🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 1,489 total)
  • Author
    jakes mom

I really think a little fresh every day is the way to go instead of one whole day. Makes every meal a little more exciting for them. Jake gets some of whatever veg I’m eating most days anyway, he loves everything I’ve offered except celery and eats every fruit I’ve ever given him. Sometimes I think he’s beagle/piglet instead of beagle/basset.

#41136 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Jakes mom-
    Oh my gosh, a beagle/basset sounds adorable! We have a basset hound living two doors down from us. I’d never really seen one in person before. He’s so cute. I love to watch him walk! My dogs eat most everything too (they’re labs), but one of them actually spit out some raw broccoli and cauliflower the other day. He went in to the other room to do it. LOL! His brother, however, just ate them with no issue. I’ll have to chop it up and add to his food I guess. Just like I had to do with my human boys. I cut up a turkey neck to put in their kibble today. I guess that would qualify as a fresh meat day, wouldn’t it?

Akari-
    I’m using the Wellness core duck and turkey (or whatever it is) right now also. My cats are doing fine on it. I have a much easier time switching foods with my cats than my dogs. It is expensive so I’ll prob only feed every third or fourth bag. I don’t mind having chicken in their kibble and I make sure no fish in the first at least three ingredients. Just nice having this food to have a break from both every now and then. Especially since most of their canned foods have chicken in them.

#41141 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Ok, so a little thing I noticed…. You guys may remember me saying I got a flea collar for the cat a while back. Well, I took it off about a week ago. It hit me that his face wasn’t as fluffy as it used to be, and that he was really scratching at the collar a lot. After a closer look, he also has a scab on the side of his neck, and a bald ring where the collar sat.

Here’s a picture from before the collar:

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/2A46772B-40BA-4DE5-890C-83F400CFB78C_zpsqi1schna.jpg

And a week after having it off.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/936C75A6-780A-4AB7-B825-C59A53124255_zpsmjcb3zu5.jpg

And here’s his neck

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/323CF7A5-64CB-4808-BECB-C08A9B425C3E_zpsj9r1n2hx.jpg

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/D41C9CB8-B722-4C7E-827B-8021E998B5EA_zpsilnetf6c.jpg

And him snuggling on the couch with Bentley 🙂 (you can also see his neck his bald here)

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/F3BB3F31-18E7-46A4-9B5B-E3DF56ECA471_zps6vyuo6um.jpg

I did some googling and it seems this is a pretty common problem. Some cats have even died from these collars! Why are they still selling these?? Is there anything I can do to help the fur grow back?

Anyway, I’ve been doing brewers yeast and garlic pills every day for the fleas for the last week or so (when ever they came in the mail, I took the collar off and started those instead). Whatever fleas are on him are sluggish and don’t seem too happy, so maybe it’s working? Even if it’s not doing anything for fleas, it’s helping his greasy tail, which I figured out is called stud tail and can get pretty nasty when not treated.

#41159 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Jakes mom:
    Jake must have the best floppy ears. I can’t even imagine two better breeds with nice floppy ears. 🙂

Today was Bobby’s egg day! He does love egg day.

Hey Akari:
    I love the Bentley snuggle pic! Poor baby, we used a flea collar on my childhood dog. I never used one for my JRT because many years ago consumers were warned about the possible side effects of some flea collars. Some brands use questionable chemicals. The before and after pictures are pretty telling, you did the right thing by taking it off immediately. They do have herbal flea collars on the Only Natural Pet Website.

I have never heard of stud tail before.

My suggestion on the fur loss would be to look into a probiotic. I was going to wait to update you guys, but here’s my update on feeding my hyperthyroid kitty a probiotic. I started giving him about 2T/day of kefir beginning April 11. He has dry skin which can be a side effect of his daily meds. I have treated his dry skin both internally and externally with organic unrefined coco oil. During the winter it got a little out of hand because of the heat and him staying indoors most of the time. I took him to the Vet, we discussed treatment options. I opted for antibiotics and medicated creme; it helped.

