šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    homzie

Has anybody had any issues with their dog not handling Blue Buffalo Chicken dog food? My dog loved it at first for a few weeks and now she will not eat and is getting sick sometimes. I am at my witts end trying to find her a healthy dog food with No wheat or corn and a food she likes. I cannot get to a pet store for food so I am limited on some brands I can get. Any ideas????

And now I just “googled” it and am finding a ton of people having the same situation with their dog! This makes me sick and upset. Wish I had done more research…it has good reviews on here but there is a ton of people out their complaining to Blue Buffalo about sickness from their food.

• This topic was modified 9 years ago by homzie.
    #70203 Report Abuse
    Gloria M

When I inquired to Blue Buffalo when they get their ingredients from they told me their vitamins come from China. That was very scarey to me. I was grateful that they were honest but stopped buying it. My dogs had terrible gas with it and I’m sure their stomachs were upset too! I feed Taste of the Wild salmon now and my dogs are so happy!

#70204 Report Abuse
    homzie

Where do you get the Taste of Wild Salmon from? I don’t have many store options where I’m at. It’s Walmart or a Farm & Fleet store.

#70207 Report Abuse
    david s

I am also feeding my dog Blue Buffalo chicken and he has runny stools since.

#70208 Report Abuse
    homzie

I read a lot of people are having the same issue with their dog and they are also having some permanent stomach damage and issues too with this food. I will stop buying it for sure!

#70222 Report Abuse
    Jennifer H

Look for Pure Balance at Walmart. They have 2 grain free varieties, the salmon is 3.5 stars and the Bison is 4.5 stars.

Looking at the site Farm and Fleet website they have some good foods, but most aren’t grain free. The Nature’s Balance Easy to Digest Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Pumpkin is rated 4 stars here.

What I would do is set aside a day when you have the spare time, and go to both stores. Read the ingredients lists and write down brands. Then when you come home, look at the brands on the site and see how many stars they have, and check for their recall history and other people’s experience with the food and brand as a whole.

#70223 Report Abuse
    homzie

Ok…I think I tried that food before-got it at Walmart. My dog just didn’t care for it much. I am not sure why-but she likes food for about the first couple of weeks, then quits eating until she is really really hungry. But I think I may go back to that one. I did print out the list of top foods (wheat/grain free) when I shopped around before and that is how I came up with the Blue Buffalo. There is another brand at Farm & Fleet-can’t remember the name but it is also grain/wheat free and the lady that worked there said they sold it 2nd to Blue Buffalo being #1, but I may try this one to see how she likes it.

#70224 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Blue Buffalo is a bit of a slippery slope around here.

I’ll lead off by saying that the reviews are written in such a way that it is as unbiased as possible, following the same formula for every food. Ingredient Panel, Guaranteed Analysis which Dr Mike and team convert to dry matter to equally rate all foods. That’s all.

On paper, several Blue Buffalo formulas look quite nice.

All of that being said, it is up to the consumer to do the research from there. The forums and the review comments section are great to find out what you need to know. Blue Buffalo has been found to not be so honest about their ingredients, and the ingredient panel isn’t always what’s in the bag. Many, many dogs have had issues that they shouldnt, and people try to figure out why. They also don’t care to disclose information like who manufactures their food (its almost never themselves)

I avoid them like the plague. Taste of the Wild is manufactured by Diamond, a company of just as ill repute as Blue. The ratings are just the start of what you need to look for, and neither of those brands-while rated highly-will ever go near my dogs.

#70225 Report Abuse
    homzie

I am definately learning a lesson here! I am just so glad that my dog quit eating…honestly! Or she might have had some irreversible damage! I am also reading that there was a recall back in 2010 about very high amounts of Vitamin D in their food.

I am happy to say that Blue Buffalo has responded very quickly after I contacted them. I think they are just thinking that my dog eats whatever she wants and scraps, rawhides, etc…but they will not find that in this case. Our dog eats only grain/wheat free foods and treats and eats healthy….until now! I am curious to see what they will do. I will not be buying their foods ever again and the part that upsets me is the money wasted. The food is NOT cheap…it is double what I was paying.

