šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Susan
    Participant

Has anyone have a dog with Acid Reflux or Stomach Ulcer, what foods were they on & what medication worked to stop the acid??

#37790 Report Abuse
    Jeff T

Our dog has acid reflux. He was throwing up ( I think he’s actually just regurgitating, not really throwing up) about once or twice a week in the middle of the night and every now and then during the day while we are at work. We switched his food to Nutro chicken and oatmeal formula a couple of years ago and it seemed to control it pretty well. He only had an incident every other month or so. We’ve tried to give him Tums, per the vets recommendation, but he never would eat them.

About 2 months ago our dog got worse. He was throwing up (or regurgitate) every day. We have found that feeding him chicken and rice for a few days clears up these episodes and he’s back to normal. I started researching raw food and cooked food diets for him and now I’m making his food myself. I use chicken thighs (they are the cheapest), sweet potato, carrots, green beans, and blueberries. I throw it all in a slow cooker and when it’s done I remove the bones and mash it all up. I add 1/2 cup of dry food and 1/2 cup of rice when I’m ready to feed them and they love it. No more tummy issues and their farts smell 90% better. Or, is it 90% less bad? Either way, both dogs could clear out a room before.

The only part of the diet I haven’t solved yet is the supplements. It seems like there are good and bad things said about Dinovite, but I haven’t tried that yet. I’ve been using Nupro, and it seems to work ok.

#37795 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

If your dog has an Ulcer you have to get that healed up before the acid reflux will disappear also. My 6-lb Shih Tzu gets 1/4 of a Pepcid AC every 12 hrs. She is also on a stomach coating so the Ulcer can heal and that is called Sucralfate 1/4 dissolved in a syringe of water. I give her that 30 min prior to feeding her. I am mixing cooked Halibut and white fish and sardines in with her Nutrisca Salmon and chick pea kibble and she is doing good so far.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.