🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 1,489 total)
  • Author
    Bobby dog

Jakes mom:
    That is awsome, a little patience right? I will be making a grocery store run soon so Bobby will have some of his own chicken backs to chew on! I hope it goes as well for him as it did for Jake. By the way, you are going to be good to go for the ABC day or multiple days (whatever you choose to do) when you do get a chance to download the PDF. 🙂 Positive thoughts being sent to you guys for the Vet visit.

Sharon:
    I did try the Halo chicken with the same results. I will buy it again even if only one cat eats it, it’s a good food and the more variety the better. My cats only liked the pork Instinct. I agree there are always some chicken shreds left in the bowl from Soulistic, Weruva, Against the Grain, and Tiki cat foods. I keep them in my rotation (when there are sales!) for variety though.

I am glad to hear your little guy is better! Hopefully it is just a sensitive tummy. 🙂

Akari:
    I am checking out those foods now. I will post again in a little while.

#40407 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Let me know what you turn up Bobby dog!

I posted this picture on Facebook this morning, to which mom promptly replied “Kill it” LOL

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/IMG_0961_zpsa2f62b75.jpg

#40409 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I looked at the chicken & turkey Simply Nourish Source and EVO Turkey & Chicken Formula. Before I realized EVO lists carbs on their website I did my own calculations and came up with 10% carbs, they list max carbs of 12%; I wasn’t too far off. lol If I did my calculations right, Nourish has approximately 24% carbs. I believe your main concern is carbs and EVO wins for lower carbs. EVO has 10% more protein, 2% more fat, and 3% less fiber (good or bad depending on Kitty). EVO contains some fish, Herring is the 6th ingredient and Salmon meal is the 8th ingredient. EVO also contains a prebiotic (chicory root) and probiotics and Nourish just chicory root.
    First five ingredients:
    ~ EVO – turkey, chicken, chicken meal, tapioca starch & chicken fat
    50% protein, 22% fat, 2.5% fiber
    ~ Nourish – chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, dried potatoes & dried peas
    40% protein, 18% fat, 5.5% fiber
    I would say EVO is a better recipe, but Simply Nourish is nothing to sneeze at! Not sure, other than carbs, what you look for in dry cat food, but this is pretty much what I take into consideration for kibble. That’s my critique of the two! 😉

#40410 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Awwwwww, that’s what my cat Pauly does at the Vet’s office. Did you see him up there right away or did you get the feeling you were being watched and found him looking back at you unexpectedly?

#40411 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’m currently using the Rabbit and Chicken Simply Nourish Source. It has some fish in it, too, but its way far down. http://www.petsmart.com/food-health/dry-food/simply-nourish-source-adult-cat-food-zid36-20985/cat-36-catid-200028?var_id=36-20985&_t=pfm%3Dsearch

I remember why I shied away from EVO. Do you think that the fish that “high” would pose any problems? Especially considering that he only gets half the recommended amount because I mix dry and canned. 24% is a bit high for me, even though he only gets half! I didn’t realize that Source was that high in carbs o.o’

I heard him being bad in the kitchen, and was looking on the counter for him. He wasn’t I looked further up, since mom said she saw him on the fridge yesterday, and there he was, just sittin’ up there, checkin’ me out. I had to laugh, and go get my phone for a picture. Then I squirted him right in the face >=D He didn’t like that much lol

#40412 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Bobby dog-
    I’m glad you are a little jealous of my new Trader Joes. Now you know how I feel when you guys all talk about the 4health canned cat and dog food at your dumb Tractor Supply stores. Lol!
    I read in one of the above posts about someone’s cats not eating the shredded chicken in foods like Soulistic. Mine won’t either. Dang it. I was excited that it looked like a healthier food at a good price and they won’t eat it. Is there anything similar where the meat is more chopped than shredded that anyone has had luck with? I’d like to find something other than Pâté. Have a good night all!

#40413 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

When ever I’m feeding two different brands or flavors of foods, I mix them together. I don’t give him the option to snub foods lol Have you tried that?

#40414 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I love it when I hear any of my guys rummaging around up to shenanigans! I love catching them in the act, it makes me laugh too!

You should probably double check my calculations. I used the DFA’s carb formula and I also ran it through the carb calculator, same answers both times but I am not a math wiz. Lol

If it was me, the deciding factor would be how often I feed it. If I was going to feed one kibble with no rotation, I would not feed anything with fish; if it was part of a rotation I would consider feeding it. But, that’s just my crazy thought process! 🙂

#40420 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Where’d you find the carb formula at?

