🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Lisa C

So sorry to hear that about your baby girl 🙁 What are you currently feeding her?

#47243 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Oh Melissa, I’m so sorry to hear your news.

#47259 Report Abuse

Thanks guys. Its the one in the pix next to my name. Mitral valve issues are considered genetic in s hihtzu and she has been dealt a bad hand. Umbilical hernia, deformed tear ducts, premature ventricular contractions and now this. We were able to repair the first two but there is nothing to be done for the heart surgically. She eats a variety of brands and types of food.

#47264 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

So sorry to hear this. My new Cav has MVD and takes enalipril. Cavaliers are genetically predisposed, as well. We will be visiting the cardiologist every 6 months, too. (:

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    #47273 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Melissa, I’m sorry to hear about your girl.

#47277 Report Abuse

Thanks guys-its bad news, but we are hopeful that she does not show symptoms until much later in life and that through medication(when symptomatic) we will be able to prevent progression to chronic heart failure and she will lead a long ‘normal” life. She has been on fish oil forever due to the first problem, and I am going to add in Co q 10 “just because”

#47284 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Jan, aren’t you using Canine Cardiac Support from Standard Process? Maybe that’s something you might want to check into, to see if it’s right for your dog, Melissa.

#47292 Report Abuse

Hmm.. I will look into it!. Thanks!

#47294 Report Abuse
    losul

Melissa, I just got around to reading the forum side today. I too am very sorry to hear the news. Also, I am sorry i was harsh on the other side.

#47295 Report Abuse

Thanks Losul. No sorry needed. I am not typically one to get worked up long term over a non postings on websites. Lol. Its all good and every one scuffles from time to time 🙂

#47296 Report Abuse
    Dori

Melissa I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Hopefully your pup will remain asymptomatic and with a loving mom like yourself will live a long happy life.

Losul: I too would never put any of my dogs on prednisone without a definitive reason and after getting at minimum a second opinion. Putting pup on those meds is only masking what the real problem is which I believe is probably something in the food she’s feeding.

Lisa C: I would not put my dog if it was vomiting on a daily basis on any type of medication whatsoever without knowing definitively what the problem is. Nor would I have an endoscopy done on a dog that is in the condition that your dog is in. I don’t think he’d survive the surgery. My advice to you is to introduce slowly a commercial raw diet staying away from chicken and all poultry in the title and further down in the ingredient list. I’m not saying that poultry is the culprit but if that’s what I’m feeding then I would change the protein. Commercial raw foods that I feed are Natures Variety Instinct Raw, Primal Formula raw, Vital Essentials raw, Stella & Chewy’s Raw, Answers Detailed, Darwin’s Raw (only available on line directly from them on an auto order basis). Stay away from poultry, commercial raws are grain free (dogs do not need grains), stay away from white potato and tomatoes. The last two are inflammatory and your poor dog does not need anything to cause more inflammation that it’s going through. I would go to the store, buy one of the raws, also some digest enzyme, a can of pure pumpkin (not pie filling type) and immediately start transitioning your dog to a commercial raw food. Yes, of course your dog is going to initially have some diarrhea that will be due to his physical condition and the switch but that will right itself pretty quickly. I don’t mean to scare you but if your own vet is telling you that your dog looks like a survivor of a concentration camp and also won’t do surgery then I really don’t know what your waiting for to make the food change. Though I typically agree with ACV, I don’t in a case of constant vomiting due to its acidic nature that is worse coming up then going down. This is from my own personal experience with my illness and nausea and vomitting.

I don’t mean to sound so harsh and as if I’m scolding but I’m really quite concerned about your dog. I only found this particular forum today. I can’t believe has long this has been allowed to continue.

#47297 Report Abuse
    Dori

Lisa C. Also forgot to mention that one of my girls had two significant surgeries before the age of one. One surgery (dental) at 6 months the other (luxating patella) at 8 1/2 months old. It’s like having babies. You hope and pray that they will be strong healthy and that you can keep them safe. Some aren’t born quite so healthy but you love them just the same. Some are a breeze to raise and others not so much.

