šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jamie h

My 7 year-old girl (rescue so it’s really a guess),Twiggy, has a grade 3/4 heart murmur and I don’t want to put her on pharmaceutical meds. Anyone suggest a good mix of supplements? She has been on a raw diet before, but switched to kibble/canned mix for financial reasons, but would be willing to do it again, if that’s best. Also, I didn’t have to think about health conditions before. I was looking at Swanson’s raw heart pills, but wondering what else I should do. I also noticed a bit of harsh breathing, but it could be from the murmur? Thank you for your time!

• This topic was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by jamie h.
    #80864 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’d make an appointment with a holistic vet for advice.

#80866 Report Abuse
    jamie h

I want what’s best by my dog and I know (from experience) some vets have different interests. I would love to go to a holistic vet, but have yet to find one in my area, so I am stuck with a conventional one. I’m looking for people who have been through similar situations so I have an idea of what to expect and what helped them. So I don’t just do whatever a vet tells me, without question. I know every dog and every situation is different. I am here for educational proposes, not to play doctor.

#80867 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I don’t have a holistic vet in my area either; my new one, who our new puppy is seeing tomorrow, is 1:20 away.

#80869 Report Abuse
    CockalierMom

I have previous experience with a heart murmur and suggest that if you are wanting to educate yourself, you need to understand how the pharmaceutical meds will help before ruling them out. Ask your vet for the names of the medications and then do your own research on the meds without relying on what the vet says. I think you will find these meds will help her heart function and make her breathing easier. The meds really helped my girl for several years. With all the information on the internet now, there is never any reason to do just what the vet tells you without researching it first and understanding what you are dealing with.

I researched a number of supplements, herbs, and amino acids after my girl progressed from grade 1 to 2. If you want to give supplements, find a holistic vet to consult with, if you cannot drive to one. I am a firm believer in holistic medicine, but cannot recommend just using a holistic approach for a murmur that has progressed to a grade 3/4.

#80870 Report Abuse
    jamie h

I have been doing research on both pharmaceuticals and holistic herbs. Don’t worry, I’m consulting too (did I ever say I wasn’t?). I am hesitant to use meds because my dog has been sensitive anything she’s been Rx, but antibiotics. She vomited even when we cut her anti-inflammatory and pain meds in half (after she got bit by another dog, a while ago. She bounced back amazingly!). Side effects of some pharmaceutical meds are what they are supposed to be treating, among affecting other organs as well. The companies wouldn’t make as much money if they actually helped people and animals.
    Sounds like hawthorn berry extract and home cooked salmon and Honest Kitchen food is the direction we’ll be taking.
    Possibly ganodermo mushrooms too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.