Dog throwing up

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Dog throwing up

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul H

Hello, I’ve been feeding my 8 yr old black lab raw for about 2 years. He loves it and has been very healthy. Recently I changed his glucosamine supplement and after a few days he got sick and was throwing up most of the day. We took him to the vet, he had no temp, no diarrhea, or blood in vomit. Our vet said to wait until 12 hours after his last vomit, and cook up some ground beef and white rice. We fed him that twice last night, he seemed better, but now my wife found some vomit with the food in it. Could it be because we fed him cooked beef? Thank you in advance.

#93158 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Give the vet a call and ask him to call you back when he has a minute.
    I would stop all supplements, keep his diet as simple as possible. He is a senior at 8 years old, break the piggybank and get some lab work done (if you haven’t done so already).
    Lab values tell a lot and can identify ailments in the early stages, when they will respond to treatment. I would stop the raw. Instead, get a quality kibble and gradually mix the cooked beef/rice mixture into it, add a splash of water to meals. Maybe presoak the kibble in H2O if he doesn’t frequent his water bowl. Hope this helps.
    Also, http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=raw

PS: I would continue the bland diet for your dog, boiled rice and hamburger, until stable.
    I would add a splash of water to meals.

#93218 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    as we get older we don’t make as much hydrochloric acid to digest our food & its harder to digest food so the food sits in our stomach, Google “Hypochlorhydria” is low stomach acid
    it may just be a coincidence the glucosamine has cause this, I prefer to give my 8yrs old Omega 3 supplements or feed foods high in omega 3 fatty acid for his joints, skin etc, I’ve been very lucky with Patch he doesn’t have any joint problems yet, he is walked 3 times a day cause I live in a unit & he’s kept lean…but my boy does have IBD mainly stomach problems & skin allergies & was vomiting undigested food a year ago, I had to make his gut strong & healthy. Dog probiotic like Purina Fortiflora is good, they tested 10 dog probiotics & found only 3 of them had live cultures & Purina Fortiflora was voted number 1, I give Yukalt it’s a probiotic drink in the fridge section at supermarket, I drink 1/2 & Patch gets the other 1/2 there’s 5 small pink drinks, he has stoped his vomiting & eating grass every morning, so the Yakult drinks have probably fixed his bacteria in his gut & bowel & made it healthy again..
    https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-veterinary-diets/dp/50000
    I feed lean white meats, I buy lean pork grounded mince 1kg (2lb), add 1 whisk egg, a few chopped up small broccoli heads broken off the broccoli, 1 teaspoon chopped up parsley, some kale chopped up just 1 leaf, or you can use 1 spinach leaf or another veggie, I was grating 1 small carrot, I suppose start with less is best then the next batch of rissoles add another finally chopped up veggie….. mix all together & make 1 cup size rissole, (it makes about 8-9 x 1 cup size rissoles) & bake in oven on a foiled covered baking tray, when they’re 1/2 cooked take out tray of rissole & drain any excess water & fat there’s normally hardly any fat, then turn over the rissoles & bake, don’t over cook the rissoles as soon as there’s no blood they’re ready, I also peel & cut up sweet potato & boil, I do not boil rice, rice ferments in the stomach, it’s no good, the new thing is to cook either potato or sweet potato…. Hamburger mince is very high in fat it’s not recommended anymore…. I also boil some pumkin & freeze you can also freeze the rissoles, I only add about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup of sweet potatoes or potatoes & a small piece of pumkin to 1 rissole, mix altogether & cut up rissole finally so it’s easier to digest…
    Do not give a raw feed dog any dry kibble, kibble is harder to digest even when water is added, vet hasn’t prescribe any kibble, fed a wet tin food if vet advises a vet prescription diet…but a cooked diet is heaps better then any vet diets….cook foods that are easy to digest & white lean meats for now, beef is a stronger more rich meat like Kangaroo, I didn’t know this lol poor Patch he loved his beef & kangaroo rissole but his stomach didn’t it came back up undigested…
    also cook some home made healthy doggy treat biscuits there’s a few recipes online… I have a few if needed.. he may need a 10 day course of Metronidazole it’s an antibiotic for stomach & bowel.. also feed 3-4 smaller meals a day.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.