#47300 Report Abuse
    Jane E

I would change vets or at the very least get second opinion. Has she had a snap CPL test done to rule out pancreatisis? How do you feed…twice a day or does she free feed? It is best to feed twice a day as closely to 12 hours apart as possible otherwise the dogs stomach is empty for too long at a time. If you are home perhaps you can feed 3-4 smaller meals throughout the day too. I find that a Pepcid (maybe 1/2 pill dose) helps before going to bed at night because so many times the vomiting occurs between 3-6A

#47305 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

Hi Jane, our next step is a different vet. I’m not sure about the CPL test to be honest. I just know all of his tests they decided to do have been negative. We feed twice a day, once in morning, once around dinnertime. Do you just use regular pepcid? is it a pill?

#47307 Report Abuse

Did your dog keep down the canned or whatever you fed him yesterday and today?

#47313 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

He didn’t keep it down, it seems because he’s still vomiting up some of that dry that we gave him the other day (when the vet made us feel awful and told us to). The little bit of pumpkin he got seemed to really help him make some healthy looking stools though. The last of this Nutro wet can will be given to him tomorrow morning, and then I head to the store to find the suggestion on here “nature’s variety – instinct raw”. How long will he need to be on that to see any real difference? 1-2 weeks?

#47314 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Lisa, I just seen his picture, he’s a beautiful little boy..so little…he’d only weight a couple of kilos, oh you’d be able to carry him in a little bag & go shopping with him….if Chewy is still vomiting up the kibble that he had the other day, that means his stomach isnt working properly, When Chewy eats does he gulp his food quickly & not chew?? also when he vomites how long after eating does he vomit, straight away or hours later??? If he pooed the pumkin that means he mustn’t of spewed that meal or he helded most of it down, so what did he eat with the pumkin?? maybe stick with that meal for a bit cause you said that he did a healthy looking stool. Or start adding a little bit of boiled pumkin with whatever you feed him, also warm his meals.. my cat spews if his food is cold so I have to microwave for about 8 sec just to take off the chill…make him 3-4 small meals a day.. I have to do that with Patch as he cant handle large meals all at once..all of Patches blood test & Ultra Scan of his abdomin come back all good, it drives you mad when you’ve spent so much money at the vets & still dont know what’s wrong with them……

#47325 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

Hi sue,

this pic is of a little chewy, he’s bigger now, about 8-9lbs? He was a super cute pup 🙂 He does eat quickly, but whenever I fed him dry food I only gave him a little at a time so he wouldn’t scarf it all down. My mom told me to buy one of those feeding machines, but I don’t plan on giving him unlimited amounts of dry food. I also know at places like Target you can buy this thing that’s less than $5 that you put in the bowl and it helps control the food intake. He usually doesn’t vomit until the next morning. I gave him a good amount of Nutro wet last night, and he didn’t vomit at all this morning so far, which is crazy! I keep searching around my room because I just don’t believe it. He also had a healthy poop when I woke up. and I agree about our vet. They have no answers for us, only to keep buying expensive foods or pushing the endoscopy!

#47330 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Are you measuring out portions to avoid overfeeding?

#47332 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

I have, yes :/ I went to Pet Club today and I had no idea which NV to get. They had so many different kinds, my mind was going crazy. I don’t even think I got the right one 🙁

This is what I got: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQO_IOayN05-xZ2pOzDLuUJEGvbtKW-qASqGX2HOqW7qUTDXkeZpin6C_D4OhHWKUIy0e_UTF25&usqp=CAY

is that wrong?

#47333 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

It looks like you bought freeze dried raw. It’s complete and balanced and can be served like kibble. Freeze dried raw is a great product. Make sure you measure out portions. You definitely don’t want to overfeed it.

I had frozen raw in mind. Next time, take a look at the pet food store for the freezer section.

But, the product you chose is a quality product and will be highly digestible. It’s clean and easy to serve.