I do want to rotate kibbles, but I apparently can’t seem to find a good, cheap one that doesn’t have fish in it. I’ll look at the Wellness COREs again and see if any pique my interest, as well as going through the websites for the stores around here and seeing what they have. I probably won’t even use kibble all the time, anyways, just every now and then to stretch out the canned.

#40459 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Akari:
    I have Wellness Core, Merrick GF chicken, and Innova Nature’s Table in my rotation. As I wrote earlier I am going to look into something to replace Innova since Mar’s will be buying them out, I think at the end of the year. I know recalls will happen and no company is immediately out of consideration because of them, but how they handle them is important.

Merrick and Innova go on sale here and there (nothing spectacular) and of course I use coupons for Wellness. If I fed a large amount of kibble to my cats I could not feed these brands due to the prices. For budget purposes maybe you need to tweek your criteria regarding kibble for now (as long as Kitty does well) and if a food is in your price range that has some fish in the recipe and meets all of your other criterias, consider it for your rotation. Then, keep looking for other options without fish.

Wellness Turkey & Duck does not have fish meal and I believe (not positive) that the indoor chicken formula does not, the kitten has it and I am not sure about the regular chicken.

I do have a list of several dry foods that don’t have fish meal but I have not looked into them as far as carbs, price etc. If you would like me to share them with you I will post them; it’s a starting point if nothing else.

Here’s the DFA link to the carb formula. It is just a subtraction formula, pretty simple. To be accurate you would have to call a company and ask for “as fed” % and also the true ash %. You might want to try contacting Simply Nourish and ask for as fed %’s & ash %’s for their recipes before you rule them out.

/choosing-dog-food/dog-food-carbohydrate-content/

C4c:
    Now I know how it feels, walk a mile in someone’s shoes isn’t that how the saying goes? I guess I’ll be jealous of your TJ’s and you can be jealous of my TSC and we can call it even. lol 😉

#40460 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Akari-
    I also love when I find my cats in unexpected places. It always makes me smile. Except for the time when one of my cats had her head stuck in the spindles on our chair. And oh yes, or the time when she (same cat) got herself stuck in a mouse trap. LOL! Good thing she has 9 lives. Now about kibble, have you tried Earthborn? I’ve used both their with grain and without with success. Oops, I think there may be fish in those too. I don’t worry about it too much if it’s down on the ingredient label. Wellness Core turkey and duck formula does not contain fish, but it is expensive. I’m going to try Merrick Healthy weight next and it does not contain fish, but also not cheap. Good luck!

#40465 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    I forgot to add a comment about the chicken shreds. My cats do love those recipes and there is not alot of shreds left when they are done eating just some. I just think they get tired of trying to get every last morsel. When I feed them later (always a different food) I just mix the few shreds that may be left over into the pate’. I would probably feel it was wastefull to feed those foods if that was the only food I fed. Since it isn’t I just consider it another flavor/variety for the rotation that they will actually eat. lol

#40466 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Maybe I’ll give the shredded chicken another shot. It just looks so much more real and natural than the pate stuff they love. If they don’t eat, I will mix in with pate then and see what happens. But, it’s usually about 11 or 12 hours later. I feed them at about 4 am when I get up for work and then again at 3 or 4pm when I get home. Do you think it still would be OK? I think I might get them more interested. Thanks!

#40480 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    That’s why I love feeding it, it is in more of a natural form and my cats really do enjoy it.

I don’t worry about leftovers even if it is 12 hours before they are fed again. For me it depends on the weather and seasons.

I feed them in my basement in the winter and summer (there’s a cat door); that’s their preference as well. Since the basement is cool I am comfortable with the food being left in the bowl for that long and mixing what is left over (if any) to their dinner.

In the fall and spring they like eating on the porch so what I feed during these seasons depends on the temperature. If it’s still cool I don’t mind leftovers. When it’s hot I don’t want any left overs so for breakfast I feed what I know they will eat. Sometimes I can feed three times a day depending on my schedule, but I still don’t want any left overs during hot days because it may get rancid. In the evening if there are any left overs I cover the dish in a plastic bag and stick it in the fridge to feed in the morning.

