🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    joanne l

Does anyone use Holistic Select dog food? If so is it good?

#128427 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

I tried Holistic Select Senior back 2014 then again 2016 I tried the Puppy/Adult Salmon & Sardine Grain Free formula Patches poos were good, skin was good but after 2 months he wasn’t really interested in it probably cause of the Fish causing acid reflux??…
    The Holistic Select Senior had grains a few years ago but Patches mouth licking & swollowing started again & poos were sloppy & yellow so I returned to pet shop probably cause of the Barley now Holistic Select Senior is Grain Free now & has Chickpeas, Peas, Lentils,…
    I prefer Canidae or Wellness Patch seemed to do better.
    I prefer meat 1st 2nd & 3rd ingredients less carbs, less reactions, less fiber, less problems for Patches IBD & skin…

It will all depend on “your” dog, you have to take the plunge, I did the same after I found out Patch has IBD, I was stressing out what foods too feed him cause I didnt know 100% what he was sensitive too 🙁
    For 1 yr back 2013 Patch was on a Vet Diet Eukanuba Intestinal his poos were small & OK but he had bad yeasty itchy smelly skin, paws & itchy bum probably from the grains & beet pulp?? the vet said we’ll let his bowel heal first then deal with his skin problems, I was soooooo scared to try another dog food, then vet said do you want to try Vet diet Eukanuba Fish & Potato FP formula, a few of my IBD dog patients who have skin problems do really well on teh Eukanuba FP but Patch had bad diarhea & all I had introduced was about 20 kibbles to 1 cup of Eukanuba Intesinal kibble the first day he seemed OK, 2nd day OK, I was still only giving 20 new dry FP kibbles mixed with his Intestinal kibble, then on the 3rd day he had BAD diarhea water as soon as he ate he had to poo badly, Ive never seen him this bad, so took back the big bag of Eukanuba FP to vet practice he was put back on Metronidazole cause after going back on his Eukanuba Intestinal the diarrhea would stop, we had to fast him for 48hrs & was put on Royal Canine Intestinal wet can food, his vet said it was probably the potatoes so for 2 years I was SSSSSSOOOOOOO scared to try a grain free kibble that had Potatoes but now I’ve realised it was probably bad Fish meal in the Eukanuba FP formula not the potatoes unless they were green & rotten?…

Look for a dry kibble that doesnt have tooo many ingredients has at least 2-3 meat proteins as 1st 2nd & 3rd ingredients as protein meat is easier to digest, a dogs digestive tract is short, made to digest meat diet..

Have you looked at “Victor” Select range the Lamb Meal & Brown Rice formula or I like the Chicken Meal Brown Rice with Lamb Meal formula,
    it has Lamb Meal Patch would do really well on the Victor Select Formula’s they have no barley, the Victor formula also have Montmorillonite clay, Id find a store that sells Victor & give the Chicken Meal Brown Rice & Lamb meal a go or the Lamb Meal & Brown Rice these are the ingredients to the Select Chicken Meal formula

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Whole Grain Millet, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Grain Sorghum, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Flax Seed (source of Omega 3 Fatty Acid), Feeding Oat Meal, Yeast Culture, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Kelp, Montmorillonite,

https://victorpetfood.com/products/lamb-meal-brown-rice-formula

#128552 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi Susan, thanks for the info. I think Victor is a good food, but I don’t like the “blood meal” in the lamb and rice. First I just don’t like that ingredient and we don’t know what animal it comes from. I bought a small bag of Holistic Select lamb, but he HATES it. I just put a little in to use it up and he will eat it mixed with his other dry food. I was looking at Nutrisource lamb and rice or Merrick lamb LID or Natures Variety. If anyone has used these foods or has any comment on it I would appreciate it.

#128554 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi,
    when I read Victors ingredients years ago I thought the same thing “YUK” Blood Meal” but when you think about it Victor is just writing what is in our dry kibble “blood & Bone”..
    When you see a kibble being made you see all the blood meat etc all swirling around & when this is all dried up its a blood meal… So all dry dog foods would have Blood in them..YUK

I just goggled “Video of a kibble being made”
    & look what I found its awful….this is why pentobarbital was found in dog foods..