#47334 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

Thank you, I have a scale out right now trying to measure it. Should I feed it to him as is, or should I put water in it? The bag says I can do either one. So many questions, sorry!

#47335 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Here’s the NV website for the product you choose and there’s an interactive feeding guide: http://www.instinctpetfood.com/instinct-raw-freeze-dried-dogs-and-cats

You can feed it as is our add water if you like. Whichever you choose, I would probably start by adding a small amount to his current food and only increase the new food and decrease the old when the stool is firm. I would start with about 25% of the daily ration of the new and 75% of the daily ration of the old food divided into about three meals.

I’m curious as to why you’re using a scale. Are you trying to measure out portions by weight rather than volume? What is the portion size you’re trying to measure out?

#47337 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

I used a measuring cup, but just to be sure I also used a scale. I’m so bad at numbers and such, so I wanted to make sure I didn’t give him too much. I don’t have a lot of experience with having to measure out food. My last dog just ate wet food daily and had no issues, so this is a whole new thing for me with Chewy and his food issues. He LOVES the food. I mixed it with the Nutro like you said, and he was picking out the NV and eating it and pushing the Nutro aside. but now he has eaten all of it and I can hear him slurping some water. So far today he has not puked at all (after being only on Nutro yesterday) which is a miracle. Thank you for your help.

#47338 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I see, that’s great you were double checking your measurements.

I really hope Chewy does well on it. I have a good feeling about this.

Keep us posted!

#47339 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Lisa,

Forgive me for not taking this and for not going back through the thread to see if this was discussed… Did your vet say anything about our test Chewy for EPI?

#47392 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

I’d have to ask my vet. The blood test we did on Thursday came back today and they said his pancreatic fluids are elevated…they didn’t say it’s pancreatitis, but I don’t know what to do from here.

They want him back on the RX food, but last time we tried that he just vomited it all up (dry). Unless we try wet and see how he does on that. ahhhh 🙁

#47401 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Lisa, my Patchy has this, Chewy has to have a low fat diet, nothing over 10% fat, if he cant stomach his kibble either wet it to soften & drain the water or look for a wet food that is very low in fat around 1-2% fat cause when wet tin food is converted its higher, say the wet tin says 5% fat if it was a kibble it would be around 22% fat% when converted..so the boiled chicken & pumkin is safer or like Ive been doing for Patches breakfast I buy the light tuna in spring water & drain water & add pumkin, Patch has been better since having the Tuna, he still got his pain when I boiled the chicken breast, must still be too high in fat. …poor boy, he would of had pain after he ate to much fatty foods & spewed, they have pain on their right side under their rib cage, Patch comes to me & sits & lifts his paw for me to rub his tummy…the Rx food do they have it in wet, I dont know about RX but I know all the vet prescription foods are money back guaranteed maybe swap for some wet food.. I’d say the fat is low for the vet to prescribe…other people would know of a low fat wet tin foods that have helped their dogs that have had Pancreatitis, you’ll have to always watch his fat in food now, no treats that are high in fat etc, its good they found something now you’ll know whats happening…also dogs with Pancreatitis cant stomach kibble, its too hard for them to break down in their stomachs, that’s why Patch is on a low residue kibble, it breaks up real easy, easier on their stomach & Pancreas..wet is best for this..

#47439 Report Abuse
    losul

Lisa, I’ve been thinking about Chewy. Hopefully you have started to be able to keep badly needed nutrition in him now?

Some questions about his umbilical hernia, large or small? Has it gotten larger over the last several months? Is it painful to the touch for Chewy? I’m wondering if for some reason, perhaps financial, you had delayed the procedure, because in general a vet would do it by 5 or 6 months if they were pushing the time frame out to allow for spaying/neutering at the same time, otherwise probably earlier, and especially if it was causing problems or growing in size. From what I can determine Chewy is now about 9 months old. With a very small hernia, it might be only a bit of fat that pokes through the hole in the abdominal wall. With a larger hole, a loop of the intestine might drop into the sac and cause restriction which could definitely make Chewy vomit. Worse, a more severe restriction could even strangulate the intestine with much more dire consequences. Occaisonally the hole may even begin to close on it’s own by about 6 months. If the intestines are outside of the abdominal musculature structure and it begins closing……