Those are my deciding factors. You could always save the shreds just for the days you are home too. Eating shredded chicken a few days a week may be enough of a variety for them! 🙂

#40481 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

If you have a Whole Foods near by, they have a new pet food line out called Whole Paws and in it they have some “shreds and gravy” that are sort of like the general type of food consistency that the Friskies shreds and gravy is except the Whole Paws is made out of all healthy ingredients. My cats really liked it, but it triggered projectile vomiting in Aaron. He hasn’t puked at all since I haven’t mixed any Orijen kibble into their food. I mean, I was only mixing it in for a day, and I fed them some by hand initially to see if they liked it, but it did coincide pretty much EXACTLY to when I had the vomiting problem with him, and this has happened with other canned foods, for example the Whole Paws, that goes away when I stop feeding the offending food it seems like

#40483 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Bobby, if you wouldn’t mind, I’d love that list! It seems like every dry food I find that has high protein and low carbs has fish in it. Is it too much to ask for a good food with no fish?? D:

And thanks for the link! That does the same thing as this:

http://www.scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html

Only you have to actually do the math, right?

I looked at the Wellness CORE foods again, and they all have fish, or seem too carby. I’m pretty limited to whatever company puts out coupons, but I’m open to ideas. Earthborn is like gold, here, so I’m good on that LOL I’ll look at Merick and around on websites and see what I find.

#40486 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Akari:
    Yes, the DFA carb formula is the same as the carb calc, I just like double checking.

Contact Simply Nourish and get exact amounts though, because it really could make a difference; especially with how you intend to feed dry. And if it ends up meeting your criteria, it is one more budget friendly dry food to add to your list.

Remember, this is a list I started and never completed (as with so many things I start haha) so I don’t know the carbs & prices. So basically it is a list of dry GF cat food without fish and %’s of protein, fat & fiber. Here it is:

Dry Food:
    Wellness Core GF Turkey & Duck 38, 18, 6
    Merrick Purrfect Bistro GF Chicken 40, 14, 5
    Merrick Purrfect Bistro Healthy GF Chic 38.5, 11, 7
    Nature’s Variety Instinct GF LID Turkey 35, 18, 3.5
    Precise Holistic Complete GF – Turkey & Chicken 38, 20, 3
    Precise Holistic Naturals GF – Chicken 38, 20, 3
    Simply Nourish (Petsmart) GF Chicken 36, 16, 5.5

Sold to Mars end of 2014:
    California Natural GF Chicken Cat & Kitten 42, 16, 3
    Innova Nat Table GF Chic & Turkey 42, 20, 3.5

#40499 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Akari, great picture! He’s adorable!
    Bobby dog, thanks for the good wishes for Benjamin, he’s home, everything went fine. He’s sitting beside me, sulking. lol! Jake had a frozen chick back after our walk this evening, it was warm out and he was panting pretty good so thought that would be a nice cool treat. He gave me a puzzled look but then started chewing pretty quickly.
    My cats love the Merrick Purrfect Bistro chicken, haven’t tried any of the others, thanks for the list.

#40506 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Jakes’s mom-
    Glad Benjamin is doing well. Is he a dog or cat?

#40510 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Jakes mom:
    Glad everything is okay, sulking is good! Jake is a chicken back eating machine!! 😉 Bobby didn’t want to go outside today for a walk because it is cold, rainy, and windy. He said he is much too delicate for this weather! lol

Akari:
    I think you have a tall order to fill. I was just tooling around the Internet to check out GF, no fish, low carb dry cat food and I don’t think there are any; well there are a few. The few I found with the lowest carbs are California Nat’l, EVO, Solid Gold (forget which one), and some Vet formulas.

They aren’t the most budget friendly, but they might not break the bank either with a reduced feeding schedule.

What carb % are you looking for? You might have to change your criteria a little bit in regards to fish and carb %’s.

#40651 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I don’t really know what I’m looking for exactly. Just as low carbs as possible plus high protein and no/extremely low fish. I know the higher the protein, the less carbs it’ll have (basically).

I did see the Merrick Bistro whatever. Looks alright. It’s expensive, though, so it’s on the maybe list :p

#40653 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

That’s good Akari, I got frustrated looking for something as low as EVO and it isn’t even for my cat! lol So this might not be as frustrating for you as I thought.

And you are right they are all pricey; that old saying comes to mind you pay for what you get. But, it’s not too bad considering we are not feeding alot of it. 🙂

#40664 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi all:
    I just fed my hyperthyroid kitty a meal of Primal freeze dried chic & salmon and he loved it! I was only going to feed him a small amount on top of his usual canned but he seemed to enjoy it so much I ended up giving him about half of the amount suggested for his weight. I want to make sure it agreed with him before I fed him the suggested amount. So far so good, that was about 2 hours ago.