I also started researching possible home remedies other than coco oil. This led me to probiotics. I found info stating when a cat’s gut is in a weakened state probiotics is needed. Antibiotics can contribute to a weakened gut because it kills beneficial bacteria living there. He was also treated prior to the fall with antibiotics for a cut that got infected; this also could have contributed to what he is experiencing with his skin and fur now. A few signs of a weak gut include skin and fur conditions. So I decided to try kefir since I could drink it and I could give it to Bobby and Archie too. Long story short (I know, too late), it’s been almost a month and his skin and fur has improved a great deal. He now has peach fuzz growing on the several bald spots he was licking. The skin is not red and irritated looking, it is healing. I even took pictures at the start of my kefir trial. It really made a difference although he is not eating it as willingly as he was before.

I have been slowly researching probiotics for cats; I just haven’t come up with any recommendations for a human grade one that I could mix in his food or how much to dose. Since Archie has shown such an improvement in his fur and skin, I want to start giving it to my other senior kitty whose fur is not as full as it used to be. He just had a check-up recently, including blood work, and everything came back excellent. The one thing that I think may have affected his fur is at the start of the fall he had a cold and he was prescribed a round of antibiotics. His gut may still be out of whack, IDK. This kitty wants nothing to do with kefir so that is also why I need to find a probiotic other than kefir for him.

Maybe the chemicals from the flea collar put a strain on Kitty’s system internally, IDK just a thought. That’s my kefir and kitty story so far.

Another option for treating pets with fleas is using food grade dematiaceous earth as a flea powder for your kitty; it is inexpensive. Many people use it on their animals both internally and externally for parasites. It does not kill fleas immediately; it damages their exoskeleton which causes their death. You can also use it on floors, bedding, or anything else your pet may use to kill fleas. I feed it to my horses and I also use it as a flea powder. You can find a lot of info about DE and using it on your pets on the Internet.

#41161 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Akari I think a lot of flea meds can cause problems with hair loss. I used advantage on my cats a few years ago and most of them were fine but one had a little bald spot on the back of her neck where the drops were put on. It will just come back by itself, now that the collar is off, don’t worry about it.
    Bobby dog and C4C, thanks, Jake is cute little guy. Wish I had a camera to post a pic like Akari does. He’s shaped more like a beagle but has the thin droopy skin and ears of the basset. Mostly black like a basset, white belly and legs and his front legs kind of turn in like a basset too. I bought sardines, broccoli, turkey necks (first time) and more hearts/gizzards tonite. Now just need to do a little research on calories to figure out how much I need to decrease his dry before I do an ABC week.

#41162 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Here’s a link on Stud Tail. Looks like it’s more a long haired cat thing.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/stud-tail-in-cats

#41165 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Jakes’s mom-
    Are you gonna just give him the turkey neck or will you cut it up and put in his food? I have done both and I think I am leaning towards cutting it up from now on. My dogs tend to be gulpers and they make me nervous when eating them whole. They, however, are a little difficult to cut up. I used some type of wire cutters to do it. We put vice grips on bully sticks when we feed those! I still have not got any hearts or gizzards yet.
    Bobby dog-
    If I remember correctly, on cat info, she recommends Forti Flora. That might not be your first choice, but if they like it, at least they will get some probiotic. I’m curious if my cats would drink kefir. I wouldn’t think so. My hyperthyroid kitty hasn’t shown any side effects from med yet, but she’s only been on it for a few months. She still vomits once in a while though. I found that I can’t feed her any type of canned with gravy or she brings it back up. It makes me feel bad. She’ll be 15 in August.

#41175 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Akari:
    Yuck!!! Poor Kitty. How are you treating it?

Hey C4c:
    I think you’re right, Forti Flora. When I researched probiotics on some blogs most posters did not recommend it because of the ingredients; they called it kitty crack. However, it was not completely snubbed because most posters also agreed it worked like a charm to get a cat to eat if all else failed. General consensus was there were better choices. I don’t remember what the ingredients are so I will just have to check it out for myself.

The one thing I did find is raw feeders used probiotics daily. They mentioned sprinkling 1/2 capsule 2 times a day of acidophilus + bifidus capsules, but I just haven’t had time to really check it out.

I was hoping for a human probiotic so I could use it for Bobby (or even me) if needed. Of course I will buy one for cats if I can’t find one, just hoping to find an all purpose product if possible. lol

The other probiotic suggested was plain yogurt. 1 teaspoon before each meal, 3 t max a day. I think I will try that also, I believe they will eat that with no problem.

