šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Maikwe P

Has anyone else noticed that if Primal raw dog food is put in the microwave it reacts as if there might be metal in it? I have had this happen a couple of times over the last four months (different batches), but I have likely only microwaved six times over that period. I know not to microwave it, but if I am in a hurry in the morning and it still has ice crystals I will do it 6 seconds or so on defrost. Yesterday it starting cracking and popping hard the moment I turned on the power, and the “fire” and sparks coming from the dog food were stronger than any I ever observed in a microwave (as if a mug with metal in the decoration was in it, but a much larger blast of “fire”). It never does it with human food. My husband said about three months ago maybe there were tiny shavings coming off the metal grinder in the plant. I alternately use another raw food and have not had these happen with it. The other brand is a relatively newer brand and is not ground as fine as primal, and it is fermented. (By the way, I know microwaving counteracts the benefit of raw). I have been feeding raw food to two dogs for 10.5 years, both starting as young puppies, with no problems. Primal was my first raw food.

#73388 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

No I’ve never noticed it, I don’t microwave it but it’s ok if its still a little frozen. Why don’t you get a few days worth & put it in the fridge?

#73389 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

What other foods do you feed that’s fermented, Maikwe?

#73392 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Maikwe-
    That certainly is concerning. Have you contacted the company about the issue? I just bought a bag of the Primal nuggets, but haven’t opened them yet. I also sometimes put my dogs’ frozen raw in the microwave for a few seconds. I’ll definitely keep an eye on that. I don’t know if it is only metal that causes microwaves to spark or not? Definitely something to look in to. Thanks for the heads up. Also curious about what the fermented food is that you are currently feeding. I occasionally put a little sauerkraut in my dogs’ meals. I’ve read that fermented foods are really good for their (and ours) digestive tracts.

#73393 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi:
    I remember this topic coming up on one of the Freshpet review comment areas. I bookmarked this article from one of the posters that commented on this happening with Freshpet. IDK if there is any validity to it or not:
    http://www.eatyourbooks.com/blog/2013/11/8/why-microwaving-kale,-carrots,-or-other-vegies-can-create-sparks

#73415 Report Abuse
    Maikwe P

95% of the time we adequately pre-thaw, but out of caution I don’t let it sit more than two days in the refrigerator. The issue is not how it’s thawed, but whether I am feeding shavings off the metal grinders to my dogs, pre-thawed or slightly microwaved. If I did not understand you let me know.

#73416 Report Abuse
    Maikwe P

Thank you for the article that certain minerals in vegetables can create sparks in the microwave. Primal raw food has ground vegetables so maybe that is the issue. I am keeping an open mind and will show your link to my husband:
    http://www.eatyourbooks.com/blog/2013/11/8/why-microwaving-kale,-carrots,-or-other-vegies-can-create-sparks.

#73420 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Maikwe,

I’m still curious about the raw food you mentioned!

#73425 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

The only fermented food I can think of might be Answers. I’m a big advocate of fermented foods too! For Christmas, I have my dad a big batch of kimchi, a set of airlock jars and a book of fermented food recipes! I’m waiting for him to whip me up a batch of something!

#85181 Report Abuse
    Ted M

Same thing just happened to me! Perhaps some bone fragments spark? Scary stuff.

#103604 Report Abuse
    Bryan S

I asked this question in the past about canned pet food as well as raw. I was told at the time that it was the iron sulfate and magnesium sulfate in the product thats having this reaction, and that its safe for the pet to consume. Although i was and still am skeptical of that answer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.