I am going to offer it to my other kitties but I don’t have high hopes. They are very picky.

I got a 5.5 oz bag on sale for $3.00. That flavor wasn’t selling so it was on the clearance rack. It took longer to rehydrate than I expected and was easy to prepare.

#40665 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

C4C, Benjamin is one of my 5 cats. Jake is my only dog now. Lucky for him they all get along, he’s outnumbered! Not uncommon for me to find them all on the bed together.

#40667 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Jakes Mom-
    Ok, I got it. My 14 year old cat has had a few teeth removed and she’s doing fine. My almost 3 year od pups have finally stopped chasing my 4 cats so much. I thought if I got them as young pups, they would get along better. Finally, they are settling down and leaving cats alone. A lot of people crinkle up their noses at me when I say I have 4 cats. Nice to know I’m not alone. Lol!

#40678 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I have another question for you guys lol

Does anyone have any problems with their cats play biting? Every time I try to scratch his cheek, he gets all excited and playful and claws and bites my fingers (even petting his back, or giving butt scratches, too, sometimes). The clawing isn’t so much a problem now with the nail caps (other than the three that don’t have caps lol, but he’s not real claw-y anyways, thankfully), but he gets more and more mouthy the more excited he gets. And he’s not afraid to swat at me to get my attention to play as I walk past, either LOL I give him warnings when he starts (starts off as just gentle mouthing and nipping), tell him no, and remove my hand for a few minutes, and it takes like 2-3 times of that until he gets pretty rough and starts to actually bite, in which case i tell him no and stop petting him all together.

He does have toys that he plays with by himself now, and I have a teaser and a laser pointer that he loves, and of course him and he dog try to kill each other all day now, so it’s not like he doesn’t get his energy out! I am guilty of playing rough with him with my hands, but it’s not very often. Anyone have ideas?

#40681 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Akari:
    I have had some cats that like to play rough and they pretty much grew out of it as they got a little older. Although every one of the cats that liked to take a swat at someone walking by usually had that habit until the day they died. Lol IMO it is tempting to play rough with them when they do it, but it only contributes to the problem.

I would suggest not scratching him too much in the places that seem to excite him, always play gentle with him, and when he gets excited from scratching or begins to play rough just stop interacting with him; send him away from you if necessary. I would also not scratch or play with him for a longer period of time when he behaves this way. Instead of a couple minutes try 10 or 15.

Kittens and young cats have an abundance of energy and it sounds like you have provided plenty of toys for him, you give him attention, and most importantly Bentley gives him attention! It has been my experience as they mature they tend to become gentler. Maybe someone else will have some better advice for you but this is all I got for you. 🙂

#40683 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Akari

Once kitties get riled up that way they don’t settle quickly, so going back to the kind of play that turns him on is like reinforcing bad behavior. Once he starts playing bitey cat, push him off of the seat with you and don’t interact with him for a while. Maybe give him something he can play rough with, but don’t give him your hand again until he has completely swithed gears. If you are trying to desensitize him from reacting that way to being scratched there, then you need to scratch one or two times and move on to something else before he has a chance to react. Never keep scratching until you get a reaction unless you want to train him to react that way.

#40695 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Akari, I agree with everyone else’s comments and would just add one thing. The cat’s face is sensitive, maybe you’re annoying him, especially if you’re touching the very sensitive whiskers. There’s also something called hyperesthesia, a syndrome where kitties are ultra sensitive to touch, especially on the back. I doubt that’s the case with you, I think he’s probably just young and rowdy!! I have a cat who’s very touchy about his back. He likes me to pet him but I need to watch how he’s acting and know when to quit.
    Raw food people…I was at the store this afternoon and saw fresh pork hocks and pig tails! Also ox tails on sale for soup. Has anybody fed a pig tail? Looked like a good size but I wasn’t sure so I didn’t get them. Are any or all of them ok? I was pretty sure the hocks would be ok?
    C4C, I know what you mean about the strange looks from some people, but have you also noticed that some of those people, the ones with just one or 2 cats, seem to come to us for advice? lol

#40698 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I feed ox tail and I wouldn’t hesitate to feed pig tails, but they are high in bone and need meat added, and you may need to watch how fatty they look.

