šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tara M

Please help. I have a 11 month old GSD mix (resuce) who started showing signs of either food intolerance or beginnings of IBD or IBS (per vet). We have her on Proviable-DC, Pepcid, and an antibiotic (2nd round). My vet is pushing for a prescription diet, which I know them to use Hill’s, a brand I do not trust. I really would like to change her diet to something better in the hopes of eliminating all antibiotic usage, but am on a budget with three rescues in the home. Any advice? She has been on Authority Large Breed puppy (chicken formula) and Lamb and Rice.

#45582 Report Abuse
    Sandy H

Hi Tara,
    If your GSD MIX has loose stools and seems to go potty right after eating, save time and get her tested for EPI, insist if needed.
    Many vets seem to not be familiar with EPI, of which 80% are GSD. IT IS ENTIRELY MANAGEABLE, and can be affordable if you connect with the EPI group on yahoo groups.
    They can help with questions and even food treatment.

#45584 Report Abuse
    Tara M

What is EPI? I don’t recall hearing about this. Shyla does need to go directly after eating and will continue for about an hour straining to go and getting very little out for her effort.

#45586 Report Abuse
    Sandy H

Hi Tara,
    You can go here and read everything you could want to know.
    http://www.epi4dogs.com
    I had a jack Russell with EPI, and for most people, GETTING TO THE CORRECT diagnosis is the worst part, when your dog is sick and nothing seems to help.
    Good luck!

#45587 Report Abuse
    Tara M

As we speak, I’m perusing the site, and I’m not sure if she applies(I pray). She is still gaining weight steadily, even with all the issues. It is something I will definitely bring up with the vet, though, just to be thorough. Anything to get her on a better track. Thank you so much, there is still so much I don’t know about what a GSD is predisposed to and 80% is a lot!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.