“D & D Disposal
    West Coast Rendering
    Veron California April 2007
    Stop at 4.10mins, look bottom left look at the white bag, it starts moving the dog is alive..
    This is “why I hate” feeding a dry Kibble but Patch regurgites all wet foods 🙁

Yeah the Holistic Select mustn’t smell too great, Patch wasnt really happy eating it..
    When I read posts on F/B I belong to a few IBD & skin allergies groups, a few dogs do well on Merrick LID formula’s…. take back the Holistic Select in 1 week & swap for a LID formula, go when a nice person is serving, normally the younger ones don’t care when I return food.. its the older ladies that ask questions.. You will find the right dog food for your boy hat helps stomach/bowel & skin, you just have to try a few different kibbles, look when Specials are on or when foods are reduced cause use by dates are close, I just paid 1/2 price for Wellness Simple Turkey & Potato, so I got 2 bags for the price of 1 bag, thats not bad & Patches allergies are doing heaps better….

#128555 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Thanks Susan so much for taking the time to help me. I will try the Merrick and see how it goes.

#128613 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi Susan, I decided to try Holistic Select first, it is the lamb and oatmeal. Well anyway I put a little bit in his food the first 3 days than a little more. The out come is he don’t like it, but just by mixing the dry food with his other dry food I already see improvement like , not licking his bottom so maybe it is the pro and prebiotics in this food that is helping? But I can’t continue it b/c he hates it. It does smell weird. Well now I am thinking about Nutrisource lamb and rice since it is almost similar ingredients and maybe he will like it better. What do you think?

#128617 Report Abuse
    Arlene L
    #128619 Report Abuse
    Hanna D
    Participant

I have a cocker spaniel that is allergic to wheat, flaxseed, milk and beef. I have golden retriever with anal gland issues.They are eating Acana now but it is making there poop soft. Looking for recommendations

#128622 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hanna how about Anameat? they have chicken and rice I don’t think it has flaxseed in it.
    I am looking to for new food. My dog is having anal gland issues too. My vet seems to think it is b/c of soft stools and or allergy. That’s why I am switching too. Nutrisource I heard is good but not sure about the flax. Are you switching to grain in? I myself want peoples opinion on Nutrisource. Hope someone else can help you too.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by joanne l.
    #128883 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Did anyone ever have dry dog food that smells like paint?? I am just starting to use holistic select lamb and it smells like paint of some sort.

#128898 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi,
    is this the same Holistic Select Lamb formula you bought about 1-2 weeks ago & he didnt really want to eat it??
    I would take it back, or email Holistic Select & ask them why does it have a paint smell?? they might send you out a voucher or something??
    I’ve feed Patch “Holistic Select Salmon, Anchovy, Sardine Meal Puppy/Adult grain free” & “Holistic Select Chicken Meal & Rice Senior” old formula years ago they never smelt of paint, they smelt like a dry dog food, even their Salmon, Sardine & Anchovy Meal kibble didn’t smell of fish which I liked as some kibbles stick bad of fish, if he doesnt want to eat it listen to him..
    I know Holistic Select add alot of Pro & Pre -biotics but they don’t smell like paint..

The other day 1pm I got Patches Wellness Simple Turkey Meal & Potato 11.8kg bag thru postage, Pet Barn shop doesnt have the Wellness Simple bigger bags you have to buy online, when the post van pulled up I went outside it was a very HOT day, when the mail man handed me the Wellness bag it was hot like it had been sitting in the sun, I said to the mail man isnt your van Air con, he said yes but Im opening the back door all the time, I thought this kibble oils will go rancid, so I rung up Pet barn & asked will this bag of Wellness Simple be off, it came in a very hot plastic bag, they put me on hold then came back the lady said I can take it to a Pet Barn store & get another 1, I said Pet Barn stores don’t sell the bigger Wellness Simple bags, she said it will be OK…I didnt open it till this morning, its smelt OK like the other Wellness 2kg bags I tried, Patch ate it but Patch eats everything the nut.. I gave the cat 2 kibbles she ate them & she is fussy so I thought OK its alright I hope its OK..
    Then we wonder why are our dogs are sick for no reason??..We dont know what happens to the bags of kibble or wet can foods after they leave the Pet Food company after they are made??

#128906 Report Abuse
    joanne l

HI Susan, yes it is the one from a week or so ago. Usually if I wouldn’t feed it, but I even tried a sample bag of Nutrisource and he won’t eat that either. So I mix the Purina and holistic select and he will eat it b/c it is mixed. I been watching his stools and the way he acts. So far his stools are better and he is not vomiting so maybe it is okay? I think he is so used to Purina that I would have to find something that beats Purina in taste. He is not licking his bottom hardly so I am convinced it maybe the Purina causing anal issues. So, do you think since he is not sick than it is okay? I bought a 4lb bag and only have 1 1/2 cups left. So he ate most of it mixed I don’t know if he would be willing to eat it straight up without the Purina in it. If he doesn’t I will have to find another food. The one I was looking at is called Health Extensions it looks pretty good they sell it on chewy, but not in any stores near me. Let me know what you think about this food and about the holistic select is okay considering what I mentioned him eating most of it. Thank you much!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by joanne l.
    #128915 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Joanne,
    is this the Holistic Select Lamb Meal & Rice formula he’s eating?
    https://www.holisticselect.com.au/dog/adult-health-lamb-meal-recipe
    its the only Holistic Select formula that has Lamb…
    Holistic Select have changed all their formula’s, they have stopped making a few of their grain formula’s & made them grain free now, but they’re high in Legumes…

