šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ed E
    Participant

Some ratings for a particular brand dog food is 5 star but then some may show 2.5 star for some ingredients. For example Stella and Chewy chicken freeze dried is 4.5 stars but the. Lamb and duck is only 2,5 stars … makes it hard to understand since you always review only the highest rating. Many would like to know why the rating is lower?

#153260 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Hope someone can correct me if I’m wrong. I believe the lower ratings for a particular protein/flavor are so because of a higher fat to protein ratio. I stick to the 5* in Stella’s freeze dried . Higher fat would be a problem if your dog is prone to pancreatitis.

#153261 Report Abuse
    Ed E
    Participant

Perhaps this is the reason. The protein to fat ratio is very
    similar across the chicken, beef, and lamb so not sure
    that explains the 1.5 rating difference.

#153302 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

I’m going to email DFA and ask for explanation on his criteria for the * ratings on this brand. A few months ago his rating for their freeze dried turkey was 5* but the raw was 2.5* I believe. I asked why and they corrected the freeze dried to the lower rating. I’ll post when they answer. I also use primal freeze dried. I notice the calories with the same protein is much lower then the Stella’s so I think lower in fat? I alternate since my one Chihuahua tends to get chubby with the Stella’s.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Patricia A.
    #153309 Report Abuse
    Ed E
    Participant

Thanks.. I feed 2 beef and 2 duck or lamb plus 2 Primal Turkey & sardine daily plus probiotics and digestive enzymes . My dog has a slight allergy to chicken so that was why I wanted clarification. Did not have an Email for DFA.

#153388 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Ed E this is DFA reply…

Thanks for your email. For the last 6 years, we have prepared, posted and maintained more than 1000 dog food reviews representing some 4100 different recipes. Although every recipe is analyzed together with all the other “siblings” in its product line, we select one example and discuss it in detail in every review published on our website.

In many cases, we award a higher or lower star rating for specific recipes — known as “outliers”. There are a number of reasons why we might assign different star ratings to different recipes within the same product line. And the most common cause for these variations is typically due to our estimate of the meat content of a particular recipe. Or in some cases, we observe a higher or lower fat-to-protein ratio.

If you check the protein, fat and carbohydrate figures for a product, you should be able to see this difference.

Hope this helps.

Jackie B.
    Community Support
    The Dog Food Advisor

To view the entire conversation please click here

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Patricia A.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.