I can’t feed my female kitty or one of my male cats’ gravy or sauces for the same reason. The common ingredient that I suspect does not agree with them are starches. If I happen to buy something with gravy or sauces, they don’t get to eat any. 🙁

#41205 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

C4C, I’m going to try letting Jake chew on the neck and see how he does. The package contained pieces about 4-5 inches long so I’ll see how it goes. I’m going to wait until I can sit with him and keep an eye on him, probably on sunday when I don’t have to work. He’s done well with everything else so far so I’m hopeful.
    I may try a bit of plain yogurt or kefir for my thyroid kitty. His coat is a little dry, no major problems, but it sure can’t hurt.

#41219 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Happy Friday:
    Alright, I offered the Primal Chic & Salmon to my other cats and they won’t touch it. Only one kitty likes it, not even the two that like NV medallions wanted to try it. Oh well, Archie gets it all for himself.

On another note, since we are incorporating an ABC menu for our dogs, here is a menu for us from Castor & Pollux: 😉
    http://www.castorpolluxpet.com/our-products/promotions

#41230 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Nice cook book.
    At first, I thought they were recipes for dogs. I laughed out loud thinking that if I started making meals for the dogs that looked like that, my human family would be irate! Lol! None of our meals come even close to looking like that. They definitely are pretty dishes.

#41233 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

C4c:
    Too funny because I thought the same thing! :0 That’s partly why I posted it because we have been talking about making our kibbles a little more wholesome and this was posted on a dog food site so I just assumed it was a cookbook for dogs. When I saw the pictures I thought OMG do people really make their dog food look that appetizing? Then I re-read the intro and started laughing at myself. My meals are definately not that pretty either. But, I will be checking out the recipes, especially the desserts.

FYI:
    coupons.com has $4.00 off Nature’s Recipe 4 lbs or larger any variety dry dog food (Petsmart), $2.00 off Nutro Ultra any variety 4 lbs or larger dry dog food, B3G1 free Nutro Ultra Boost trays, $1.50 off 5 Iams Woof Delights, Sheba $3.00 off 24 cans, a couple Fancy Feast, and $5.00 off Blue Natural Litter (any size) coupons. I know Akari already gave us a review (not so good) of the Blue litter, but just throwing it out there any way.

Cheers 😉

#41334 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Happy Mother’s day to everybody, human or furry kids!
    I gave Jake a turkey neck this am, a piece about 4 inches long. He wasn’t too keen on it at first, don’t know if he’s not a big turkey neck fan or just because it was something new. He treated it like he did the first couple of chicken backs, just kind of licked and sniffed a little. After a few minutes he started working on it and it took him about 15 minutes to finish. Hope he decided he likes them because I have 5 more in the freezer! Try again in a few days.

#41347 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Jakes mom:
    Right back at ya!! Sounds like Jake had a good Mother’s Day snack. 😉

#41411 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Jakes mom:
    I believe you wrote you were going to try yogurt or keifer for your kitty. I don’t know if you use coupons or where you shop but the Lifeway website has coupons for their products if you’re interested. I think they may change monthly and they limit the number of coupons you can print. Give Jake a taste of the Keifer if you do get it to see if he likes it. Bobby absolutely loves it. I had started to mix it in his food a few times a week, but I found he loves it so much I now use it as a reward instead of adding it to his food.

#41427 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Ooooh fun times -_- cats got another suspected UTI. Vet appointment for tomorrow at 3;30. I’m glad I got my tax check, and that I only need about $160 of it for something else so we have some wiggle room for th vet, because I wouldn’t have been able to afford this otherwise! I’m going to stop dry food completely, even though I’m adding water and not even feeding him a full serving. Maybe he’s just one of those cats that can’t handle it? If it’s not a UTI, then we still need to figure out what’s going on and why he keeps leaving little blood specks all over the tile when he sits in one spot for a while. He still doesn’t really drink water, but I add to his food so that’s probably not too big of a deal. So, we’ll see. I’ve been instructed to try and get a urine sample, but he backs up to the front corner of the litter box to pee, so I dunno how well that’ll work out lol

#41428 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Oh, how frustrating. I can’t even imagine trying to get a urine sample from one of my kitties. I wonder what is going on. I wish you luck.