This would be a large umbilical hernia, and no doubt the intestines have dropped into the sac. This one might be large enough not to substantially restrict or strangulate the intestines, depending on the actual size of the hole. It’s still quite dangerous.

http://www.faqs.org/photos/hernia-2773.jpg

“The symptoms associated with a hernia, like the one pictured in Figure 1 and 2 may initially relate to the inability of food to pass through this constricted section of intestine. Muscles within the wall of the intestine are responsible for moving food and water through the organ. Waves of contractions called peristalsis propel the contents along the length of the intestine. When an obstruction is encountered, like the one described, the peristaltic waves reverse direction and move the food backward through the entire digestive tract. This results in food and water being vomited.”

http://www.americananimalcare.com/pethealth/hernia_surgery_dogs_cats_umbilical_diaphragmatic_irguinal.html

I don’t know what is causing Chewy’s vomiting, but it’s really serious stuff to be vomiting everyday for many months, and a pup at that. You really must work on getting to the cause and very soon.

BTW, if Chewy’s case even has anything to do with acid production, low acid production can cause the same symptoms as too much acid production. I’d think thrice about self medicating with acid inhibitory drugs, especially at inspecific dosages, and remember he’s ONLY an 8 to 9 lb malnourished pup. 1/2 or 1/3 of an adult human dose???? Stomach acid is even more important to the dog, a carnivore. Acid is needed for proper digestion, especially protein digestion, acid is needed for the stomach to empty correctly, and failure to do so results in GERD. Stomach acid is a defense against bacterial infections and fungal infections, certain vitamins and minerals also require acid to be absorbed such as calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, iron, selenium, B-12, etc. Improper digestion of foods can lead to to large of particles getting into the lower digestive tract and causing allergies, diarrhea, pathogenic bacterial fermentation, etc. Acid stimulates pepsin to be released into the stomach for digestion, and for pancreatic enzymes and bile to be released into the small intestine to further digest carbs, fats and proteins. I could keep going on and on. Proper overall health begins with proper acid production. Improperly diagnosing, and prohibiting or shutting down acid production with zantac, prilosec, etc. could be the start of a vicious circle and downward spiral of, helicobacter overgrowth/ infections leading to ulcers, other pathogenic infections, colitis, gastroenteritis, IBD, pancreatitis, allergies, diabetes, malnourishment, inability to digest all but the simplest of foods (hydrolyzed), dependence on inhibitors, evermore drugs to staunch the symptoms (like metronidazole and steroids) and mask the root cause, and ever declining health. Be very careful….. and best wishes Lisa.

I wonder why acid inhibitors are some of Pharma, Inc’s. biggest blockbusters of all time?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by losul.
    #47442 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Very insightful and informative post, Losul! Thank you for sharing.

#47444 Report Abuse
    losul

You’re very welcome Betsy, and thank you for your ability to think “outside of the box” in the first place.

#47449 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

Losul, thank you for your post. Chewy’s umbilical hernia is very small. The reason why it hasn’t been done yet is because when he went in to get him spayed/neutered a few months ago, they forgot to do it. It was on the list of things to be done, but I guess they spaced and forgot. They said they were going to do it for free for us since they made a mistake. My boyfriend has said multiple times that he wondered if the hernia was causing vomiting, but the vet says no, that isn’t why. Yesterday he was only on the NV Instinct Raw and he didn’t puke this morning, so that’s good. I agree I wanted the surgery done a long time ago :/

#47452 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Lisa:
    Good news he was able to keep food down! 🙂

Losul:
    Excellent information about umbilical hernias and the side effects of commonly prescribed drugs! I have personal experience with several of the drugs discussed on this thread. Making an educated decision to use a prescribed or OTC drug is important. If it becomes necessary to use them being prepared for their side effects is essential so they can be remedied hopefully without further medication. Years ago I became aware of the side effects of antacids; calcium malabsorption being the most concerning. Another family member who was prescribed daily antacids along with other medications had constant bacterial issues with their stomach and eventually developed ulcers. It took some time to undo the damage, but we have learned from our experiences.