Purina, Hills & Royal Canine spray their dry foods right at the end of being made, this makes the kibble more tasty & smell delicious so the dog eats them, where Holitic Select spray their probiotics & Vonn probably not use to this smell, in time he’s get use to the weird smell…
    I’d buy either tin tuna or tin Salmon in spring water, I drain the spring water out then I put fish in container, I mix in some boil sweet potato pieces mash & mix & feed for lunch, I have to mix in Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM joint powder now with Patches meal for his hip.. 🙁
    I bet he’ll love the Holistic Select Lamb kibbles or another dry food that he won’t eat, after you add the tuna or salmom, the tuna or salmon is very small so after you mash he fish it sticks to the kibbles, so when he goes to lick the fish up he licks up the whole kibbles….

There’s the Holistic Select Large/Giant Breed Adult formula, I like it cause it has Pork Meal in it, alot of dry dog foods are adding Fish Meal further down te ingredient list, I prefer Pork Meal + Patch does really well on Pork…
    These are the Ingredients in Holitsic Select Large/Giant Breed Formula no Barley.
    Chicken Meal, Rice, Oatmeal, Oats, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Pork Meal, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Pumpkin, Cranberries, Apples, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Papayas, Choline Chloride, Blueberries, Pomegranates, Vitamin E
    https://www.holisticselect.com.au/dog/large-giant-breed-adult-health.

Wellness have a new “grain” dry kibble called Wellness “Healthy Balance”
    I bought a small bag of the “Healthy Balance Adult Chicken” formula cause it has Pork Meal 2nd ingredient..
    Chicken Meal, Pork Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley, Rice, Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Brewers Dried Yeast, Ground Flaxseed, Dried Tomato Pomace, Salmon Oil,
    I didn’t see the word “BARLEY” aaaarrrrrrrhhhhhh, I just saw “NEW”, Pork Meal & Cheap lol
    Patch loves it, I have to add 1/3 cup new & mix with 3/4 cup Wellness Simple Turkey & Potato formula to keep his poos firm & to stop him scratching himself after he eats the Wellness Healthy balance kibble, he’s definitely sensitive to Barley, he started his bum surfing on the carpet again, lucky I only got the small bag..

Scroll down the “Healthy Balance” is down the bottom
    https://wellnesspetfood.com.au/dog-wellness/dry-recipes/
    these are the only Wellness products we get now, Wellness is only sold thru Pet Barn no one else sells Wellness so Pet Barn must have some deal with Wellness..

Have you tried any new Chicken formula’s again?
    there’s so many dry foods that have Chicken that would probably agree with him, there’s “Eagle Pack” Large/Giant Breed formula & Lamb Meal & Brown Rice looks good but Eagle Pack uses barley…
    http://www.eaglepack.com/product-orignal-dog.aspx?product=83#.XCgzC_ZuI5s

I would try a chicken formula again it was probably something wrong with the Purina Pro Plan or an ingredient didn’t agree with him or he might have just been unwell at that time & had problems with the chicken Pro Plan formula?..

#128917 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi Susan, I know what you mean. Purina does use tasty spraying because it does smell good. And your right he is not used to these other foods. I want to try chicken again but I am afraid. You maybe right it probably was the Purina chicken that made him sick because I just talked to a neighbor that feeds Purina Lamb and than tried the chicken and his dog got mushy stools. His dog doesn’t even have a sensitive stomach so I think that it could of been the problem with Purina chicken. I am giving him castor and pollack “chicken” treats and he is fine also, this food is USDA certified organic and the treats are too. Maybe my dog needs the highest quality of chicken for him to accept it. I do give him fresh chicken and he is fine. The price of the castor and pollock food is 79.00 for I think a 20lb bag, so you know by the price it is good chicken and good quality ingredients. I know it is expensive but in order to make USDA certified food it cost money, if it were cheap than I won’t trust it. I hope he can eat a dog food with chicken in it, because I think he would like it better. I may try this food, and again I am still nerves about chicken in dog food. Also I did try Fromm’s chicken and he was fine for a week than mushy stools so I don’t know what to think that is why I am afraid to try chicken.