#41430 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Awww, sorry to read that Akari. 🙁 I think you have the right idea and dry cat food may not be for him.

Didn’t Jakes mom have some type of suggestion on collecting urine? Can’t remember exactly, but I think I commented on it a while ago. If I remember something about emptying out the litter box completely and hopefully the cat will use the litter box w/o the litter? IDK, I may have imagined it. lol

#41440 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

BobbyDog, that’s right, put an empty litter box out and hope he’ll use it then you can pour the urine into a plastic margarine cup or something. The vet can do a bladder tap if necessary (not as bad for the cat as it sounds) but hopefully Akari or the vet can just get a sample. It may not be an actual UTI, might be cystitis from crystals. Some cats just can’t tolerate the dry food, screws with the urine PH and causes trouble. Akari, what kind of little blood specs are you taking about? How’s the flea problem? Are you sure it’s not little specs of flea dirt that’s falling off when he sits in one place for a while? Flea dirt (poop) is pretty much blood so will leave red spots. Just a thought. Bobby dog, haven’t tried yogurt or kefir yet, will let you know.

#41441 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

That’s true about the flea dirt droppings. It is mostly just dried blood. If they drop in a moist area it could look like blood drops. Either way, a trip to the Vet is a good idea to make sure if he is ill it does not escalate to a $1,000 plus Vet bill.

One of my senior kitties I took for a check-up last month ended up getting a bladder tap because I wanted them to test his urine. If I did not know what the Vet was doing, I would never have known, the cat didn’t flinch. Unbelievable because it creeped me out when the Vet told me how he could get a urine sample from him right away.

#41464 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’m sure it’s not flea dirt. It’s like blood dried to the floor. Even if it isn’t blood, and he doesn’t have a UTI or anything like that, I’d like the vet to check out his tail. That greasy stud tail is getting old lol

I forgot about the empty litter box idea! I have a couple laying around. Maybe I’ll lock him in the bathroom (wow, this cats gets locked in the bathroom a lot LOL) with one and see what happens.

#41512 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Akari:
    I hope you’re able to give us an update when you have time! Sending positive thoughts to both of you. 😉 Also, don’t know if you saw it, but I gave you some links on the DE thread you started with my experience with it, how I use it, some possible drawbacks, and what I use in conjunction with DE. Good luck today!

Jakes mom & C4c:
    Grocery day! I’ll update with what I find and how Bobby does.

My local pet shop is having a 25% off everything anniversary sale on the 18th. I have to stop in to see what they have in stock in small bags so I can get my list together before the 18th. Their stores are always packed on these days so it is distracting if you try to take your time because someone is always in your way. lol This shopping trip might take 12 hours or more!

#41516 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Thank you. The appointment isn’t until 3:30, but when we get to that point, I will update 🙂

I did see that, just forget to respond lol Thanks!

#41517 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

I usually have them try to draw the urine from mine at the vets. When they haven’t been able to do that, they give me this stuff called plastic litter that you put in the bottom of a clean litter box and it doesn’t absorb any of the urine so you can just pour the urine right into the collection container. With uti’s in kitties, especially those that are prone to crystals moisture is obviously of the utmost importance, but the ph of the urine is also very important too, as crystals thrive in alkali I believe. I am sure your vet will have some good suggestions for you. Our puppy just got home from the vet, he has bronchitis the poor little guy, but he is still all full of energy and naughtiness. No nursery school or puppy play time, or training for him until he is symptom free, he started on Clavamox today.

#41550 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

You can have crystals in alkaline or acid urine, just different kinds. He’s probably just better off with no dry food. If this turns out to be a continuing crystal problem there’s a surgery that can be done that essentially turns him into a girl, lol. Reconstructs the urethra and widens it so it’s less likely to get blocked. But let’s hope you don’t have to think about that!
    I’m jealous of the fish tank talk! Haven’t had one in a long time, I agree, I like the neons, too!

#41578 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

So, I stopped by our local feed store today. They had Natures Variety Instinct 5.5 oz canned cat food at buy 2 get 1 free. I picked up 3 cans. I don’t think my cats have ever had it because its so expensive. I’m sure they will turn their noses up at it, but I’m hoping for the best! They like the cheap stuff better. Lol! I’m not sure if that special is being offered everywhere or not, but something to check out.

