🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mick M

Who has the best and safe 5 star canned food. My GSD is a real picky eater

#85885 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I personally avoid canned food except as an emergency backup. I prefer to presoak a quality kibble if a dog prefers wet food and add a topper of scrambled egg or cooked lean meat or chicken (for example).
    I limit my own intake of canned foods, it’s just common sense.

#85891 Report Abuse
    Stephanie B

I’ve had good results feeding my dog (8yr choc lab) Weruva human style canned, ZiwiPeak, and Nature’s Variety Instinct. With canned food you have to be careful to look for the “gums” used as a thickening agent….like carrageenan. I have not personally tried it yet but I’ve read good things about Nature’s Logic canned as well. Best of Luck!

#85892 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Mick M-
    I guess I don’t have any common sense. I add canned food to my dogs’ morning meals. I stick to mostly budget friendly 5 star canned stews such as, 4Health, Pure Balance, Nature’s Domain and Variety’s Homestyle stews.

In the evening, they get egg, tripe, sardines, or commercial raw nuggets in their kibble.

Hope this helps!

#85895 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Mick M:
    Some 5 stars I feed are Wellness Core, Red Barn stews only, Life’s Abundance (both recipes), Tiki Dog, Weruva, Fromm Gold, and Holistic Select.

#86059 Report Abuse
    Marie P

Let’s do some home-cooking.. I have an amazing Dog Meat loaf recipe .. let me know yif you want it.. Easy to cook

Contact me via e-mail with your dogs weight ..

mpmaltese@gmail.com

#86165 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Crazy for cats I must really be void of common sense because I think kibble is the worst food u can feed. I feed canned weruva, petcurean said go fit but mostly I use THK base mix preference and add my own protein.of course I have a small yorkie so the cost is a lot less.

#86176 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Wow, weezerweeks, you are really crazy too! 🙂

#86177 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Weruva Human Style canned food is made in a human food kitchen if you consider that safe. Although human food has plenty of recalls, too.

#86235 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, its cheaper & more healthy making your own fresh home cooked meals then buying wet tin foods, especially when you have a German Shepherd, he’ll prefer nice cooked meals….. I make up batches weekly sometimes enough for a fortnight & freeze…..heaps of recipes online…. go on You Tube & look for “Dr Judy Morgan recipes” I think its her husband he’s always cooking up something & very easy if you get a crock pot or a big pot….. I make the meat loaf & make into 1/2 cup size rissoles & bake in oven…. Dr Morgan also has the supplements to balance the meals when your ready to feed….. http://www.drjudymorgan.com/articles/food-therapy/
    Dr Judy Morgan uses the Honest Kitchen base mixes as well you just add your meat….it will work out cheaper then tin foods at $4 a tin… I eat what Patch is eating when I cook up the batches of meals.. http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food

#87184 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

There are plenty of canned foods on the Editor’s Choice section– all the foods there have been researched extensively so referring to that section is a real shortcut. I feed a rotation of some of these and a couple other brands that have good ingredients and customer service.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.