year for high Vitamin D content, so make sure you double check the lot number and the date for safely.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.