šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jakes mom

I have a friend whose Chihuahua/border terrier has just been diagnosed with diabetes. There’s also another chi in the house who’s had issues with pancreatitis. Can anyone suggest a good food for them both? Budget is a very big concern. I’m sure raw is not an option, both because of the cost and also the “yuk” factor for the humans. I’m thinking something in the 3 star range, since they eat Purina now.

#55189 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

They shouldn’t be eating the same food. The diabetic needs low carb food. And the pancreatitis dog needs low fat food. All that leaves is high protein, which is expensive. The Honest Kitchen Zeal is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. If they ate separate foods then she could find a low carb for one and a low fat for the other. The low carb one would likely cost more, but only one dog would be eating it.

#55203 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Yeah,Patty, that’s what I thought, I was hoping there was something kind of in between that would work for both. That would make things easier with just one food.They are eating Purina Fit and Healthy or something like that. Low enough fat for the dog with pancreatitis I guess, and I was surprised that the vet didn’t recommend a low carb food, but she didn’t. I was hoping to use this diagnosis to gently point them toward a better food but if the vet isn’t recommending a change I don’t know what I can do.

#55210 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

So many times, vets treat symptoms, but don’t go after the cause. It’s like they are blind to this whole huge area.

#55262 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Having a dog with diabetes isn’t cheap, unfortunately. If food cost is an issue, can your friend afford to care for the dog? Sorry to have to ask…

#55305 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

She’ll have to skimp on something else, but she loves this dog. Worse comes to worse, I’ll take him.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.