šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    IsabelleR

Hi,
    I’m new to this site and am seeking dietary advice. My 16 year old Jack Russell was just diagnosed with diabetes after we noticed she had started drinking lots of water for about two days. Her blood sugar was in the 600s and she had traces of ketones. She has had inflammatory bowel disease for years and takes .625 mg prednisolone daily along with being on the Royal Canine hypoallergenic potato and venison prescription diet. The diabetes came on quite suddenly — her blood was checked monthly as she was recently on 6 months of chemotherapy and glucose was always around 90 or so. She also has a heart murmur for which she takes Enalapril. She is not overweight, but lost a pound in the past two weeks, so is skinny at 15 pounds. The vet started her on 2units of Humulin N twice daily, and just increased her to 3 units twice daily after her glucose curve. Because of all of her conditions, he suggested taking a conservative approach and also to keep her on her current diet, minus any treats. Any suggestions on a more appropriate food for her, that would also work with her IBD – she can have duck or venison, although I switched her off of duck about a year ago after she had a mild case of pancreatitis. Thank you — I’m feeling helpless and desperate.

#31128 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

She has enough different issues that I don’t know if anyone here can help you. The diabetes needs a low starch diet. The panceatitis needs a low fat diet. IBD often needs a low fiber, no grains diet. I would recommend consulting with a veterinary nutritionist for a homemade, possibly homemade raw, diet, because it sound to me like she needs a diet based on low fat meat and the necessary vitamins/mineral and not much else.

#31292 Report Abuse
    IsabelleR

Thank you for your response. My little angel does have a lot of challenges, but she has such a sweet and strong spirit. This diabetes is a tough one, though, and is already taking a toll on her. I need to figure out how to help her and soon. I will see if I can find a veterinary nutritionist, as you’ve suggested. In the meantime, do you have any recommendations on probiotics…she loves Prostora, but since the first ingredient is sucrose, I’m not giving it to her anymore. Also, I’ve bought some venison at the grocery store and plan to start adding that to her current food to increase the protein content and have replaced her venison and potato treats with venison jerky.
    Thanks, again.

#31296 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Mercola has a good digestive enzyme, but I don’t know if they add sugars to feed the enzymes.

#31461 Report Abuse
    IsabelleR

Thanks, I’ll check into it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.