šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Maureen S

I am a new member. I am surprised that there are foods on the Editor’s Choic list that are not 5 star. Why?

#87635 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Our star ratings are based solely on the content of the dog food label. And there’s a whole lot more to know about a dog food than what’s printed on the label.

Please keep in mind that there are many products with 5-star label ratings made by companies who never test their products for nutrient content, disease-causing bacteria (like Salmonella) or for deadly mold toxins.

To make our Editor’s Choice list, dog foods can be rated 3, 4 or 5-stars BUT they must also meet many other criteria as outlined in the following articles and FAQs on our website:

/choosing-dog-food/brand-guidelines/
    /frequently-asked-questions/about-editors-choice/

Never buy any dog food unless you first contact the company and ask each of the following 3 important questions:

1. Who makes your dog food (so you can check the real recall history)?

2. Where do you get your ingredients? You especially want to know if they get any of their protein-based ingredients from China or other countries known for their inferior food quality standards.

3. Do you test your foods for nutrient content, disease-causing pathogens (like Salmonella), and mycotoxins (mold toxins).

We realize most people don’t have the time or the patience to do all that important research work — which is why we created Editor’s Choice.

Hope this helps.

#87647 Report Abuse
    Lynn P

I am new to the site and I am having a hard time picking a dry dog food. I have looked at the Editors Choice list and I just can’t find one that is really all that good. I am currently feeding core wellness and Stella freeze dryed. Stella freeze dryed I an happy with, but not so happy with the core wellness. My little dog seems to itch a bit on it and she never has before. Could someone give some suggestions. Editor what do you feed your dogs?

#88414 Report Abuse
    Maria K

I like the Wellness Core Air Dried. There are some formulas of the Stella and Chewy’s Freeze Dried I would feed, but not all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.