#40701 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

BCnut, thanks, maybe I’ll go back and take another look. And what about the pork hocks? I need to freeze pork, right? Is there anything I would find at the grocery store meat counter that I shouldn’t feed?

#40703 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

They say that the way conventionally raised pork is raised now days, you shouldn’t have all the worries that you used to. That’s why they recently changed cooking recommendations on pork. I still play it conservative and freeze all pork products. And same thing with hocks, be aware of the amount of bone and fat in them. Hocks are leg(weight bearing) bones so I don’t feed them as a source of calcium. I don’t have to wory about my dogs breaking teeth on them and definitely not the cats, but some avid chewers might be at risk.

As far as what not to feed, look for what is included in with the meat. I don’t feed things that are brined, brothed, nitrated, etc. Occasionally, I’ll get pork ribs that have some added salt, but that is rare. I try to not get anything that has stuff added to it, so no ham, no preseasoned meats, etc.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by theBCnut.
    #40714 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Thanks for the tips, guys! As far as him not liking the petting, he definatly likes it. I’ve known a few evil cats in my day, and he does not use the same body language at all. He’s like an oversized kitten that wants to eat everything. He bites whatever he rubs his face on, too. He just likes to bite and chew things, and gets excited when I offer to rub his face. He even goes as far as to pet himself with my hand lol I guess he thinks of it as a free play toy, rather than one he has to seek out? Who knows lol

He’s actually been good today, as far as that goes. Feet are his target of choice at the moment LOL I don’t mind that so much because he doesn’t fixate on it like he does biting the hand that scratches his face. He just pounces, and then when he misses (or gets accidentally kicked in the face <.<) he sets back with a crazed look in his eye and watches his prey get away LOL He’s gotten me several times in the last two hours :p

#40741 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

OK, thanks BCnut. I am just looking for stuff to give the dog and cats more as a healthy treat as opposed to really “feeding raw” so not worried about calcium or other nutrients, still counting on the kibble to supply that. I have been looking at just raw stuff like the bones, hearts and gizzards, chicken backs and chicken and beef liver. I’ve seen a lot of smoked hocks and knew not to give anything like that so was interested when I saw the fresh hocks. Have noticed that a lot of the chicken parts are “enhanced” so have avoided that as well.

#40762 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Bobby dog, Jake had a beef bone tonite and he loved it! Either he likes beef more than chicken or he’s just more used to raw now but he had no hesitation about it like he did when I first gave him a chicken back. I’m not sure what kind of bone it was. It was packaged as “scrap bones for stewing”. Had a decent amount of meat on it. I think it was a cow vertebrae by the looks of it. The cats enjoyed some of the meat, too. Beef is a hit at my house I guess! Next time, pork ribs maybe! You should try giving Bobby a nice meaty bone, this one kept Jake busy and happy for almost 2 hours!

#40763 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Jakes mom:
    I am not sure who is enjoying the RMB’s more at this point, you or Jake! lol I have tried some soup bones before; I am not even sure if they are appropriate. This was before I took an interest in what I was feeding Bobby and my cats.

Bobby’s a funny little dude because chewing on the bone or eating the raw meat off of it didn’t really interest him, he just wanted to bury them. He buries anything you give him outside though, even biscuits. He doesn’t even chew on bullysticks. He does chew like a maniac on his squeaky or plush toys. He’s four years old and has the most beautiful white teeth you have ever seen and I do not brush them.

I am still going to go for the beef heart but what I am really interested in trying is a turkey neck. Maybe a different texture may interest him, IDK. I will check out everything that is out though because you never know what you will come across.

These updates make me want to go grocery shopping sooner! Thank you so much for the updates though, they are helpful for me!!!! 😉

#40764 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Bobby dog, I think you’re right, I’m enjoying this too much!! lol! I didn’t buy what they advertise as “soup bones” because they are the weight bearing bones we’ve been warned about, too hard for teeth plus marrow is so fatty. Jake doesn’t chew toys anymore, he used to like his squeaky plush things but now if it’s not edible he’s not interested!

#40766 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Jakes mom:
    Even though the bones were cut small I think they were weight bearing bones as well. Oh well, all is well and now I know better.