#128943 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Joanne,
    its probably not the Chicken in the Fromm Chicken formula that made poos mushy, there probably was too much soluble fiber or too many ingredients that insoluble fiber???
    Fromm is known to have a heap of different ingredients in their formula’s, he probably wasn’t use to something, if he can eat cooked chicken, its not the chicken, you probably have just been picking the wrong chicken kibbles…

Kibbles with Chicken & Turkey are the cleanest meats this is probably why Patch is doing well since staying on Wellness kibbles that are Chicken & Turkey he’s not reacting after 2-3 months when I feed him same formula, before I had to keep rotating his kibbles every 2-3 months before but since on Wellness formula’s he’s been OK maybe its the probiotics??…

If you have a Victor store near you i’d try “Victor Select Protein Chicken Meal” formula it doesnt have the Blood meal in it no more??? Looks like Victor has change some of their formula’s??…
    The Victor Prairie Land, Lamb Meal, Sweet Potato G/F formula & the Ultra Pro G/F formula’s have the blood meal probably to make it more appealing to dog or cause there’s red meats & they have blood meal??
    https://victorpetfood.com/products/chicken-meal-brown-rice-formula
    See if you can get a sample Victor Select Protein Chicken meal formula ..

#129805 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi I would like peoples input on pet fresh dog food, the log form one. I want to try it, so I can switch up with can food.

#129809 Report Abuse
    Sanne

I fed those Freshpet logs while on a trip. I wanted something easy on the stomach since my dogs were getting quite a sudden switch. I picked one of the chicken and brown rice rolls. My dogs LOVED that stuff and poeps were small and firm. Never any digestive upset and one of mine tends to be very sensitive.

I really like the idea behind it, a fresh less processed food and price was not ridiculous for what you get. The ingredients were nice and simple too – meat, some organ, egg, rice and veggies. That was what drew me to it, I like simple for my dogs. I honestly can’t think of anything that would steer me away from it if it were available here.

#129810 Report Abuse
    joanne l

thank you I will try it.

#129888 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

In Australia we have the dog rolls in the fridge section at Supermaket & Pet Shops, the pet shops are probably better quality, Patch loved them but the fat is too high for him, they’re 7% to 8% fat, when you convert to dry matter that’s around 35-45% fat, he gets his acid reflux..
    I’d rather feed the rolls then dry kibble..or I fed the chopped up roll for dinner & feed the dry kibble for breakfast….

I’ve read good things about Fresh Pet Rolls especially when the dog has Stomach/bowel problems.
    The Fresh Pet Vital look better have more variety then the Fresh Pet Select rolls..
    Just make sure you smell the roll before using after opening the roll as they can go off quickly when no preservitives are added but thats good it shows ingredients are fresh like human foods..
    https://freshpet.com/dog/vital/

#129910 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Susan, I called the company about Holistic Select concerning the smell. They were very helpful they mailed me something to put some of the kibble in so they can test it. Well anyway they got back to me and said you are right it did smell off. They told me air could have gotten in the back so it started to oxidize. She said it would not harm the dog, but told me to get another bag and gave me a 10 off coupon. So I did get another bag and it smelled fine. However, my dog been eating it and he seems to being doing okay but he just don’t like it. In the meantime I want a food back up and I was looking at Victor, which I know you mentioned before and or health extensions, that also looks good. I would like to know if anyone had experience with Victor dog food? It is reasonable, price wise, hope it is good quality.
    P.S. Thanks for responding about Pet Fresh, I would give him that with the dry food.

#129915 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi,
    yes a few posters on DFA I dont see them post on here anymore, feed Victor dog food…
    Pitlove has a dog who has sensitive stomach & allergies, her dog does really well on Victor grain formula, her dog Bentley didn’t do well on the grain free formula’s but I dont know which Victor formula he ate, it might have been 1 of the Victor Select formula’s ??

Have you tried “Aldis Pure Being” Head to Tail Chicken & Brown Rice ? it looks good aswell, also Wellpet make the Wellness Simple Lamb & Oats no barley in it..

#129982 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Update on Vonn’s food: I am still using the Holistic Select lamb and he is fine, I just bought another bag and the kibble is so small, like puppy food. So chewy sent me out another bag to replace it. I feed it until I got the replacement one. In the past I experience issues with inconsistent food and every time the dog got sloppy poop. Now here we go again with different kibble, but so far his stools are not bad, but I only gave it to him 2 days. My question is does anyone experience inconsistent food?? If so believe me get another bag. I think every company has this problem. But anyway, I am thinking that they put puppy food in the bag by mistake when they were making it. Other wise I don’t know what happens.

