Freshpet viral instinct raw diet for kidney disease?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Freshpet viral instinct raw diet for kidney disease?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeanine H

I have a 15 year old, 8 lb chihuahua named Joey. He’s basically been pretty healthy most of his life, very few problems. He does have bad teeth now, his last dental was over seven years ago because I’ve been able to keep it under control with brushing, but it now really needs to be done. He had a UTI in January that was found on routine exam, he had minimal to no symptoms. He was put on a course of antibiotics, and supposedly cleared, but I noticed no behavior change at all-he was active, good appetite and urinating and drinking normally. In February, I was a little suspicious, only because he was urinating a slight bit more often, but is 15, and it was barely perceptible difference. That test came back positive, and he had another round of antibiotics. Still no behavior change. Nothing that would tell me that he was any better, but he had no symptoms, so he was just his usual active happy self . Pre dental check of urine a few weeks ago showed UTI (still? Or again, who knows), and he was given a different antibiotic, which really showed results-my happy energetic senior because more active, more playful and running around all over! So then he was planning to be getting a dental this week, but it got postponed Wednesday because his blood values indicated that his kidney function wasn’t great. Creatinine 1.8 , BUN 51, phosphorus 7.7. He was put on KD diet, canned. He hates it, but ate it when I added scrambled egg whites. Also aluminum hydroxide twice daily-he hates that too. Question: prior to this, he was eating FreshPet grain free chicken, small dog bites. He absolutely loved it. I’ve read that raw may be beneficial with KD so would FreshPet raw instincts be a viable option for a food if he won’t eat the KD food?

#118278 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Jeanine-

Lowering protein and phosphorus in the diet has been the staple gold standard treatment for KD patients. Raw diets tend to be high in both, so I can’t say I would recommend going back to his old diet.

Which KD canned diet is he on right now? If he doesn’t like this one, there are two more companies that make a KD specific diet you could try for him. .

#118297 Report Abuse
    Jeanine H

He’s on Hills Science KD.
    He previously was on regular grain free FreshPet (chicken). I was just thinking that raw might be better. It looks like it’s not. Thank you so much!

#118302 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

I’ve seen a lot of KD dogs not like Hills. I would try Purina or Royal Canin.

#118309 Report Abuse
    Jeanine H

Ok thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.