🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 37 posts - 151 through 187 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    theBCnut

Just remember that dog food should be stored in an air tight cool dry dark place, because environmental factors affect the quality of the food. Heat, fresh air, and light in particular break down the fats in dog foods. So the best way to store it is under air conditioning/indoors in it’s original bag with the top rolled down and all the air squeezed out. In the Winter heat is not so much a factor, but over the Summer, the garage is not a good place to store dog food, and here in FL that’s 3/4 of the year.

#29371 Report Abuse
    kortney812
    Participant

This is an awesome thread! I am so glad I stumbles upon it!
    I work at a PetSmart in Florida so I try to stick with foods from there to take advantage of my 15% discount. The only brands we have that I really consider is the Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Wellness Core. But both are SO expensive! I was actually looking more into all the foods we carry to see if there was something cheaper but I am really not a fan of anything else :/. I never knew about the Wellness $5 off coupons though, that’s awesome! Also, for anyone who buys big bags, PetSmart is doing the $5 off bonus bucks right now so if you print the online coupon and buy a big in store you could get $10 off a bag, plus if you get the petsupermarket coupons or others as well that s a good deal!
    Akari, you are extremely helpful I may be able to keep my dogs on the two foods for now thanks to all your coupon info!!!!! I only go through 3 1/2 cups a day with my to dogs but I also have a Uromastyx, snakes, leopard gecko, guinea pig, a cat, and a horse so it all adds up! You guys are awesome!

#29377 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

The only reason it’s in the garage is because it’s cooler out right now. It’s usually in the pantry, but it’s full of human food ATM (for once LOL). Since I buy small bags, it’s usually fits right in the cabinet over top the human food.

Hey, another FL person! That’s good you guys get a discount! I wish we got one at Publix lol I would go with Core over BB, personally. But as I said earlier in the thread, Core is my favorite grain free food. But I like to switch it up, so I do try most everything. I’ve not used the dry BB, but I’ve used some of the cans. The dogs seem to like Pro Plan cans best, plus I get them free, so that’s what they mainly get for canned mixers, but I like to have fun with my dry food purchases.

Seems we’ve got a similar line up of pets! I’ve got the three dogs, a Mali Uromastyx, three leopard geckos, about two dozen goldfish (I have a goldfish problem… I have a 150+ gallon tank in the works for my 6 indoor fancies LOL), and several tropicals. Between the fish, I have almost 400 gallon of water worth of ponds and aquariums.

What kind of Uro do you have? Did you get yours at PetSmart or a show? We got Rex about 4 years ago at our local PetSmart. My Leos all came from breeders at various Repticon conventions :p Are you near the Pinellas County type area? I buy all my feeder inscects at White Hot Dragons, in (what I call, but may not actually be) St Pete. They are super cheap, and have better quality bugs, as well as a variety 🙂

Use those coupons, girl! Save some money! 😉 I bought $25 worth of etcetera for $8 today at PetSmart Lol

#29403 Report Abuse
    kortney812
    Participant

I like Core more than just about any food out there and my dogs look fantastic on it but I do like to rotate and BB is really the only other brand except maybe Castor and Pollux but there never seems to be any deals/coupons or anything on it.
    I have a big fat female Mali Uro 🙂 I got mine from a friend who got her from a show. I try to get most of my reptiles from shows, they are much cheaper! Im in Lake County area, Ive been thinking about ordering the insects online and see how that goes, I get some coupons from work for like buy so many mealworms get crickets free and things like that but its still pretty expensive.
    If only I could find more coupons for BB! Their website seems to remember if youve done the comparison thing for the $5 coupon. How often do you do the wellness one?

#29405 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’ll get the dry Pro Plan every now and then. They send out great coupons for it, up to $5 off. And then PetCo usually has $3-5 off coupons on it as well. Combine with a sale, and you get it SUPER cheap! The trick is buying small bags, instead of bigger ones.