#70226 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    #70227 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

It’s not cheap, and they do a helluva job marketing. There are no foods i can think of that i’ve seen a commercial for that I would feed

#70231 Report Abuse
    Jennifer H

What about using a roational diet with your dog so she doesn’t get bored? Finding 3 or so foods that work well with her and rotating every week or two so she stays interested. You could also look at using wet food toppers (cutting back some of the dry so she doesn’t put on weight) so there’s always something different and enticing her to eat. Just a spoonful or two mixed with the dry does the trick for a lot of dogs, and you can usually stretch the can about a week. I think I saw Farm & Fleet had several nice varieties of canned food, and Walmart also has their Pure Balance line and the Rachael Ray tubs.

#70232 Report Abuse
    homzie

I may try that. Thanks for reminding me about that! I just had thought though that you were supposed to stick to the same kind so to not upset the stomach??

#70233 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

The only reason that dogs can’t tolerate change is when they aren’t used to it. If you introduce a rotational diet slowly, their stomach will be able to change food from one to the next. Just like people, if you ate mashed potatoes and boiled chicken for a year, you wouldnt be able to tolerate anything else right off the bat. I introduce a rotational diet as young as possible, so that they can change bags from one to the next seamlessly. Some even rotate each meal. Start slow, after a few bags, you can do it no sweat

#70234 Report Abuse
    homzie

Thanks for the info! I’m gonna do it. One more question-do you know of any wheat/grain free dog foods that are for diet control? Our dog needs to lose some weight. Seems hard to find any (again it has to be from Walmart or Farm & Fleet).

#70238 Report Abuse
    Jennifer H

I would just cut back on the amounts your feeding, and look for the kcals per cup on the back of the bag, and match it to feeding for her ideal weight. For example, lets say she weighs 50lbs, and you want her to weigh 40. Figure out how many kcals a 40lb dog needs per day, and then match that to how many kcal per cup of the food (I think DFA has a calculator floating around here for that) to see what you should be feeding, as each variety of food varies in its kcal amount. Also factor in any treats she may be getting and any table scraps, as they count towards her total caloric intake.

Some dogs need to be fed less than the amounts suggested just because they are so prone to weight gain unfortunately. Just as some dogs need to be fed more if they have difficulty keeping weight on.

#70241 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I’ve never used a weight loss food. If they start getting a bit chunky i reduce the food a bit of what they are eating. I also keep protein to a maximum and carbs to a minimum (for kibble, they always have more carbs than canned and raw) which helps keep them in shape. A quick glance at farm and fleets website, the only brand im comfortable with is Wellness. I didnt see it online, but perhaps in store they have Wellness CORE. I’ve heard of people using Wellness CORE reduced weight or whatever it’s called with success, so maybe try that. Depending on what you are switching from, if its a lower quality food you would be feeding a lot less on any wellness than you would on that, and the better ingredients will assist in natural weight loss

#70755 Report Abuse
    homzie

I am worried about my dog. It seems ever since she was on the Blue Buffalo-she has no appetite at all anymore…even with switching to a different brand of food now. She does not eat like she used to and she is drinking more water. Has me very concerned.

#71357 Report Abuse
    Amy G

I just started a small pet store and was looking for a high quality pet food that was a good price ā€“ I came across a company called Lifeā€™s Abundance ā€“ Itā€™s developed by a vet and is very healthy for all types and sizes of dogs- It only has small and large breed puppy, All stages, weight management and cat choices. It is very easy to choose what to buy and the best thing of all you can order online and it ships directly to your house. The original foods have chicken meal for the first ingredient but I called the company and they explained that it is chicken breasts that are dehydrated and turned into meal ā€“ this company uses no preservatives so it has been made from 4 to 8 weeks when it arrives at your door. If you want to watch a video for information go to https://vimeo.com/lifesabundance
    If you want to order you can go to my site at healthypetswer.com and it will ship to your house. PLEASE watch the video first it is very impressive !!!!
    Amy
    Paws & Whiskers Boutique and Biscuits
    pawsandwhiskersbiscuits@gmail.com