#47468 Report Abuse
    losul

Lisa: yes good news on keeping it down this time. Has the vet ever communicated to you what he/she thinks has been the cause of the vomiting then? Seem’s to be some communication issues and antagonism from both sides, it might be time to find a new vet relationship, Will you be switching vets now?

Lisa, that earlier pic I linked was of a very large hernia, the opening of which may have been large enough as to not restrict intestinal flow.

These pics are also definitely large enough hernias for the intestines to fall through, and they have, but they are small enough to restrict intestinal flow and cause problems;

http://www.firehousechihuahuas.com/UmbilicalHernia.jpg

http://www.asiahomes.com/dogpix/030603tn_umbilical_hernia_11weeks_Shih_Tzu_Singapore.jpg

This one would be considered a small hernia, and apparently the intestines haven’t pushed through the opening to a large degree…yet….

http://www.waggintailsdachshunds.com/Lance%20Bubble%202.JPG

Bobby dog; Thnx! Yes important to be aware, the Docs aren’t always so aware, but they definitely hear all the “plusses” from the pharmaceutical companies. Glad to hear the eventual outcome for you and family was more positive than it could have been otherwise!
    ————————
    Be sure to ask your doctor if “blank” is right for you, even though the pharmas TV ad gave no indication what the drug was for, sheesh. Thank goodness for DVR’s, lol.

#47473 Report Abuse

Lisa- Glad to hear that the NV is agreeing with him. Keep him on it at least until he gains the much needed weight.

#47479 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Lisa. So glad you went with the NV Instinct Raw and that he is keeping it down. Please give it some time while he adjusts to his new food and puts on the needed much needed weight and while his gut heals. Please keep me posted as to how your dog continues to do on the NV Raw. I’m glad you read my post when you tried the NV Dry that it had Turkey Meal in it. I’m hoping that his issues are mainly poultry and grain based intolerances and now he will begin to get well. : )

Also glad to read that you are using a scale. You might be tempted to feed him more than you should just cause he’s too thin, but don’t do that. You can feed him less than you normally would while he heals and eventually on your scale and on NV Feeding Guide you can put in the weight that you believe he should be and then figure it out from there. Remember, raw feeding is less than dry kibble. Just give him a little time to eat and keep food down. Again, please post and let me know how he’s doing.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Dori.
    #48594 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Lisa How is Chewy going on his new food, NV Instanct raw, has the vomiting stop & is he pooing normal now??

#48595 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

Hi sue…
    I have put off commenting because I feel so defeated. Chewy still vomited on the NV raw, but I may have not given enough to him to test if it really worked. He only had a small bags worth. I don’t know how long he has to be on something to see if it really works. Lately he has been on a canned Nutro “limited ingredient” for a week and still vomits on it, but it’s to tide him over until we can get him into a 2nd vet (money is limited right now unfortunately) but we are planning to go within the next 1-2 weeks. All his poos have been normal, luckily. We tried Honest Kitchen Veal, the really expensive $60 box and he wouldn’t even go near it. Our original vet wants him back on RX, but I don’t see the point if it never helped. These are some results from his last bloodwork:

“the lipase, one of the two pancreatic enzymes, is slightly elevated so recommend feeding the prescription intestinal diet as already planned to help control any pancreatic inflammation that may occur with feeding other fat sources”