#130008 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Joanne,
    Wellness Core, Wellness Simple & Wellness Complete Health & Canidae have all been the same shape, size, colour & smell, I havent had a change yet with these brands…
    I did get different kibble size, smell & colour with TOTW, Earthborn Holistic & a few Australian brands & Patches did his smelly farts & had soft poos for 5-7 days then he was back to normal after 1 week….

Say you get another Holistic Select Lamb kibble bag & the kibbles are small aswell??
    Have you taken photo & send to Holistic Select & ask why has the kibble size changed?? is this how the kibble will be?? I think they do the small small kibble size so small breeds can also eat those formula’s aswell, alot of small dog owners whinge when the kibble size is big, Wellness Core Large Breed Adult Kibbles size is big the Wellness Simple is just a little bit smaller, I like the med/large triangle size kibble cause Patch chews them, the small kibbles are suppose to be easier to digest……
    I’d ring Chewy back & ask has your order gone out can you change it & get a different brand food Vonn wasnt really keen on the Holistic Select in the beginning & he might do better on another kibble?? I had to try heaps of different brands till I finally found a few brands that agree with Patch & I liked them aswell lol..

#130012 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi Susan, I did call holistic select and they want me to send them some of the food so they can test and see it. They were very nice about it. And chewy did send me another bag. So I think I am going to change brand. Right now it seems to be okay, even with the smaller kibble. So maybe if it is the puppy formula it is the lamb one. But I need a kibble to be consistent. So maybe I will try the wellness simple or I was looking at Health extensions it looks good and I think in the past I got samples of it and Vonn liked it. But at the time I wasn’t ready to change foods. I don’t think you have that one were you live, but you can review it on chewy’s website. Thank you for taking time to help me.

#130097 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Did anyone hear or use health extension dog food?? It looks good chewy sells it. I am looking for a back up food for him. I am thinking of this food or Victors. I know Victor’s is good from what I hear from you guys, but health extensions no one ever really talked about this brand. Just trying to find out if anyone ever used it. The ingredients look great. Oh and their grain free doesn’t not have too many legumes either. But I would still use grain in.

#130099 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Joanne, did you read the view for Health Extension?

#130104 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I read chewy’s reviews from customers and they love it. Sometimes I read the dog food advisor one, but they get confusing, plus some people nit pick on the company for other reasons and not the food. So I read the reviews on websites that sell it and see what people think about it. I am more concerned about the product than getting personal with the company if that makes any sense.

#130233 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I am degusted right now, since Vonn HATED the holistic select food I bought Health extensions lamb and guess what he doesn’t like that either. He was never picky until he ate Purina. He loves Purina but I think that was causing anal gland issues because when I stopped it he stopped licking at his rear. Now I am at a loss. Before Holistic Select I tried merrick and he hated that too. So what he is doing now is he will not eat breakfast but he will eat dinner b/c by then his is hungry. Help! I can’t keep buying foods and bringing them back I am tired plus I hate to see food go to waste when dogs are starving out there.

#130248 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Joanne-
    Which Purina formula were you feeding? How long did you give it before switching? Do you know what the fiber percentage was? I was thinking that maybe choosing a Purina formula with a different fiber level may help. My two do better with a little higher fiber around 5 or 6 percent.

Also, you need to give a food a good six to eight weeks before you know how your dog is doing on it. Unless, of course it is causing serious vomiting or diarrhea.

Have you talked to your veterinarian? Some recommend feeding a gastrointestinal RX food until their tummy gets settled down and then slowly switching to an over the counter food. I hope you find something that works. Sounds stressful.

Good luck!

#130271 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi Crazy4cats, I was feeding pro plan lamb and oatmeal S.S. one for 3 months. The fiber is 4%. I think sometimes he does better with less fiber, like 3% that I have seen. If I go up in the fiber more stools come out and he is hungry all the time. So like I mentioned he has been on Lamb and oatmeal sensitive skin and stomach one for 3 months. After eating it for a month he started licking his rear. I can’t fully say if it is the food or not. But he has not been licking at his rear like he was. Occasionally he will do it. Another thing is when I add probiotics it seems to help a lot. But right now I need to find something he enjoys, I would love to give him his Purina back but I am not sure. I can’t use anything with chicken in it or turkey. Plus I have tried the beef one but it is the savor pro plan with those rubbery feeling pieces in it and he threw up after eating so I am at a lose with Purina. I don’t like the Savor I only like the Focus ones, but they don’t have many choices with that one. Thanks for your concern.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by joanne l.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.