🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kelly A
    Participant

My dog recently had surgery for bladder stones and now has to be on prescription urinary diets for the rest of his life. However, the only ones I’ve been able to find are chicken-based, and he has a sensitive stomach to that. He’s been on fish and sweet potato-based foods his whole life, and those have seem to settle well with him.

Does anyone know of a fish-based urinary tract diet/food that exists? He’s been having an upset stomach pretty much since we started him on these foods, and we have changed around the options that my vet has. Poor guy is not having it, but clearly we don’t want to go back to surgery in a year.

#153384 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Please consult your vet. There are no veterinary healthcare professionals affiliated with this site.

Per the search engine /forums/search/bladder+stones/

PS: Ask your vet if the prescription canned food would be better? Discuss with your vet.

#153387 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Kelly A-
    I have a cat that has had a urinary blockage and is also on a prescription diet and has not had a recurrence. Thank goodness!!! Have you asked your vet if there is a non chicken food that would work?

I know that Royal Canin, Purina, and Hills all make prescription food. Maybe you could visit their websites and see if any of them make a fish based Urinary Rx food. If yes, see if your vet will give you a prescription to purchase it elsewhere.

Good luck!

#153391 Report Abuse
    Kelly A
    Participant

I have asked my vet. And I have looked through Royal Canin and Hills and they are all chicken. Vet can’t find anything, and frankly, I don’t think he cares. It’s upsetting my dog’s stomach, so I don’t think wet food would make any difference. He’s throwing up regularly and had this same issue on chicken-based food as a puppy.

#153468 Report Abuse
    Nadia K
    Participant

Kelly,
    Have you considered putting your dog on raw? That may be an option.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.