#72274 Report Abuse
    mike m
    #72283 Report Abuse
    homzie

That is a very interesting article. I did contact Blue Buffalo a while back when my dog was sick and they told me that their food has a money back guarantee and I could return it with a receipt, but I had already thrown my receipt out. This really pisses me off about the false claims. I wasted a crap ton of money on that stuff. What a rip off!

#72563 Report Abuse
    Stick b

I know the Owen or the company I can help ANYBODY that is having trouble with their products.. We are dog loves also and I know how to get TO THE TOP of any company. I do NOT and WILL not ever feed Blue Buffalo food to our dog EVER PASS

I do now know if I can post the Owner of the company’s CELLS phone number on this web site, if I can, I WILL

#72607 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

sorry Stick….who can decipher for me?

#72609 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I think they are writing they know the owner of BB and are offering help to people that have issues with BB. They know how to contact the right people of any company and would never feed BB to their dog.

They are questioning if they can post the owner’s cell numbers.

IDK, that’s my best deciphering of the post.

#72615 Report Abuse
    Stick b

I don’t know if I can post the phone number of the man in charge of business development for the company I do have the corporate address where people can send their dog food and any veterinary bills and request a refund but I don’t want to violate the policy of this web site

But I do have a phone number that will get you quick action

I am a consumer advocate and very well-known on the Internet I’m not trying to promote myself I’m trying to help people who love dogs and cats

#72622 Report Abuse
    homzie

The only problem for me is…I did contact them and they did respond. I told them I had a brand new bag of BB that I had just opened…but I do not save receipts for things like this. I never would have guessed this food was making my dog so sick. I had just spent nearly $40 on a bag I have to dump out! Pisses me off.

#72624 Report Abuse
    Stick b

My name is Stick Bogart. I know how to get in touch with just about anybody that I want to talk to. Do a little research on my name I’m here to help anybody that has a problem with this dog food company. Dogs and cats were put on this planet for us to love and take care of and defend. That’s what I plan to do. If somebody can contact this website and find out if I can post contact information on this website I will do that I will post a physical address for you mail everything that you want to get a refund on and I will post a personal cell phone number of the company manager a number that you cannot get your hands on

#72636 Report Abuse
    Stick b

I will do whatever I can to help anybody that has problems with blue Buffalo’s products. I just need somebody to contact this website and find out if I can post addresses and phone numbers on this website I’m a consumer advocate and I do whatever I can to help the American public especially dog and cat lovers

#192779 Report Abuse
    Patty T
    Participant

I am sitting in an emergency vet clinic as I am typing this. My mini golden doodle has been having bloody emesis (last week) and BLOODY diarrhea today with loose stools all week. This is the 3rd vet we have been to-ER Vet and family vet last week, and now an ER vet where our vacation home is this wkend. This vet has said that they are seeing an increase of these types of symptoms with dogs that are being fed Blue Buffalo products. I started feeding my Luna Buffalo Blue about 2 months ago. At first she LOVED it – she is a picky eater – and little by little she started trying to cover it up and eating less and less of it and more of her dry food (different brand, which she wouldnā€™t eat before). They were thinking HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis). Probably brought on by the Blue Buffalo.
    What do u suggest? So FARā€¦ my vet bills are over $1700, and she isnā€™t out of the woods yet. I signed a form to do everything they can to save her (unless it will create too much pain for her). She is my daughterā€™s dog, but she is my grandbaby (my kids arenā€™t interested in children, so I LOVE my Granddog!!!). How can I get information on what is going on with issues with their food and will they help with vet bills?? I know-wishful dreaming-but a person has to try!!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Can I post my email – pjgthomas@yahoo.com.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.