#48598 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Lisa, Patch was put on the Eukanuba Intestinal low residue tin & kibble.. its Iams Intestinal low residue diet in America, but if it helps feed this to him, Patches vet wanted Patch on the Eukanuba Intestinal for 1 year, to let everything settle & heal, then this year, 6months later I started trying different kibbles, now finally Patch is doing really well on the Wellness Simple Duck & Oatmeal he’s doing perfect poos & no vomiting but Im still giving half Eukanuba Intestinal & half Wellness Simple, this week I was going to increase the Simple, but when things are going so well Im scared to rock the boat, as I dont want him sick again..I know that Iams makes a wet low residue tin food as well..also give him 4 small meals a day, this helps them hold down food, smaller meals, Patch has troubles if I give big meals, I have Patch on 5 meals a day, I break up his breakfast 7am & 9am then lunch 12pm dinner 4pm & 6.30pm, also keeps his weight on. You’ll know when a food works they stop vomiting & stop sloppy poos, the Intestinal tin food wasnt working for Patch, the vet said wait 5 days to see, but his poos were too sloppy, no vomiting, so I just stuck with the Intestinal kibble & it took Patch 2-3 months to stop the bad farting at night, he’d still vomited if I gave him the Intestinal kibble for breakfast, so I stopped kibble for breakfast & give Tuna in spring water drained with boiled pumkin for breakfast instead, I hope you get a good vet & helps Chewy, I saw 2 different vets in the begining, now I’m onto my 3rd vet, as Im against tablets & drugs & the vet said that Im not co-operating so she cant help Patch, look now no meds & Patch is doing really well, I feel like ringing her & telling her that Patch didnt need her steriods, but I dont want no bad karma for Patch..

#48601 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi Lisa

I am very sorry for your ongoing troubles with Chewy.

Because Chewy vomited chunks in the morning before any food there is definitely a digestion issue. That’s the easy part, the hard part is figuring out exactly what is going on. I would like you to try a little food trial. Boneless, skinless turkey breast would be the best for this trial. Steam 4 oz of turkey breast until it is very well done then puree it in a blender or food processor. Don’t add ANYTHING except one ounce of water if needed to puree. Divide in half. Feed Chewy half of the puree for breakfast then wait 12 hours and feed the other half.

The pureed boneless, skinless turkey breast is about as low fat, low fiber and easily digestible as you can get. This will help to determine if it is a digestion issue related to fat, lack of enzymes or motility. Food that remains in the stomach overnight will ferment and can cause nausea and vomiting. I would try the puree first without any digestive enzymes for 2 days and if Chewy throws it up I would try again with digestive enzymes. I would buy a human grade product for protein digestion only, something like this:

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-quercetin-bromelain

Since the puree is only protein and moisture I would stay away from a full spectrum digestive enzyme at this point.

Chewy and you are in my thoughts and give the little guy a hug for me!!!

#48603 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi Lisa

I almost forgot, if you use the enzymes I linked to you would add a half a capsule to the turkey as you pureed it. This would mix it well and give it time to start digesting the protein before you fed it to Chewy.

#48631 Report Abuse
    Dori

Lisa. What protein of the NV Instinct Raw did you use? You did get the Instinct correct? NV also makes a couple of other formulas but those contain grains.

How long did you feed Chewy the small bag that you had? How many meals? Are you feeding Chewy twice a day and how much at a time? Are you just eye balling it or are you measuring the food? Don’t forget that feeding raw the amount is less than kibble. Too much food per meal will also cause vomitting, diarrhea, digestive issues.

I can’t quite remember but I thought we were all thinking that he might be having an issue with chicken. If he was then I wouldn’t feed turkey or any poultry whatsoever. Initially I was feeding chicken free to Katie and couldn’t figure out why she was still sick even though I was being told that just cause she had issues with chicken didn’t mean it would be the same with other fowl or chicken fat, chicken flavor etc. Well, it turned out that once I removed all grains, soy and all fowl, the issue resolved itself within a couple of weeks or so.

