Explain the fat-to-protein ratio

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Explain the fat-to-protein ratio

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Scott B

Hi everyone,

New to the site and I was curious if anyone could explain the fat-to-protein ratio to me?
    I thought in the intro video Mike said 60 to 80% was a good ratio, why would more fat be a good thing? Or did I misunderstand?

Thank you.
    Scott

#80042 Report Abuse

Hi Scott,

I created the fat-to-protein ratio a few years ago to help get a better idea about the quality of the meat that was used to make a dog food.

The average range for FPR data is between 50% and 80%. In the right proportions, fat isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

In fact, unlike carbs, fat and protein are essential nutrients.

However, when the FPR begins to approach the extremes of that range (say 40% on the low end and over 80% on the upper end), my warning lights begin to flash.

Ultra low FPR can suggest a low meat content.

Higher FPR numbers (say greater than 80%) begin to suggest a food’s been made with fatty trimmings and slaughterhouse waste.

Hope that makes sense.

#80043 Report Abuse

DogFoodie

Hi Scott,

I just wanted to add my thoughts in addition to Dr. Mike’s response.

I pulled up a conversation I had with a friend about this very topic and this is one of her comments regarding FPR that stuck with me most.

“Basically, if the calories from fat are too high then the pup gets full before meeting his protein and nutrient needs. Fed this way long term and he will develop symptoms due to those missing nutrients. Because fat has double the calories of protein (and carbs) Steve Brown and Dr. Becker recommend diets should be about 50% more meat than fat on a dry matter basis – so if the kibble is 40% protein it should be around 20% fat.”

#81228 Report Abuse

Scott B

Thank you for the replies.
    Sorry it took so long to reply, work and the holidays got me really tied up.

Thanks again!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.