Best Food For 4 Year Old Yorkie?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Best Food For 4 Year Old Yorkie?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Terry G

My friend’s very beloved four year old Yorshire Terrier has been on Stella and Chewy’s dehydrated raw food her whole life. Her favorite is “Duck, Duck, Goose”. Until recently, she did quite well on the food, but a few days ago she became very sick. The vet thinks she may have developed a food allergy. Does anyone have any recommendations for small dogs? The Yorkie only weighs about four pounds. My friend was advised not to feed canned food because Yorkie’s are notorious with having dental problems caused by the canned food sticking to their teeth. Any help and recommendations will be truly appreciated! Thank-you!
    Terry

#73894 Report Abuse
    Rhonda L

Since she was doing well on the dehydrated raw, how about trying another brand and protein? The Honest Kitchen, Grandma Lucy’s, Primal… all good options. As for her teeth, our yorkiepoo loves a nice leisurely gnaw on a recreational bone or bully stick.

#73917 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Terry-

Dogs aren’t born with allergies, they develop them over time through overexposure to the same food. Even though you were feeding an excellent quality dehydrated raw diet, you didnt vary the proteins she got, hence the sudden onset of the allergy.

As for the myth about the wet food making the teeth worse, its just that, a myth. Every dog needs their teeth brushed regularly just like a human in order to avoid dental problems. Raw meaty bones are also probably the best thing to clean the teeth like Rhonda suggested. And if you were rehydrating the raw as you should its no different than the wet food getting on her teeth.

I would suggest keeping her on the dehyrated raw diet but changing the protein source and even brand, obviously now avoiding whatever protein she is allergic to.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.