I was sad when my JRT outgrew her toys and jealous when my friend’s dogs never outgrew that phase. Now I have Bobby and I think he will forever be a puppy. He loves all of his toys; in the house he carries them around all of the time. He goes absolutely nuts at Christmas when he gets them. I wrap them up and he goes crazy tearing off the paper because he knows what’s in there. I always tell him to grow up! lol

#40788 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Akari:
    FYI, I know you were looking for an ingredient list and someone just posted this link for Pure Balance info:

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Pure-Balance/1097490?povid=cat202072-env999999-module012814-PUREBALANCEitembadge

#40818 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Bobby dog I know what you mean. Jake used to chase a ball and play with squeaky toys but now he’s just a mellow old man I guess! I tossed a ball toward him a while back and he just kind of watched it roll by and then looked at me as if to say “seriously?”.

#40887 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey guys! My friend is looking for a cheap grain and gluten free dry cat food on PetFlow. Any suggestions?

#40964 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Wet or dry?

#40965 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Never mind, I read your question too fast lol. I’ll check it out later tonight.

#40966 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Well I think when I said dry that would be what I meant :p

I told her she may have to suck it up and buy Inscinct LID Rabbit. I told her to try something with out chicken and fish, since the cat usually has chicken based foods (they tend to buy stuff at the grocery store….). We’re going out tonight after she gets off work and scooping out what we can find.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Akari_32.
    #40970 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Akari:
    I know this may be a silly question, but have you introduced her to the world of pet food coupons and signing up for e-mail promotions at various websites? Does she know how to become an equal opportunity pet food sale shopper and to check out Internet sites as well as pet store sales? lol Can’t wait to read your “off course I have silly” response, but I have to ask.

#40972 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

from a quick peruse on the site it looks like Merrick, Earthborn, and Precise in the big bags are the cheapest price/lb. I’ve never personally fed my cat any of those (I use fromm’s and simply nourish source-and then any stew style I can find in hopes of getting her to actually eat canned food-pates? Forget about it!) but I like the brands for dog food so they are probably fine for the cat as well. If she has a petsmart, simply nourish is nice for the price

#40998 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Bobby dog and C4C, I finally got the ABC download, sounds great! Just what I need and so easy. Will be heading to the grocery store soon. Sounds like more calories than I usually feed in a day but will decrease the amount of kibble on the other days to make up for it. Also may try the other option of feeding a menu item each day instead of doing one whole day. Might be easier on the digestive tract! Have you had a chance to do an ABC day yet?

#41003 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Jakes mom:
    I have to agree, fabulous and easy to follow download!! I hope more people that feed kibble look into it.

I have not done a full day yet, and who knows I may never get around to it! lol Someday I will, grocery day is coming soon! So far I have only fed the items throughout the week. And I adjusted the kibble and canned as you mentioned; it’s an easy adjustment with the chart.

The only ingredient left for Bobby to taste test (and like) is a heart meat. Chicken didn’t go over well, although he does eat the chicken gizzards/heart mix I bought earlier in the month; he just doesn’t eat it enthusiastically. I will keep sampling meats until I find something he likes, no big deal. If nothing else, I know he loves ground beef. But adding the other ingredients has gone well.

And of course it all depends on Bobby. I’ll try an ABC day and if he doesn’t care for it or it doesn’t agree with him I will just continue to feed the items throughout the week.

Bobby just brought me his slobbery bear toy…yuck!

#41029 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Guys-
    So far, I’m giving my dogs two eggs twice a week each with their kibble, one can of sardines each once a week and I finely chopped up some broccoli and carrots the other night to add to their evening kong treat. I have not yet fed the meat hearts either and I have to come up with a more regular vege/fruit schedule. But, the eggs and sardines are a staple! I think the amounts on the chart are for once a week, so I probably could add another day of sardines. They are kind of expensive though. The ones they sell at Costco have olive oil. So, looking for a good place to buy them packed in water at a good price. I probably will continue just adding one of the items per day. I don’t plan on doing a whole day at one time. I like that it tells me exactly how much to give though. The chart states a little less calories than I usually feed. My dogs are not over weight though, so I guess I won’t worry too much about it. I give them a little canned every morning with their kibble and plan on adding a fresh food every night with their kibble. So far, so good!

#41040 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Thanks guys! For the money we decided on Wellness Core Turkey and Duck (or whatever it is) for now. No fish, etc, and can use the $5 off any bag coupons along with store coupons and pet Supermarket does B10G1 through the store (not through the companies, so no hassle with that!). I think I’m gunna take they route too, and keep mixing dry food into the cats canned. He does well on that method, and doesn’t keep weight up as well on just canned. Lord knows I can’t afford to feed this can any more than I already do lol

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 1,489 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.