đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    shannel h

Hi,
    I just came upon this article: http://www.wkbw.com/news/pet-food-could-be-poisoning-your-furry-friend
    A lot of good brands were put into a bad ranking. I always thought that almost all of orijen and acana dog foods were great :(. Any truth to this article? I feel so paranoid buying any dog food these days :/

#102695 Report Abuse
    anonymous

It’s BS in my opinion. There is a thread started on this topic already /forums/topic/cleanlabelproject-org/
    The Clean Label Project, which ranked pet foods based on relative contamination levels, provides a link to buy even the lowest rated pet food brands via Amazon.com. The organization earns a 4 percent commission from these sales. However, Jaclyn Bowen, executive director of Clean Label Project, doesn’t see this as contradictory

(Excerpt from:) http://www.petfoodindustry.com/articles/6498-clean-label-project-earns-from-low-rated-pet-food-sales?v=preview

Ps: If you are receptive to science based veterinary medicine go here: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

#102697 Report Abuse
    shannel h

Thanks for the reply and all the links!

#102699 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Shannel,
    it’s not a load of BS, here’s Clean Label Project interview with CBS….
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/05/24/lead-mercury-arsenic-cadmium-found-in-popular-pet-foods/
    Don’t think cause your paying more for a pet food that it’s going to be really good quality, Orijen has been falling under the radar for way to long now, if you go on the CLP site you’ll start to see a pattern, the pet foods that have fish as the main protein seem to have the most toxins, I was feeding my boy the Earthborn Holistic Whitefish it came 7th & Holistic Select Salmon formula it came 10th on the bad list, at first my boy was doing really well then I must of brought a new batch he went down hill on both brands….vet just blamed his IBD now I think he’s very sensitive & picked up on the toxins in these fish foods, I do not feed or recommend feeding any fish formula’s no more, Turkey is the cleanest meat..
    Just make sure you rotate between a few different brands so your dog or cat isn’t on a certain brand for too long…
    CLP has given all the test results to all the pet food companies that were tested, so we’ll
    know next year when CLP does their testing again on most popular selling pet foods if these pet food companies really care about our pets & clean their act up…

#102764 Report Abuse
    Fugazzzii

FYI Cleanlabelproject project is not a legitimate source of info.

It’s very misleading. All the big Purina brands are highly rated and the expensive brands are low rated.

It’s a complete sham.

They did a AMA on Reddit and got torn apart for being frauds.

They own the labs where they conducted these ‘tests’.

They don’t share any info besides there star rating..

They profit off Amazon affiliate links selling these brands they rated poorly..

The list of shady stuff the CleanLabelProject people are involved with:

[Discussion] Recent claims by Clean Label Project and Ellipse Analytics
    byu/FozzieKuma indogs

[News] A toxicology report released yesterday reveals many pet foods have 16 times the amount of lead than the highest levels reported in Flint, MI’s water. (Crosspost from r/YSK)
    byu/Pooch76 indogs

#102827 Report Abuse
    HoundMusic
    Participant

I’d take Clean Label Project with a grain of salt. That being said, I don’t think it’s an outright scam, either.

If there is any truth to it, which there very well could be in regards to fish based formulas of any stripe, much of the anger you are seeing directed towards CLP is due to the fact that certain brands that score low on here scored high on their “purity” tests, and other very well hyped, ultra expensive brands didn’t fare so well. Thus, there is always going to be a segment swearing it cannot be true that a costly product might be of less quality than a cheaper one, or that their trendy brand isn’t so hot after all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.