🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Shawna

This topic came up on the Blog side of DFA and I thought I’d post my comment here as well.

Dogs actually have no dietary requirement for carbohydrates. I think they can derive a lot of benefit from fruits and veggies don’t get me wrong. In our chemical laden, toxic environment I think the antioxidants and nutrients in fruits and veggies are VERY helpful. But they are not required. This is info that has been stated in the teaching books like Waltham and sited by vets. Also, if you look at the AAFCO’s nutrient requirements for complete and balanced diets it shows a minimum protein amount in the adult dog to be 18% and the minimum fat amount to be 5%. There is no minimum amount for carbs.

There are complete and balanced canned foods out that have no veggies, fruits or grains added. Merrick Before Grain canned foods are one example. They are complete and balanced but have no grains, fruits or veggies http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/…

#14260 Report Abuse
    clea11
    Participant

What about a diabetic dog??? My Clea has been diabetic for about 3 years. She is a very fiancee eater. I have tried the best!!!! I started boiling chicken, rice, green beans…Along with little Ol”Roy…She is on Novolin 3 cc’s in morning after she eats and same at dinner time. Recently when i took her into the vet…Her glucose level was 520!!!!!! Ekkkkkkk…..He filled her with some fluids…..She was also vomiting……..She would not eat…….As of Feb 16th…..She ate breakfast….2 containers of little Ol’ Roy…grilled chicken flavor….Tried to add some boiled chicken..but she spit that out…..Wondering….if this particular dog food is appropriate to give to a diabetic dog…….I have asked the vet….And he said low carb’s…….low fat…….However, when i tried the more expensive food……She didn’t want anything to do with it……….Very confused, and Very worried at this point….She is 13 yrs. old…. Thank You…..Lorry.

#14294 Report Abuse
    BryanV21
    Participant

Dump the Ol’ Roy. Corn is it’s main ingredient and corn is high on the glycemic index, meaning it can raise your dog’s blood sugar levels, which I’m sure you know is not good for a diabetic dog. Besides that there’s not a single ingredient in Ol Roy that makes me say “well that’s a good one”.

A popular dry food we recommend is Solid Gold Holistique Blendz, as it’s low protein/low fat food that isn’t full of corn, soy, by-product, or generically named meats/meals.

Some people believe that even a diabetic dog should have a high QUALITY protein diet, that is also low in carbs, but I’ll let our raw food feeders cover the benefits of that one since I’m not as familiar with the subject.

#14398 Report Abuse
    clea11
    Participant

Thank you, for your response.!!!!! I have never heard of the above food…Is this something that can be found at Pet-Smart, or any local grocery store???? Right now I have her on boiled ground beef…Rice..Green beans mix…….Also she loves Little Cesar…

#14405 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi clea11 –

I wouldn’t feed Solid Gold Holistique Blends to a diabetic dog (or any dog for that matter) – it’s WAY to high in carbohydrates and very low in protein. If you check out the “Diet and Diabetes” topic James Bailey has a lot of great food suggestions for diabetic dogs: /forums/topic/diet-and-diabetes/ – you want something low in carbohydrates and low glycemic.

#14406 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi clea11 –

(sorry if this post shows up twice, my first disappeared)

I wouldn’t feed Solid Gold Holistique Blends to a diabetic dog (or any dog for that matter) it’s WAY too high in carbohydrates and very low in protein. You want a high protein/low glycemic food. If you check out the thread titled “Diet and Diabetes” in the Diet and Health issues topic area James Bailey has posted a lot of great suggestions of appropriate foods for diabetic dogs.

#14407 Report Abuse
    clea11
    Participant

Thank You Hound Dog Mom…..Seeing that i’m not quite used to this as of yet…….Where do I find that topic?????????? I love your pic!!!!!!!! I was trying to put my Clea up…..And for some reason it won’t let me!!

#14409 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Click the “Forums” tab on the red bar at the top of the screen. This will bring you to the forums homepage. Diet and Health issues is the third forum down, click that. Diet and Diabetes is the sixth topic down. I’d just post a direct link to the topic, but everytime I post a link my comment goes to the spam folder for some reason.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.