#41756 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hello:
    Checked out the NV canned cat food to see if my pet stores had the deal C4c ran into, they didn’t. 🙁
    I picked up beef liver for the ABC diet. I went to two grocery stores and that was the only thing on my raw list I could find. 🙁 I was going to hit a third grocery store on my way home, but I ran out of time. That one probably will have some of the items I am looking for; next time I will start there first.

I also picked up lactobacillus & bifidobacterium capsules and plain Greek yogurt for the kitties. I have been sprinkling one capsule each/day on Tyler’s food; he does not like yogurt. I have been alternating yogurt and capsules with Archie; he’s a good eater. I hope Archie’s coat continues to fill out. The bald spots are really growing fur now. His skin is still dry, but has improved a great deal. I’ll keep you up to date in case anyone else has these types of issues with their cats in the future.

Akari:
    Hope all is well.

Not a coupon deal, but one of my pet store’s deal this month is B1G1 free any size dog or cat food of Cali Nat’l or EVO. Picked up two small bags of EVO for the cats for $9.99 total and three cans of Wellness using my $1.00 off coupons for each. 😉 I was in there looking around for food to buy this Sunday during their anniversary sale, 25% off everything, wahoooo!

#41760 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey guys! I had a big long post written out last night but my computer decided it didn’t want to internet any more. Basically, we don’t think he has a UTI, we are leaning more toward the flea dirt catching moisture in the bathroom, since it’s the only place we’ve seen any blood on the floor. Vet still wants a urine sample, and told me to try packing peanuts in a clean litter box. Just gotta to buy a cheap litter box now lol But I’m glad I paid for the office visit, rather than siting around worrying if he had one or not. It sure beats the $100+ if he did!

Mom bought him a nice cat tree last night for $112 at PetSmart (they’re all on sale!!). We split it, actually. I’d been asking her if we could build one, and by the time we have all the stuff and work put into it, $112 seems fair not to have to plan and cut stuff :p

I also picked up 34 cans of Wellness Complete Health Grain free (Beef and Chicken, Turkey, and Chicken flavors). I’m surprised to see these have considerably less carbs than most of the CORE. I emailed wellness and asked for the as fed carb values of the cans, and was amazed at how high some of the COREs are! Anyways, for $19.93, I got 17 days of food. I’d have paid that for Friskies, just about, so for a couple more dollars than Friskies, I think I did good! Details will be in my coupon thread 😉

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/8D0B0028-2AEA-4F7B-B32C-9DA4F67DB879_zpsmqhhrhzu.jpg

I also got his food all planned out for the next 29 1/2 days. I think I need something else to do with my life LOL Just wait till I use my Sheba coupons! I get to rearrange them all again!

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/1E8FB0A6-BCA1-4977-9495-8319E653DCC4_zpshfzmoysb.jpg

#41762 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

That’s good to hear Akari! So much better than treating at another illness. How about the stud tail?

Another good idea about collecting urine.

My cats only like the Wellness Complete Health which was alright with me because of the carb values. I’ll be stocking up on some this Sunday.

What a nice toy for Kitty to get!!!

#41764 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

It’s been going away with the brewers yeast pills. I don’t know if it happened to just be starting to go away anyways, or if the pills are helping it, but as long as it’s going away, I’m good! Lol

Here’s the email wellness sent me.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/AEC93409-2E01-4209-8385-8686CAE9FAF4_zpsvp7yipk5.png

I’m surprised how high the C/S/M ones are too. He’s been eating on those since I got him pretty much! Yeesh!

Good luck with your stocking up! If you get any good deals with coupons, you know where to put them 😉

#41765 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

That’s interesting. I hate when you don’t know if it’s coincidence or not. lol Either way it’s good info.

The only cat coupons I ran into recently were the ones I posted from coupons.com a few days ago, unfortuneately. I have been checking the Purina website for any POB promos. Since the new recipes for canned cat food & kibbles should be out soon I figure they will probably use coupons to promo it. I am interested in the POB canned recipes; hope they post them soon.

#41881 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I haven seen anything for Purina, either. Oh well. I do still have my BOGO Pro Plan cans, if they’re still good.