Reptiles really are much cheaper and a better quality at shows. I would only buy from shows, but I made a joke about a cute lizard I wanted at PetSmart (Rex) for Christmas, and my parents got him for me LOL Thus, I started into reptiles with one of the worst starter reptiles on the planet XD But I love him and don’t mind dumping all my money on his UV bulbs and crap. Two years after I got him, I got my first leopard gecko, a female Dreamsickle I named Amelia, and then this year, I got my second in my march, a male Snow named Rowen, and another male in September at the FirExpo (where I also got Amelia), a tangerine lavender, Raven. Love my “yizards” to death :3

I just tried to use one of those cricket coupons yesterday LOL I didn’t realize it had expired on the 1st. Whoops! I’ve actually started breeding my own meal worms for my guys staple, and then I’ll still by crickets, supers, roaches and waxworms as a treat. I’m spending so much on feeders that I don’t have money money left at the end of the week for, you know, bills and gas and stuff? LOL

Most companies don’t check if you’ve gotten a coupon before or not, except by tracking your ip address, so you can print multiple coupons on various computers, and then you can also email them and ask for one in the mail. Did you get that BB $5 off any bag, $1 off any can, and $0.50/$1 off any treats thing in the mail? I’ve got some of those I need to use, as they expire at the end of the year….

Because I tend to buy several months worth of dog food over a week or so period, I only print the coupons out a few times a year, 10 at a time. But I’m pretty sure they are reset monthly. Just try every couple weeks, doesn’t hurt! 🙂

#29409 Report Abuse
    kortney812
    Participant

I just have one gecko for now she’s a blizzard but I plan on getting another just waiting to find one for a good price again. How did you get multiple coupons for BB in the mail? I was only able to get one of each.

#29414 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

By “some” I meant the set, sorry lol But if you’re friends with your neighbors you can always use their addresses and have them give them to you.

#30508 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Good news! My local fish/pet store just started carying NutriSource! They only have grain free right now, but I asked the guy (known them for years– been buying fish from them for 15+ years) if they could get the Super Preformance and he said yes. However, I’d probably have to buy the whole case. I’ll have to work that out LOL

Anyways, the 30 pounders are $30-40 depending on the flavor, and I scored one of each flavor of the grain free samples, and a couple $2 off 15 pounds and larger coupons. Whoop whoop! When I actually need dog food, I’ll investigate further. I can also take advantage of their frequent buyer program (buy 12 get 13th free). I’m pretty psyched to try this food out on the dogs! Can’t wait till I start to run low on the Purina One 🙂

#30530 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

I feel the same way about dog food. It’s always exciting when supplies get low and I can buy something new! Aren’t we a bunch of weirdos! LOL!

#30647 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hello, all, and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it!

Just wanted to pitch in with my happiness and joy of a Christmas “gift”!

This month I was so happy to collect my local Petland’s coupons from the trash that people did not want – I got over 20 I am sure. They have $11.99-off a bag of Vets Choice Holistic Health Extension and also $10-off $25-and-over purchase store-wide. The thing is, they expire in February. So, I just gave them as gifts to my friends with pooches, hoping that they would switch them from the lower-quality food they feed to the 4-star Vets Choice and Earthborn Holistic.

Speaking of, I kept 3 of the coupons for myself so I will be getting 14-lb bags each of Earthborn Holistic’s Primitive Natural, Coastal Catch, and Plains Feast, and 4-lb bags each of the Vets Choice Original, Lamb and Rice, and Grain Free. This way Bruno will be set for all of 2014, should the expiration dates on the bags permit! I am so excited! 🙂

Happy Holidays!

#32316 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey guys!

I’m in the homestretch of food (got about a month or two worths left). In the mean time, I’ll be saving up to try my first round of Nutrisource Super Performance. If they do well on that, I’ll start going between my * and ** foods listed above (money provided), and whatever goodies I can get with coupons. My LPS sells NutriSouce grain free for the same price (more or less, as their prices vary with each flavor) as PetFlow. I also asked if they could order the Super Performance, and they said they likely could. If they can’t, then I’ve always got the grain free options. 🙂

#33064 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

So the grain free Nutrisource is cheaper (by a few cents) at the LPS, and the Super Performance is $60 for the 40 lb bag, which is $5 MORE than PetFlow…. Hmmm…. I may order that one online every now and then, and stick with the grain free for when I buy in store. I did some math and its only a few cents cheaper per meal, going by how much they’re eating now, for the Super Performance compared to the grain free ones.

