đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Recent Topics

#186028 Report Abuse
aimee
Participant

Hi M & C,

In my experience authors usually do not provide the names of the products they have tested. Sometimes a list of ingredients is provided and by searching on those ingredients you can make an educated guess as to what product was tested. This may be because the purpose is not to call out any one product, whose ownership and formulations can change quickly, but to provide overall assessment of what is available.

Also consider how litigious this industry has become. Veterinaries are being threatened for advising their clients or for making associations that implicate products. Recall Earth Animal threated to sue one of the authors of the dog chew paper, and as I recall a veterinarian down under was threatened with a lawsuit after making an association between a company’s products and a neurologic condition in cats. The veterinary nutritionist I consulted with shared that they had been threatened with lawsuits several times for dispensing nutritional advice. For all these reasons, authors and publishers may shy away from providing names.

I did read a paper on veterinary probiotics which listed brands. As I recall ~ 25 brands were tested and the only ones that were correctly labeled were the ones made by Iams and Purina.

I also recall an article testing thiamin levels in canned cat foods and a significant number were below AAFCO and I believe all were manufactured by small companies.

Yeah $58 for one article. I have the full text on that article and the dog chew one too. Sometimes you can get them through a library. Sometimes I’ve found them available for free at websites other than the publisher by searching on google scholar and some through the vet if published by JAVMA. Other times I buck up and buy them.

I do not know of any membership that has access to in depth unbiased information.

Recent Topics