#49747 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

Hi all. Since the last post, we have taken Chewy to see a new vet. They take payment plans and have good reviews online. So our new vet was very knowledgeable and gave us more options than our previous vet. We decided to do a barium just to make sure things were passing through correctly (even though he can poop/pee fine). She went through every xray with us and it showed that it went through just fine in the right time. So no problems there. That was $600, so luckily we are using the payment plan. But at least now we have some peace of mind with that! They also did a blood test that showed what we already know, that the levels in his pancreas are a little higher than usual. In the meantime, he is on prescription hills Z/D, which IS expensive, but he seems to be doing better on and a quarter of omeprazole antacid before bed. Yesterday he did well, no vomiting, but only a small amount this morning. So fingers crossed that he can gain some weight and stop vomiting 🙂

#49748 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Lisa, its good that finally you know what’s happening with little chewy, I thought it was stomach acid & pancreatitis as everything you wrote & said was what Patch had 1 year ago & still gets if he eats something that is high in fat….Its something u’ll have to watch thru out his life the fat & protein % as this causes acid then vomiting if too high….well thats what I have found with Patch…. Gee In Australia, the vet prescription diets are around the same price as the premium kibbles…..

#49750 Report Abuse

Hi Lisa- What was the actual diagnosis? It honestly doesn’t sound like the vet gave one, rather treating the symptoms in general? ZD is the allergen free diet..so is she thinking a food allergy?

#49758 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

I don’t think we will ever get a diagnosis for Chewy without doing the endoscopy. She was thinking more of a “food intolerance” rather than an allergy, since he doesn’t have skin rash, hives, itching, paw biting, etc. The endoscopy is something I just cannot afford right now, so if he keeps doing OK on this food, we will bite the bullet and just continue to buy this Z/D. They did offer that we could do trials of anitibiotics, such as fenbendazole, metronidazole, prednisolon. I didn’t want to do any of that quite yet. He LOVES the Z/D, so that’s good. apparently it’s so specially made it gets made in it’s own building. I get worried that vets are still pushing RX food on us though.

#49781 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Lisa, with Endosope they can only go so far down the esophagus & like my vet said $1000 is alot of money, then she might find nothing, so I never did get an Endoscope done on Patch…I think you have your answer to what’s wrong with Chewy his blood test came back twice with elevated Amylase & lipase levels, looks like he has mild Pancreatitis, it can cause, loss of appetite, depression, intermittent vomiting, diarrhea & anorexia…with the meds that the vet said to trial ur doing the right thing, just see how Chewy does on the Hills Z/d first, then if he’s still vomiting ask about the Hills I/d Gastro or ask can you try the Royal Canin low fat as the fat is only 7% & alot of people have had really good results with their dogs on the R/C Low fat..before you try any meds like prednisolone (steriod)…when u go back to vets, write a little list of all the questions you need to ask cause you forget when your there, well I do, then I think, oh I forgot to ask her this. But hopefully everything will work out on this new food, just watch what he eats & no high fat treats, treats can set things off again, just use his Z/d kibble as a treat for now..

#52787 Report Abuse
    Lisa C

Hello all! It has been a while since I wrote and I’ve been meaning to for a while, but kept getting sidetracked. So here I am at 2:40am, haha.

Our Chewy has been 1000000% fantastic over the last month. Our 2nd opinion vet saved the day. He has been on the omeprazole for over a month now and he hasn’t puked at all. He can eat any foods now that he couldn’t before. Wet, dry, treats of different nature. It’s a miracle. The only thing I worry is, does he have to take this tiny pill for the rest of his life? For the meantime, it’s a nice relief for all of us. We plan on talking to that vet soon to ask her about the Omeprazole. Chewy is a million times better in so many different aspects, attitude wise especially. he’s never depressed and sitting alone ALL day in his bed. he plays constantly, he’s always happy and smiling. It’s like we got our puppy back. We hadn’t seen that in SO long. it warms my heart SO MUCH! and he will be ONE next month!

Needless to say we gave up on buying Z/D as he can eat anything now and not vomit, and it’s super expensive. Currently he is back on Nutro since that’s what he has had since we first got him and he was a tiny baby.

Here’s some pics:

http://oi57.tinypic.com/5xon44.jpg
    http://oi57.tinypic.com/20q1kpy.jpg

Thanks ALL <3

#52790 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

He is adorable. Congrats!

#52792 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Great news! He’s a cutie!

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.