On that note, I’m also seriously considering trying Diamond Naturals, the two that get 5 stars on here. Provided Pet Supermarket caries them, that is. I know they have a few flavors, but I’ve never fully investigated. I’m kind of weirded out by Diamond products, but I’ve used Kirkland and TOTW a few times with no problems, and my grandma used Kirkland for a while as well (but the bags were too big for her two small dogs lol). At the same time, its still Diamond, and we all know how they are. Yet people use all their foods every day for years with no problems. It would greatly reduce my feed bills, and I’d check for recalls before I bought any. Thoughts?

Side note: went to Publix today and scored on three pounds of turkey gizzards for 59 cents a pound! Dogs will have some yummies for a few days. Whoop whoop! 😀

#33073 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If the food comes from the South Carolina plant, I wouldn’t risk it. Dogs and people die before their recall ever goes out and they are the plant that is always involved in the recalls.

#33079 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Where would I find that out? Being in Florida, my chances don’t look good.

#33082 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Akari 32-
    You could click on the recalls tab above and bring up the previous recalls to see which states were usually involved. I know what you mean. The Diamond products are so tempting. Most appear to be great budget friendly foods. I work for Costco and we sell hundreds of bags of the Kirkland and Nature’s domain foods without incident. I live in the NW and we have not been affected by most recalls (supposedly). I’m still a little leery and still have not started using it again. But with it being almost two years, I’m tempted. Not sure if that means they’ve figured it out or are about due for another one! Hopefully, they have tightened their quality control because I know thousands of dogs are eating it. I think Taste of the Wild is one of the most popular foods along with Blue Buffalo sold in our area. Good luck, but I think you are right about Florida being one of the states affected in the past.

#33092 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Being from Florida, you are definitely getting Diamond product from the SC plant if you buy it locally. We have been affected by every single Diamond recall.

#33097 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I wonder if I can talk to the management at Pet Supermarket and see if they get all their Diamond products (TOTW, BB, Canidae, Solid Gold, and whatever else) from the SC plant or not, and if they do, if I can talk them into getting it from another one. Where are is the next closest plant?

Also, is there a way to look anywhere on the bag to see where the food is manufactured? Like lot number, UPC, fine print, or anything?

#33142 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

So I went into Pet Supermarket and talked to the manager about their Diamond foods. The only carry chicken, beef, and lamb adult formulas, as well as the lamb large breed. I asked if he could get any of the puppy foods, or the grain free and he said he’s only allowed to order what the chain as a whole carries. I asked him if he had anything similar and he pointed me to the Canidae ALS.

Since he didn’t have either of the two I was looking for, I didn’t ask him if he knew which plant they got the food from. I decided to wait and look into them and see if I liked any before going any further. Anyone have a reccomendation out of these? (None of the above is also an option lol).

#33169 Report Abuse
    Naturella

This is probably ignorant, but are Blue Buffalo and Canidae also Diamond products?

Akari, to your question, I would guess that you just need to proceed with caution for any Diamond food you choose to get.

I checked my local Petland and since I still have their coupons (to be fully used by the end of the month, for what looks like a lifetime supply of food (62lbs) for Bruno (for $80), I was, and still am, REALLY tempted to get him some TOTW. I just love how the recipe sounds, plus how the price tag looks… I need to ask them where the TOTW came from though.

#33175 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Aleksandra-
    No, Blue Buffalo is not a Diamond product. But, Canidae still uses Diamond for some of their manufacturing and they are a little sketchy about which of their products still come from the Diamond plants. I’m with you on the TOTW food. It looks very tempting.

