šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    marcyb193

We adopted a 6 year old (dropped off in front of the adoption place) 3 weeks ago. We have taken him to the vet and all of his shots are current. We are feeding him Pedigree and canned chicken 2x per day. He has diarehia (pure liquid) about every other day. (Usually in the house). I walk him 5x per day. We live in the mountains. If he goes outside it’s on the pavement. He pees in the grass but poops on the pavement. We have no history on the little guy. He is adorable, but I am running out of patience with going in the house. Any ideas? Also, how much should we feed him? Thank you,

#35324 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I have a rescued yorkie. He was 2 when I got him and now he is 6. First thing get him off pedigree it is a horrible food. Try something like nutrisource puppy and small dog chicken. How much does he weigh or how much should he weigh then feed him that amount . Try adding digestive enzymes and probiotics to his food,it should help with the loose stools. You can also try adding about a teaspoon of pumpkin not the pie filling but pure pumpkin t his food. Yorkies are very hard to potty train but a 6 year old should be easier than a puppy. Take him out often and say go potty when he does give him a treat. He will eventually get it. This is my very favorite breed. They are like little people. Read the forums on hear and you will learn a lot. Maybe Sandy will give you some ideas she has small breeds. Good luck! I feed my yorkie canned food. It’s better than kibble .

#35326 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

When you are in the house, keep him right with you with a leash on him tied around your waist or in a crate so he can’t wander off and find a potty place in the house. When you have him going potty outside reliably that way, then start letting him have a little free time in the house. Hang a bell on a string on the door at his level and teach him that when he bumps the bell, you will take him outside. When he puts 2 and 2 together and starts ringing the bell to tell you when he needs to go outside, he will be ready for more free time in the house. When he has gone about 4 months without pottying in the house, you can consider him potty trained, not until then.

#35331 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

My yorkie could not be crated because of a former bad experience he would get so stressed he foamed at the mouth. Yorkies are very sensitive little dogs but very smart.I kept mine gated off in the kitchen when I was gone and I was lucky to be able to stay home with him which made it a lot easier. It took me 2 weeks to potty train him and he hasn’t had an accident since and he has free roam of the house. They do tend to sometime have sensitive stomached. When mine has gas and loose stools, I boil chicken breast an cook white rice cut the chicken in small pieces and mix with rice and a little fat free chicken broth. I don’t keep him on this but about a week because it’s not a complete diet but u can add the chicken to the kibble or canned after he’s better.make sure u add digestive enzyme and probiotic. It will help with loose stools.

#35368 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

First, Pedigree is low quality food. Can you upgrade a bit? Second, you’ll need to treat him like a puppy. Take him out after eating, drinking, playing….take him out on a leash, always. Use a term when you exit the house, such as “potty”; use the same term when you’re in the potty spot. When you can’t have your eyes on him, tether him to you or crate train him. Remember that accidents are accidents but this is a dog; when accidents happen, it’s the humans fault.

Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.