šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Donald S

I saw that Purina and Hill’s are sueing Blue Buffalo for false advertising and slander, claiming Blue does use meat by products and other bad stuff in its foods- anybody know what it’s all about?

#48024 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Pretty much what you said….I don’t know all the ins and outs of the suit but I won’t feed either one so it doesn’t apply to us. If you google it I’m sure there are lots of info. on the actual happenings.

#48586 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Blue diamond is a nut company. Diamond is a pet food company. Blue Buffalo is a pet food company that’s been slandered. They don’t use byproduct and they no longer use copackers. I called the company to confirm this.

#48616 Report Abuse
    Donald S

Kritterlady- you are correct- I was thinking Purina & Hill’s/Diamond Feed suing Blue Buffalo over slander and false advertising. Just wondering what started that? Seems like a lot of money to be spent by a couple of companies that will gain no reward for their efforts. I’m not even a slight fan of Diamond Feed.

#48643 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Donald S, i can tell you what’s causing the lawsuit. A close friend of mine manages a large Petsmart and blue Buffalo is killing the other name brands in sales! It is the number one selling product in Petsmart nationally and the other brands are green with jealousy at this upstart brand. While like many here I feed primarily raw, I do rotate and sometimes add blue wilderness. Ask a competitor rep about blue an you will get tons of misinformation and lies about it. Ask the blue rep about the others an they say nothing negative about the others. A company that has to rely on lawsuits and lies about its competitors is not worth my dime. Good for blue buffalo for fighting this out loud. People are getting educated about what’s in pet food thanks to this site and others And at the retail level there is a shift in what people will put up with even from established brands.

#48662 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I mean, Blue is a shady company. They have a lot of issues and terrible customer service. People have many problems on that food that they shouldn’t be, and you have no idea where any of their sourcing/manufacturing comes from. Yes they are a name brand, but they aren’t even my first choice from petsmart or petco, much less any dog boutique. I won’t touch it

#48670 Report Abuse
    Donald S

Oh, I wouldn’t call them shady- they are much better than lots of others out there. Their food doesn’t agree with my dog, but I won’t hold that against them. She doesn’t like Merrick either, and both companies have very good ingredient lists on their products.

As far as customer service goes, I don’t think there isn’t a dog food company out there that doesn’t get half a dozen, “You killed my dog!” calls a day. That would tend to make for a rather defensive customer service attitude.

Why do you say they are shady?

#48677 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Ingredient lists are only a portion of what makes a dog food good.

Where is it manufactured, and by whom?
    Where are their ingredients sourced from?
    Why are there SO many problems with dogs on that food, when according the the GA and the ingredient panel, there shouldn’t be?
    What the hell are those lifesource bits?
    Why don’t they answer any of these questions?

I’m glad Blue is there for the general uninformed masses so they can get off of Beneful, Dog Chow, and Science Diet, but it’s certainly not a great dog food. Blue isn’t winning the dog food sales, at petsmart, maybe, but they’re still behind Purina. Did Purina lose a portion of their sales to them? Yes, but their lawsuit may not be totally off base. Not saying I’d feed purina either, but I will say that one thing hey don’t do is lie. They make you look at their food through some colored lenses, but they don’t outright tell lies other then “this is healthy for your dog”. I’m not 100% positive that I could say the same for Blue

#48679 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie
    #48680 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Interesting. I have had good dealings both with knowledgable reps in Petsmart as well as on the phone with the company. While I hear all kinds of whispers in the shadows about the food, I have had great results with it of and on over 5yrs. Several of my friends use it with no problems though like Donald there are some dogs that can’t use all formulas. The company assured me on the phone about sourcing and where the food is made. Though I am more of a home sourced raw feeder, I will continue to feed blue on occasion to my dogs as well as to my 12 rescued barn cats.

#48687 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I believe it was Blue Buffalo that refused to disclose information regarding the nutrient analysis of their products when requested by Hound Dog Mom while she was researching foods appropriate for large breed puppies; as a result, none of their foods made the LBP appropriate foods list.

#48701 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I did feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness with great success for 4 months to my terrier mix. It made a lot of difference for him, coming off of Purina One (what the people who rescued him fed him), and Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Puppy (what we were initially advised to feed him at PetSmart the day we got him). His coat got shiny, he had good appetite, good stool, no problems whatsoever. I do know people who feed Blue in rotation, and some who feed it exclusively, day in and day out, so far no problems.

I think for us, I will keep an eye on it and the cases surrounding it, but maybe in 2 years, when I have had a bunch of other foods I want to rotate Bruno through, I may go back to it if I get a good sale on it, lol. If not, I will stick with some favorites – Victor, Dr. Tim’s, Annamaet, Earthborn Holistic, and hopefully Wellness, Wysong, Canidae, Fromm, Orijen, Acana, 4Health (yet to feed those in our rotation).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.