#33176 Report Abuse
    Rambunctious

TOTW was one of the brands my vet said to stay clear of along with diamond, can soup dog soul, blue buffalo (due to recent issues). But then again they also RECOMMEND Science Diet/Hills , Purina Pro plan..

#33177 Report Abuse
    Rambunctious

Alex- what coupons are those?!

#33180 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Crazy4Cats, thanks for the info on BB. I have used it before on my Bruno with great success, no problems whatsoever, but I do understand that it could be risky. I will keep it in my rotation though, and just watch closely for signs of any ailment in my pup.

As for the rest, Canidae Pure (the GF) and TOTW are foods I am REALLY eying right now, lol. It is a risk though, but my friend feeds the red meat and the lamb ones of TOTW with no problem to her lab… So we’ll see, I will ponder upon it some more.

Rambunctious, the coupons I get are from my local Petland and they are for 1 free (4-lb) bag of Vets Choice Holistic Health Extension – HHE (up to $11.99 value, can be applied to any size bag), and also:
    $10 off of any purchase of $25 or more
    $50 off of any purchase of $200 or more
    $100 off of any purchase of $300 or more
    store wide.

I think they sent those coupons to one particular apartment complex where I used to live, and I still have some from before I moved… I wish they sent them to my current one, I may need to ask them if they could please do that, lol.

But yes, with those coupons I am stocking up on Earthborn Holistic – the GF ones (3 bags @ 14lbs each), and HHE (3 bags @ 4lbs each), and if I get two 4lb bags of TOTW or Canidae Pure, I will have 62 lbs of food for $80. If instead I get one 14lb or 15lb bag of something more trusted (like HHE or Earthborn again), I can have 68-69lbs of food for the same $80. I would say either route to go is quite cost-efficient, plus, my 11.5-lb terrier mix, who eats about 1 cup/day (or less) will be set for at least the whole year, I think, with this much food! He is still working on a Dr. Tim’s-Nutrisca-HHE GF mix that he has a bunch of, at least 1-2 months’ worth of, so yeah… he will be pretty good on food for not a lot of money, I just hope he likes Earthborn!

#33192 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’ve used TOTW a few times in the last with no troubles. Bought the small bags for Bentley for the longest time while we were trying to figure out his allergies, and then bought two large bags of the orange puppy one back to back not too long ago. The first bag Bentley liked, but the second he hated. The other dogs were fine on it , so I think it was the fish one in the wrong bag (he hates fish LOL). So, we’ve had like 6-7 bags with no real problems.

Wow, good job Aleksandria! I don’t think you’ll ever have to buy dog food again XD

BB isn’t made by Diamond? I thought they were….

#33201 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Akari,

I see. I may just give TOTW or Canidae Pure a chance. 2 small bags it is, and just hope Bruno takes to them well. In any case, if not, I will toss them shits and not buy again.

Yeah, I was even thinking of going back to my old apartment complex and scouting for some more coupons or just asking Petland to deliver them to my new apartment complex, BUT, Bruno can’t possibly eat all this food by the time the coupons expire and I can’t possible store 2 years’ worth of food under my sink along with my own belongings… But, if I do get more coupons, I will surely give them to friends with pups and ask local stores such as PetSmart, PetCo, etc. if they can match them… OOOH! If so, I would stock up on Wellness Core and as long as it’s good by mid-late 2015, I AM GETTING IT! lol. I want to put Bruno on Wellness so bad, but for as little cash as possible! So if these coupons work, booyah!

P.S. How can I post a picture on here? I wanted to show you guys the coupons, maybe you can print them out and ask your local Petland for a similar deal.

#33210 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Make a photobucket account and use the IMG or direct link codes. That’s what I do for other forums.

#34184 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hey guys!

I had a little bit of time to kill (yay for 3 am…?), so I went through and refined my list to 25% protein and above, and 450 calories per cup and above. There are also three that were close and cheap enough for me to maybe one day consider, which are separated at the end. This really helps me narrow down my food choices! There were so many I really didn’t even know where to begin, other than with Nutrisource because it’s available locally now. Anyways, heres my list!

