Diamond Premium Adult 4 stars?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Diamond Premium Adult 4 stars?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tyler S

I would really like to know what earned this dog food 4 stars.

#113522 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

/frequently-asked-questions/rate-dog-food/

Check out the link above to find out how the food is rated on this site.

#113525 Report Abuse
    Tyler S

Thank you, but I was hoping someone from dog food advisor could comment specifically on this dog food. It is actually the reason I signed up for this. This food has been given 4 stars – the same grade as some of the editor’s picks and other well thought of and most expensive foods on the market – despite the fact that the second and third ingredients are ground corn and wheat flour. What is it about this dog food that makes it a good dog food despite these things? I really think that this dog food should’ve been reviewed instead of the diamond maintenance, which caused diamond dry dog food to be given an overall rating of 3.5 when the majority of the products are four stars. I am interested in understanding why this is, because when taking into consideration how much of this particular food costs, one could come to the conclusion that this is the best dog food FOR THE MONEY on the market.

#113529 Report Abuse
    Bazuhi

Hmmmm
    I wouldn’t think corn ingrediant would make it to a 4 star
    food myself

#113530 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

As long as they use grade 1 or 2 corn, I don’t think it is any worse than any other carb used in dog food. In fact my dogs do pretty well with it. It is also the quality of the ingredients that are really important. Unfortunately, that is tough to tell from an ingredient label. Not all corn is created equal. Same as not all chicken meal or any other ingredient for that matter. You have to look into the company that makes it.

That’s what this site has done with their Editor’s Choice Section. They have checked out and approve them as a reputable company that uses quality ingredients.

You can use the extensive amount of information on this site to rate the food however you want. They have come up with a formula and use the exact same one on every food using only the ingredient panel provided by the company. In my opinion, I think that is really the only fair way of doing it.

Hope this helps.

#113533 Report Abuse

Every review on our website includes an exact and detailed explanation for how we arrived at a particular star rating.

Corn is not a toxic ingredient. Many good dog foods contain some corn. It’s only considered “controversial” because different people have different opinions about it. That’s all. Nothing to worry about.

If you’re wondering WHY Diamond Premium isn’t an Editor’s Choice dog food…

I actually like Diamond products. They produce some of the very best value foods on the market… Diamond brand, Kirkland (Costco), Taste of the Wild and many others, to name a few.

Please keep in mind that currently, there are more than 340 dog foods rated 4 stars or higher on our website. And each one contains (on average) about 4-5 individual products (flavors).

However, by design, Editor’s Choice includes a much smaller selection. Currently, just 73 brands and sub-brands and about 140 suggested products. Having a smaller number to pick from is one of the very best benefits of being a member.

By the way, these numbers can vary from month to month as we add and remove various selections.

There are many reasons a particular brand may not be included on our lists.

For example, in most cases, a company may not have met all our published guidelines. Or more rarely, its agents may have been unwilling to reveal important manufacturing information.

Or we may be aware of unfavorable information about a company that we cannot share publicly (for liability reasons).

Or we may have received tips from industry insiders that disqualify certain brands from inclusion on our lists.

In any case, you should be able to find a more detailed answer to your question and many others on our Editor’s Choice FAQ page as well as our How We Rate Dog Foods FAQ page, too.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.