Btw, I tried out the Wellness Complete Health this morning, and he loved it. Ate every last bit, after a trip to the litter box about 3/4 of the way through. I gave him a whole 5.5 oz can because I knew I’d be out most of the day, and couldn’t do three feedings. I’m debating on whether or not I should give him a can of a Friskies for dinner, so that he has something he’s used to having in his tummy after all that new food, but at the same time, he gets a good about of the other Wellness (slices, and minced, and whatever’s), so it’s shouldn’t be too different than what he’s used to. I’ll see how his poops are when I clean the litter box later. If they’re yucky, I’ll give him Friskies, if they’re good I’ll give him the other can of Wellness CH.

#41901 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Akari:
    I would tend to lean towards since he is used to eating other varieties of Wellness, he would be okay with CH. I always end up giving several cats different brands each day anyway. But, you never know; at least you have some of his usual food on hand.

Did you ever try freezing a feeding of canned cat food when you have to be out most of the day? I have done this a couple of times; learned it from catinfo. 🙂 Freeze an amount of food you normally feed in advance. Feed Kitty as usual, then before you leave for the day place the frozen portion in another dish so he can eat it later when it’s thawed. I would suggest if you want to do this try it first when you are home and see how it works out for him. I wouldn’t think there would be any issues, but you never know.

Alright, went to the sale today. Since Bobby is pretty well stocked up on kibble, canned, and dehydrated food I only picked up a small bag of kibble for him. I thought I would try Grandma Mae’s Farmhouse Blend, it’s the Pork & Fishmeal formula. For the cats I only needed to stock up on canned food. I bought Natural Balance and Grandma Mae’s to try out. Stocked up on Triumph, Wellness CH, Innova, and EVO.

#41912 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

We came home today to the strong smell of cat poop. Granted, I’ve not changed the litter in about 2 weeks (I was testing the fancy black box of Arm and Hammer– works great for a week, then works ok for another couple days, but I’ve used better, so I’ll only get that when I get a good deal on it). Usually he gets smelly when he gets something new, so I’ll just give him Friskies tonight.

Anyways, I went to change the litter (cause who wants to smell poop smell till garbage day??), and of course he hopped right in as soon as I took the top off the box. Then he sat there about a minute, so I stood there to see how much pee he put out, to see if it was comparable to how long he was sitting there. All he put out was this much:

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/63F5B7F4-688E-4BEA-BEB1-55ED935214B9_zpsvvqvkybl.jpg

That doesn’t seem like very much for how long he was in there. He also started breathing heavy about half way through. Both me and Bentley were standing over him, but that shouldn’t really have bothered him. When he got out, I also noticed another spot that was still really fresh, and much smaller, in the back corner.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/C0E06715-17FC-49D7-A531-63CEB7D5D448_zpsipx9kptv.jpg

So I’ll be getting on that urine sample now for sure.

#42113 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on By Nature canned cat food? I am looking specifically at the non organic types because they are a lot less expensive. I am going to try out some different cat foods this month.

#42116 Report Abuse
    arwyru24
    #42119 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

That or the 95% Turkey/turkey liver I was looking at. Both of those are $24.71 for a case of 24 5.5oz cans which I don’t think is a bad price for a good food.

I was also looking at Red Barn…. http://www.chewy.com/cat/redbarn-premium-grain-free-tricky/dp/48017

If I don’t rotate up the foods the cats stop eating them. I’ve noticed with the Wellness Pate this is starting to happen and I still have a full case of 12 big cans left of the turkey and 6 of the turkey/salmon so it is definitely time to add to the rotation so I don’t wind up throwing food away. I did decide for sure to get a case of Nature’s Logic because I have read so many wonderful and glowing things about it but it is a little expensive (but really not too bad at Chewy) http://www.chewy.com/cat/natures-logic-chicken-recipe-canned/dp/39275 so I do need to work a little value into my monthly order.

#42120 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Sharon J:
    I fed a couple of recipes to Bobby and he loved them. I agree, the recipes look great, but by Nature will not disclose their co-packer so I will not purchase any of their products.

Part of my pet food criteria is ensuring a company will answer all questions I have to my satisfaction, disclosing their co-packer is one of my questions.

