🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Debbiep

My Polish Lowland Sheepdog is 12 years old – she has a sensitive stomach/IBS and I have to be careful what I feed her. She has been on Symply Salmon & Rice Dry food for over 2 years now – over the past 6 months/year she sometimes runs away from her bowl half way through eating, seems to choke a lot and her stomach goes in and out, she throws up her dinner, eats it again then goes back and finishes her dinner with no further problems.

I put her bowl on a small step as she has arthritis in her front legs and struggles to get down to floor level when eating and have split her dinner in half – feeding half at lunch time and half at dinner time – I also put water in with her biscuits.

I have taken her to the vets and they don’t seem to be able to help me – they suggested I syringed water down her throat before eating – but this made no difference and she didn’t like having the water squirted down her throat so I stopped.

Is there anything anyone can suggest as it is quite distressing to watch and I don’t seem to be able to do anything to help her – have tried patting her on the back when she is choking but this just gets me a dirty look!

#33352 Report Abuse

It sounds like she may be eating too fast and it’s causing her to choke. You could try a slow-feed bowl.

#33353 Report Abuse
    Debbiep

Our local pet shop sells them – I have tried just about everything else! Not sure why she suddenly started doing it though? I have had her from a puppy and I always feed her and my other dog in separate rooms, so that she doesn’t feel threatened or like she needs to eat it too fast.

I always keep the same routine too and sometimes she eats fine with no choking etc and other times it happens every day and every mealtime! Its so frustrating as I have conquered all her other problems!

I will keep you posted on if it works 🙂

#36690 Report Abuse
    Debbiep

Just to let you know – the slow feed bowl has helped! It hasn’t stopped her completely – but we have much less episodes now! I am still putting her bowl on a step and still splitting her meals throughout the day.

I will just add that when I first gave her the bowl – she did not like it one bit! She would step back from the bowl – look at it and then look at me, as if to say – what the hell do you think that is! But she soon realised that was all she was getting and got on with it!

Thank you for your help!

#36693 Report Abuse

No problem! I’m glad that the bowl helped.

#36698 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I ordered and received two Dog Games Slo Bowls from Chewy.com. These are very interesting. Bigger than I thought they’d be. We’ll see how they work tomorrow since one will have ground raw in his & the other will have a The Honest Kitchen in hers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.