Dr. Tim’s Pursuit Active
    Merrick Classic Puppy Real Chicken, Brown Rice and Green Apple
    Healthwise Chicken Meal and Oatmeal
    Nutrisource Performance
    Nutrisource Super Performance
    Nutrisource Small and Medium Breed Puppy Chicken and Rice
    Nutrisource Grain Free Chicken
    Nutrisource Grain Free Lamb

Precise Endurance Formula
    Precise Small and Medium Breed Puppy
    Eagle Pack Power

Also on my mental list is Diamond Naturals and Grain Free (BIG maybe. That one will depend on finances, really), Wellness Small Breed Complete Health Toy, and Wellness Small Breed Complete Health Puppy. I plan on going to the local pet store tomorrow and seeing what of these they can order, and how much they would be. I also have to go to Pet Supermarket and confirm that they have the two Wellness foods, and their prices for the small bags (which I will only purchase with coupons, given the price), because their website SUCKS.

Why is it that small breed foods always look better than large breed ones? Dog food should be dog food, I’m just sayin’!

#34195 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’m also gunna add Pro PAC to my list, despite the corn. At almost 600 calories per cup for the puppy performance, that’s suuuuuuper tempting, if the price is right. Anyone use Pro Pac before? Gets a good rating.

#34444 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hello, budget-conscious people (like myself)!

So, early this year my now husband and I purchased this calendar from PetCo with a TON of coupons inside.

I have clipped all of them except the small animals coupons, but I intend to clip them too. Of all the coupons, there are some I would not possibly be able to use, so I am putting them up here for grabs.

Shout out to Akari – I know you have some reptiles, maybe fish, plus the 3 dogs, so you can have dibs on the coupons, IF you want them!

They are for:
    $5 off Beneful – one bag, any size
    $5 off Canyon Creek Ranch – one bag, any size
    $5 off Purina One – one bag, any size
    $5 off Purina Pro Plan – one bag, any size
    $5 off Eukanuba – one 14lbs or larger bag
    $5 off Eukanuba EXCEL – one 14lbs or larger bag

Plus some more coupons for non-food related items.

Also, I can mail the small animal coupons since I have no friends with small animals, but they are a lot, so I don’t want to list them all…

I promise I am not a creeper (I will need an address to mail the coupons to), I just want to share some deals if anyone is interested. Now, I know these foods are by far not the best out there, but they COULD be a good deal if coupon is combined with other sales in the store (or matched by another store), and when mixed with a better food, it may be ok. As I said, up for grabs, if anyone wants them.

If anyone does, feel free to email me at: aninova@kennesaw.edu or contact me on Facebook – my name on it is Aleksandra Ninova.

Thanks, guys, and let me know! If nobody on here wants them, I can find a local shelter or something to donate them to, if they will take them.

#34447 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hi best friend!!!! 😉 (creeper code for “check your email!”)

#34449 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hey! GRRR, my email crashed, may need to restart! But I got you, friend! 🙂

#34450 Report Abuse
    Naturella

It worked! You can just email me now about the stuffs! 🙂

P.S. Coupons have been claimed, all!

#36655 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Just thought I’d stop in and let you guys know that I just thee $2 off any 6.6 pound or larger bag of EVO dog food in the mail yesterday! Yay! They expire in June, I think, so I need to get on that, but I’m super excited to use them 😀 I’ll probably give them to mom for use for Bentley, unless they go on sale and I can get the 13.2 pound (or whatever size they are) bags for a good price for the big dogs.

#36671 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Good deal! How did you get the coupons? Did you sign up for anything?

#36676 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Just gotta ask! I emailed them a while a back and asked if they every offered any promotions or coupons and a lady emailed me back and said she’d be happy to send some coupons my way.

#36680 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Glad I asked, thank you!

#36684 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

It’s only $2, but hey $2 is $2!

Viewing 37 posts - 151 through 187 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.