Thank goodness there are many other companies that will answer questions.

#42121 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I have not fed any Red Barn products and I have read alot of good reviews about Nature’s Logic as well.

#42157 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Thank you so much for this info!! No By Nature for me then! I think I am just going to try out two different Nature’s Logic recipes, and then Chewy has the NV Pride on sale this month, and so I think I am going to try one of the minced varieties, and then I also noticed that Chewy reduced their price of Chicken Soup for the Soul to $18.99 for a 24pk so I am thinking about it…. I just don’t know if rice does or does not cause the sensetivities in one of my cats for sure. It has been difficult to narrow down for sure, and part of me thinks why bother. The cats have seemed to enjoy the chicken soup for the soul in the past , they eat it well and it is cheap. I actually never looked into who the co-packer is on that brand either. might be a good idea.

#42159 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Sharon J:
    My standards for pet food changes daily. lol As I learn more about the manufacturing process I imagine it will continue to evolve.

by Nature actually contacted me again a few weeks ago to ask why I wouldn’t buy their products without this information. Interestingly it was just a few days before Purina v BB hit the media. This suit brings back memories of BB’s 2007 accusation that their co-packer made substitutions to their recipe without their knowledge.

I explained that I was aware some companies use co-packers, some do not, and I had no problem with this practice. The problem I have is some co-packers have an abysmal history; that is the reason I need to know. They replied that they would bring this concern to their management and would contact me with further info if they decide to change their policy.

Tripette and Halo will not disclose their co-packers either. I think C4c knows who co-packs CS canned foods. If not, if it’s important to you just contact them and see what they say. 😉

#42177 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

I feel like the more I know, the more I find out I don’t know. Its only recently that I learned to check for these things. I am actually working my way through a case of Halo right now. ugghh. Its so complicated. Or at least such a pain in the @ss

#42182 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Chicken soup is manufactured by Simmons. 🙂

#42183 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thanks C4c, I thought you knew because you recommended this food to me. The one pet store I use most often doesn’t carry it anymore because it didn’t sell. I do intend to try it, just have to drive to the other pet store. I am going to make a note on my manufacturing list before I forget. lol 😉

#42416 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Thank you!!! I will probably get a case of the CS, my cats like it a whole lot and $18.99 is a great price for a case, that is less than 80cents a can.

#42435 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Sharon-
    Where do you order the CS by the case from?

#42444 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey C4c:
    Looks like on Sharon’s May 22, 2014 at 11:06 am post CS is on sale at Chewy.com. I am going to take a look at it myself.

#42447 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Chewy is right! I am so glad I found that site it is amazing. I noticed they just reduced the price of the CS cans from $19.99 to $18.99 but it doesn’t seem to indicate it is a temporary sale so that might be the new regular price. Can’t complain. I have never met anyone that is so ambivalent and unable to make cat food decisions as I am… I go back and forth. I am thinking I might skip the CS, because even though I don’t know for sure if it is rice/grain or not that makes my sensitive cat have explosive diarrhea, things have certainly improved since I removed anything with rice in it, and stick to certain foods. I am going to try the chicken Nature’s Logic for sure, it looks like it will be fine, but I think I am best to introduce one new food at a time to see how it goes. I do rotate from day to day. I order once a month, so I will make my next order in a little less than 2 weeks. Oh, also on Chewy if you sign up for Autoship (which you can cancel or change or whatnot) you can save an additional 20% off up to $15. Last month was the first time I ordered on Chewy so I did that and got the additional $15 off which was amazing. Also a few of the large wellness cans came with serious dents in them to the point that I wasn’t sure if it was safe to feed them and they sent me out a whole new case for free right away. They just asked that I consider donating any salvageable cans to a rescue which I did. I think that was 7 large cans.

#42448 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

They have a really good deal on the Chicken and Liver Variety of the Nutro Max too, since I know you said your cats like Nutro C4c. $16.99 for a case of 24

http://www.chewy.com/cat/nutro-max-adult-chicken-liver/dp/29664

#42449 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

that one is a case of the 5.5oz cans too which works out to be 70cents a can I think, but that is the only flavor that is that inexpensive. The rest of the 5.5oz flavors cost more.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 1,489 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.